Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 02-19-2009, 05:51 AM   #1
alehel
Zealot
alehel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Confused about firmware

I went onto bookeen's site to check what the latest firmware release is. It says 1.2 (build 796), but when I check my device it says that I'm running 1.2 (build 834). How come my device has such a high build number compared to the one that's available on their site?
alehel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:57 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
They don't do "update" releases of all the firmware releases; only when they add new functionality. New machines are generally slighly "ahead" of what's available as an update for older customers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2009, 06:26 AM   #3
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by alehel View Post
I went onto bookeen's site to check what the latest firmware release is. It says 1.2 (build 796), but when I check my device it says that I'm running 1.2 (build 834). How come my device has such a high build number compared to the one that's available on their site?
If I'm not wrong, the latest known was the 820, also not published on the web and only installed on newer machines.
It would be interesting to know what new features, if any, are there. 820 was know to add the Processor type and speed, if I remember, but nothing else was know. Bookeen are quite tight lipped about it.
everybody is expecting the new FW release in the "1st Quarter 2009". It should be close, hopefully.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
alehel
Zealot

Just double checked. It's definately build 834. I've no idea what's different though as this is my first ebook reader.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:32 AM   #5
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Hey, at least it means that they are still alive and working on the firmware.
This is reassuring ;-)
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2009, 11:41 AM   #6
nelsonescorcio
Zealot
nelsonescorcio doesn't litternelsonescorcio doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
They could be working 24 hours a day - the silence is what troubles me. They do not say a word on this issue, even when directly asked on their own blog!

Come on, this is not a sensitive matter! Whats the problem about saying your costumers "hey, 2 more weeks, 2 more months, 2 more whatever"?
nelsonescorcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonescorcio View Post
Come on, this is not a sensitive matter! Whats the problem about saying your costumers "hey, 2 more weeks, 2 more months, 2 more whatever"?
They are damned if they do, and damned if they don't. If they say "it'll be out in two weeks" and there's an unexpected hitch (which often happens in software projects) and it takes a month, people would probably moan about it more than if they'd just stayed silent.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:15 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They are damned if they do, and damned if they don't. If they say "it'll be out in two weeks" and there's an unexpected hitch (which often happens in software projects) and it takes a month, people would probably moan about it more than if they'd just stayed silent.
Why not just say "We are working on it and it will be out when it will be out, but it will be out". That would let the customers know they are working and not just doing nothing.

But, given that Bookeen is making a big mistake, I think they should give up on ePub & PDF with DRM as this will cause them to have to remove Mobipocket from the Gen3. And then it will be a choice of keep the firmware you have or upgrade and lose Mobipocket support.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:22 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why not just say "We are working on it and it will be out when it will be out, but it will be out". That would let the customers know they are working and not just doing nothing.
They have said that there will be a firmware release "early in 2009". That should be vague enough to cover most eventualities.

Quote:
But, given that Bookeen is making a big mistake, I think they should give up on ePub & PDF with DRM as this will cause them to have to remove Mobipocket from the Gen3. And then it will be a choice of keep the firmware you have or upgrade and lose Mobipocket support.
Of course, Jon - you know so much more about their contractual obligations than they themselves do, right?
Old 02-19-2009, 12:32 PM   #10
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonescorcio View Post
They could be working 24 hours a day - the silence is what troubles me. They do not say a word on this issue, even when directly asked on their own blog!

This is simply not unique to Bookeen -- in the eBook or even the software industry.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #11
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
They've pretty much done just that.

Quote:
I think you are making assumptions here that are likely unwarranted based upon the evidence at hand. Yes, we have all heard of the Mobi exclusivity...but none of us here know the specific contractual terms and/or what may have been re-negotiated.

I simply cannot see Mobi support being dropped from the Gen3.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:40 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I cannot see Mobipocket giving up being the exclusive DRM on the Gen3.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #13
bwaldron
Wizard

Quote:
I cannot see Mobipocket giving up being the exclusive DRM on the Gen3.
I understand. However, it is at least as difficult for me to see Bookeen giving up on Mobipocket on the Gen3. If they do, I'll give up on my Cybook (or at least never upgrade the firmware!).

We shall see...
Old 02-19-2009, 01:00 PM   #14
alehel
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They have said that there will be a firmware release "early in 2009". That should be vague enough to cover most eventualities
To be more precis, 1st quarter of 2009. There's only 5 or 6 weeks left of that quarter.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:03 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Wasn't the "first quarter" the thing about Adobe? The "early 2009" date was a previous announcement about firmware releases made on the blog.