Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-29-2011, 06:29 AM   #76
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjirlly View Post
Are you familiar with this website, that show you authors similar to one you like?

http://www.literature-map.com/eliot+pattison.html
Added this to my Favorites list - will have fun following up the various suggested authors

Last edited by orlok; 04-29-2011 at 10:41 AM. Reason: typo
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:51 AM   #77
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
My top top contemporary authors are (the ones where I will automatically buy their next book):

Robert B Parker (sadly, few new books remaining)
Lee Child
Robert Crais
Harlan Coben
Martin Amis
Ian Banks (not his Ian M Banks persona)
Robbert Goddard
Jonathan Kellerman
Christopher Brookmyre
Colin Bateman
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 10:05 PM   #78
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Gaiman, definitely. Suzanne Collins is YA and I'm old but I would read anything by her after reading both her "Gregor the Overlander" and "Hunger Games" books. John Connolly, Michael Gruber, and Joe Hill are up there for me as is Stephen King.

Oh, and I LOVE Christopher Moore. I working my way through all of his books I can find.

Last edited by covingtoncat73; 05-02-2011 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Adding Christopher Moore
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:28 AM   #79
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 2 (x2), Kindle 1, a couple old PDAs
I did finally remember on story that still scares the you-know-what out of me. That is not a novel but the movie "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark", the early 70's movie not the 2010 movie of the same title. Haven't seen the new movie. But that 70's version had me genuinely so creeped out I did not want to watch it but I could not stop because it was such a great story and just based in enough reality that it felt plausible. And that ending, holy freaking gaud!! To this day I find myself freaked out by certain noises at night.

There was another movie called Gargoyles which came out about the same time that I first saw on late night, mid-night, movie. It too was filmed in a way that made it feel real. Steven King has nothing on either of those movies even if there are basically B-movies they worked and worked too damned well.
grumpy3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:58 AM   #80
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
No!

Yeah, I'm pretty fed up waiting for his next book.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2011, 08:17 PM   #81
straygator
Connoisseur
straygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjirlly View Post
Are you familiar with this website, that show you authors similar to one you like?

http://www.literature-map.com/eliot+pattison.html
Wow! Fun site. And does a pretty good job of grouping similar authors. Except for putting 'John D. MacDonald' next to 'Louise Erdrich' - that one made my head hurt. I like both writers, but . . .
straygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:54 AM   #82
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
C. Harris and MJ Davidson.
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:48 AM   #83
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
James Lee Burke.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:38 AM   #84
mikemck
Enthusiast
mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Kindle, Sony PRS 300, IPod Touch (Stanza)
For me it's:

China Mieville
Steven Erikson
George RR Martin
Neal Stephenson

Charles Dickens
Jules Verne
mikemck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:24 AM   #85
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
For me (not in any particular order):

Philippa Gregory
Alison Weir
Dean Koontz
Greg Iles
Stephen King
George R R Martin
Guillermo Del Toro
J.R.R Tolkein
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:47 AM   #86
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemck View Post
For me it's:

China Mieville
Neal Stephenson
Yay to those.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:52 AM   #87
mel_ann
mel_ann began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
For me it is:
Terry Pratchett
Kate Morton
Jasper Fforde
Robin Hobb
Brent Weeks

Can't think of others right now, but those are the main players anyway!
mel_ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:38 PM   #88
thalia777
thalia777 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle,Sony,IPad
Just finished Dennis Lehane's Gone Baby Gone today.Shutter Island was something else,stays in the mind long after reading(well it did for me)Has anyone one read Jonathan Littell's The Kindly Ones,and if so,what are your thoughts on it? Found it harrowing myself and much more.
thalia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #89
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
So many authors I've never read, but of those I've read at least a couple of books by:

Douglas Coupland
Rohinton Mistry

I'm always up for another Terry Pratchett book every now and then as well.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:54 AM   #90
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
David Dalglish
George R.R. Martin
Vince Flynn
Michael Connelly (Bosch stuff)
Christopher Moore
J.K. Rowling
Stephen King (non horror stuff)
Still happy with this list. But would now add:

Ernest Cline