Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-27-2010, 04:16 AM   #1
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Ebooks, Smoking, Drinking -- Bad Medicine

When I checked into a clinic for some medical tests yesterday, I wasn’t able to get away with my usual indignant, “Of course I don’t smoke or drink, Dr!”

Waiting for the clinic to open, I was reading on my Sony 505, enjoying a cigarette and a beer in the sun at a sidewalk cafe nearby. A friendly, 50-ish chap in shorts and t-shirt, eating a plate of spaghetti on the next table took an interest and I told him about my device. I bought him a beer but he declined a smoke. A tourist, I guessed because, unlike others in the cafe (including the waitress), he'd shaved that morning.

I kept glancing at my watch so that I wouldn’t be late for my appointment next door. My new drinking buddy said: “No need to rush, Mr Marr. I’m Professor Coen, your new cardiologist. This is my lunch break.

He’d spotted my bandaged foot, walking stick and accent and put two and two together. Smart these frogs! Moral of the story: If you are prone to bad habits, don't attract attention by e-reading near to a clinic or hospital.

Cheers. Neil

Last edited by neilmarr; 05-27-2010 at 05:21 AM. Reason: typo
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:48 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
You could just stop drinking alcohol and stop smoking cigarettes... I'd prefer that over stop reading...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 05:12 AM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
A tourist, I guessed because, unlike others in the cafe (including the waitress), he'd shaved that morning.
I hope everything was alright with your tests, neil.

***Your story made me laugh out loud (especially, your 'unshaved' waitress). Did you feel like a kid who got caught by a parent?***
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:29 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

***You could just stop drinking alcohol and stop smoking cigarettes... I'd prefer that over stop reading.***

Usually, I smoke a pipe, SweetPea. That's pretty harmless. And even the docs agree that I don't drink enough for it to do any damage (mind you, I live in France). Aim to quit cigarettes again on June 1. Can't give up reading or I'd be out of a job as well as one passion short.

Yep the tests were fine, thanks, Dreams. Always lots of fun because (apart from the new cardiologist, who also turns out to have moved house to a place just 50 yards from where Skovia and I live), I know pretty well every one there. It's the results that hurt.

Hoots. Neil
Old 05-27-2010, 05:55 AM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
It's the results that hurt.
I hope it's not too bad..

Last edited by dreams; 05-27-2010 at 06:06 AM.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 06:37 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
***You could just stop drinking alcohol and stop smoking cigarettes... I'd prefer that over stop reading.***

Usually, I smoke a pipe, SweetPea. That's pretty harmless. And even the docs agree that I don't drink enough for it to do any damage (mind you, I live in France). Aim to quit cigarettes again on June 1. Can't give up reading or I'd be out of a job as well as one passion short.
Hmm, I can stand pipes... They don't smell as bed as cigarettes... And my grandfather was told by his doctor he couldn't smoke cigarettes anymore and so he switched to pipe. He still died at 65 though (not bad, as he had been living on borrowed time for 10 years after he had that major hart attack, which cost him about 60% of heart functions when he was around 55...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:26 AM   #7
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
In France, you might get a little "suggestion" to quit smoking - but I have yet to have a doctor here even ask me if I drink alcohol. (I think they just assume the answer is "yes.")
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:42 AM   #8
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Neil,

Just how many members have asked you for the unshaved waitress's phone number ???

Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:48 AM   #9
CyberSmoke53
Enthusiast
CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
A tourist, I guessed because, unlike others in the cafe (including the waitress), he'd shaved that morning.

l
Thanks for sharing your story! It provided some laughter this am.. I didn't know that FRANCE had REDNECK cafes!!
CyberSmoke53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:05 AM   #10
neilmarr
neilmarr

***In France, you might get a little "suggestion"***

You're dead right, Bev. Dox here are brilliant (France is constantly at the top of the world health care rankings) -- but they're also realists and often comedians, not at all remote pedants.

I remember eating at a pavement cafe with a pal about twenty years ago, when a guy on a motorbike mounted the curb and snatched something from our table. A visiting hit-and-run bandit from Italy, I guessed, as my pal clutched her purse to her chest. He screached to a halt a few yards farther on, removed his helmet and waved my packet of Bensons in the air. It was my local doctor. Now that's how to make a point with Mediterranean-style! Salut. Neil
Old 05-27-2010, 12:15 PM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Lol!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:23 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Stopping smoking.. there's an app for that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:26 PM   #13
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
bwahahaahaha!!! too funny! love the pipe smoke! go back to it soon!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:02 PM   #14
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
You could just stop drinking alcohol and stop smoking cigarettes... I'd prefer that over stop reading...
I'd never smoke, but I wouldn't give up beer before reading! I'm huge beer snob.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:18 PM   #15
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
You know the definition of an alcoholic? A man who drinks more than his doctor.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote