Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 01:17 AM   #31
Mitchi
C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER
Mitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enough

Device: Jetbook Lite, Droid Eris
I've been using Aldiko since I got my eris in Feb, and while It's really nice (especially love the night mode, reading black on white on a backlit LCD hurts my eyes), I've had issues with adding some of my epubs from Guttenburg into the library. I got around it by using some app called Wordplayer (I think) but I wouldn't recommend it at all, the formatting was terrible -_-

I may have to look at fbReader, it sounds like it would be a good backup to have.
Mitchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #32
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
Slightly updated the first post today since there's an Android section on the board now. Again, if you have a favorite eBook reader for the platform, please let me know and I'll add it. If you have a review for one, please list your pros and cons and I'll add them to the first post as well. If you have a reader app that caters to your needs (language, character set, etc.) and care to review it, feel free to send a pm.
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #33
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
In regards to your comments on FBReader...

There is a progress indicator for the entire book, just not one for individual chapters.

It also supports the .mobi file format, although this is not documented on the website or anywhere else, AFAIKT. I discovered this by accident and was pleasantly surprised, as I convert all my books to .mobi for compatibility with my wife's Kindle.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #34
ladyjae
ladyjae began at the beginning.

Device: Rocket Ebook
anyone know a way to change my rocket ebook to android? I hate the format, I have tons of ebooks most are not the right format, I am sick of reformatting. I have an android phone with many readers on it but they are to small for me to read, need bigger screen. So would there be a way to put them on rocket ereader?
I guess not change to an android but be able to use some apps on it to read books?

Last edited by ladyjae; 08-08-2010 at 07:58 PM.
ladyjae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:46 PM   #35
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjae View Post
anyone know a way to change my rocket ebook to android? I hate the format, I have tons of ebooks most are not the right format, I am sick of reformatting. I have an android phone with many readers on it but they are to small for me to read, need bigger screen. So would there be a way to put them on rocket ereader?
I guess not change to an android but be able to use some apps on it to read books?
Get "calibre". It will do everything you need and works on just about all OSes for conversion and management of eBooks.
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 06:03 PM   #36
TPp
TPp began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Quote:
FBReader

Cons: Once you click a link, there's no reading history to get you back to the main book text. You have to create a bookmark before going to read a footnote/endnote. Once the footnote is read, you have to go back to the bookmark to continue reading.

That is very strange! I'm using footnotes links all the time, never had to create bookmarks. There is a back button, hardware one, you just press it and it take you back at exact same page where you have clicked the link.

Anyway Aldiko is a best book reader on Android in my opinion. But still far from matching best book readers for WinMo or PalmOS.
TPp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:06 PM   #37
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I just bought a Droid off eBay and absolutely love it. Aldiko is my reader of choice.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:17 PM   #38
Intri
Intri doesn't litterIntri doesn't litter

Device: Eken M002 (rebranded by Umax)
I like Aldiko (love the brightness adjusting and page turning), but is there a way to fully control it with a pure-touchscreen device with a single HW button working as a "back" button? Since it opens a book in full-screen mode, it hides software menu button along with the upper Android bar.
Intri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:34 PM   #39
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyx3 View Post
Thanks!

Anybody know if any of those support Autoscroll?

Just 'cause my N1 is a touchscreen doesn't mean I want to be constantly tapping the screen to change pages!
iReader doesn't have autoscroll, I don't think. However, you can change pages with the volume button (up/down to scroll up/down).
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #40
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
I have been using Aldiko on my Pandigital Novel for a few weeks. I love it for its customization options but have several questions for anyone more familiar with it than me.
  1. Every time I open the app it takes me to page one of the book I was reading. Shouldn't it remember what page I was on at the end of my last reading session?
  2. The "go to" option doesn't allow you to input a page number. There is just a slider. I love that (sarcasm). Let's see, I was about 2/3 thru this book. Maybe, if I'm extremely lucky, I can get to within 60-70 pages of the spot I was at.

The OEM Pandigital reader (whatever it is) uses page numbers, remembers which page I was on, and the "go to" function allows me to input an actual page number. But it has less customization than Aldiko.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:55 PM   #41
vibrunazo
vibrunazo began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Which of the clients have better text to speech?

I have been using WordPlayer, which is great and has a nice functional text to speech. But the huge downside is that it's text to speech can only play a full chapter at a time. And you cannot stop nor rewind the speech while it's reading. Each chapter of the book I'm reading takes about 40 minutes to read. What if I need a break during that time? What if I want to start reading from the middle of the chapter? That's really bad.

Is there any ebook reader with speech that offers better control over the speaking. Maybe with a read by page or pause/back/forward controls?
vibrunazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:13 PM   #42
beartard
Minister of Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibrunazo View Post
Which of the clients have better text to speech?

I have been using WordPlayer, which is great and has a nice functional text to speech. But the huge downside is that it's text to speech can only play a full chapter at a time. And you cannot stop nor rewind the speech while it's reading. Each chapter of the book I'm reading takes about 40 minutes to read. What if I need a break during that time? What if I want to start reading from the middle of the chapter? That's really bad.

Is there any ebook reader with speech that offers better control over the speaking. Maybe with a read by page or pause/back/forward controls?
It's really hard to say, and even harder to get an ebook reader with all the features you'd expect in one package. Have you tried out "multireader"? It claims to be a TTS ebook reader, but I haven't tried it out.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:37 AM   #43
lost101
Enthusiast
lost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: HTC Hero
With decent voices starting to appear on android (Loquendo Susan), I hope tts is implemented into some of the better ebook readers.
lost101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:36 AM   #44
dannylee
dannylee began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS
Wink ebook reader on the android

I love reading, and I was overjoyed when I discovered that there was an Ebook reader app on the Android market. Although the Aldiko is available on the Android Market for a very long time, when Laputa book reader was released, I tried it. Their recent version is really awesome. It works much better than Aldiko. Laputa Book Reader really has a good selection of free books. Much more than I imagine. I can browse its huge catalogs of free ebooks within its built-in websites. I’m really surprised by how many books I can read with this app. They seem to cooperate with some free eBooks websites. If you don’t really want to purchase any books, you can download eBooks from its built-in websites, where millions of free books are available. That’s what really surprises me. Hahahh, I can enjoy lots of books before sleeping every night.
dannylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:57 PM   #45
beartard
Minister of Linux

Totally revamped the first post. I took out many "not reviewed yet" lines by eliminating the "pros" and "cons" sections.

I split up the clients into sections to make them easier to find. Big booksellers' apps (Barnes & Noble, Amazon, Borders) are in their own section. There is also a section on apps that specialize in Chinese, Japanese, or Korean script. I also added a few comic/manga readers and a section on Android tools for working with eBooks.

Tags
android, android;ebooks, cliq, droid, nexus one