Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #91
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
OMG, Capt. Kangaroo (message #86)! LOL Opps, guess I just gave away my "age" but I loved the Capt's show. Right up there with Mickey Mouse Club.
So to be legal, guess I should comment on this thread....... the new Kindle looks much better but I'll stick with my PRS 505. But you never know, insanity could strike at any time!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #92
elsussman
Connoisseur
elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle paperwhite, kindle voyage and android kindle app
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's really not pocketable. It's a little wider, a little shorter, and considerably heavier than the CyBook Gen3 (which is 188x118x8mm and weighs 174g). Put it in your pocket and you'll almost certainly "bend" it and shatter the screen substrate.
this to me is the deal breaker ....size....I read books on my pda i find both the kindle and the sony too big to fit in my jacket pocket and therefore it just won't fly for me..

I guess I have the same idea as James Loeb when he started the Loeb Classical Library( those neat little green books of greek classics) he said he wanted "handy books of a size that would fit in a gentleman's pocket."

I don't know if I am a gentleman but that is the size of my pocket.

Elihu
elsussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2009, 01:07 PM   #93
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsussman View Post
this to me is the deal breaker ....size....I read books on my pda i find both the kindle and the sony too big to fit in my jacket pocket and therefore it just won't fly for me..

I guess I have the same idea as James Loeb when he started the Loeb Classical Library( those neat little green books of greek classics) he said he wanted "handy books of a size that would fit in a gentleman's pocket."

I don't know if I am a gentleman but that is the size of my pocket.

Elihu
You've forgotten the Red ones that are Latin classics
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:11 PM   #94
terrysimpson
terrysimpson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I love my Kindle, and look forward to the new one. I hope they email those of us who have version one, so we can get version two -- trying to keep the economy going, one Kindle at a time
terrysimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:20 PM   #95
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrysimpson View Post
I love my Kindle, and look forward to the new one. I hope they email those of us who have version one, so we can get version two -- trying to keep the economy going, one Kindle at a time
You will be able to buy a Kindle 2, transfer all your content (sync the two devices), and then sell your Kindle 1 on Amazon. From Exciting News Getting in Line For 2nd Generation Kindle:
Quote:
One thing that Amazon knows is that one of the biggest sources for Kindle 2.0 orders will be previous Kindle 1.0 buyers. That's the main reason the company is presently in the middle of a firmware upgrade (1.2) to streamline synchronicity between multiple Kindles assigned to a single customer account. It is also the reason the company recently opened its own Marketplace features to allow easy after-market sales of Kindle 1.0 units by Kindle owners.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2009, 01:27 PM   #96
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrysimpson View Post

Hello Terry, and welcome to MobileRead. You'll find lots of great info and help here.

I for one, have no interest in upgrading......mine is working great, does everything I need it too, even reading library books on it.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #97
elsussman
Connoisseur
elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle paperwhite, kindle voyage and android kindle app
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
You've forgotten the Red ones that are Latin classics
then there are the blue ones (i tatti renaissance classics). I like to think the greeks said.... the romans copied it .... and the renaissance guys rediscovered it... with apologies to all you classical scholars out there

Elihu
elsussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:34 PM   #98
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Wow. 27,000 views of this thread in just 6 hours. A hot topic.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #99
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Can't wait... for Kindle 2. I'm first in line to order it if it really gets released Feb. 9...
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #100
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
As for the memory card, they could easily have a microSD slot on the edge. I think they'd be foolish not to include expandable memory. I'm hoping there's a USB port there, too.

I would love to see them add international support. I just hope they can get the rights situation squared away soon. Digital rights are regional just like print rights (silly, I know) so just because a book is available on Amazon's US site it doesn't mean they can sell it elsewhere. I know plenty of people overseas currently buy books that violate these rules. It's still small in the scheme of things. Amazon's big enough to get pounded for something like that so they couldn't just allow open access to the US collection. One thing that makes me hopeful they've been working on it is the fact that we're seeing other stores getting leaned on to enforce these restrictions. Maybe the rights holders are getting antsy about people buying their titles from US sources when they're about to have an opportunity to really profit from them. I would be pleasantly surprised if this is Monday's announcement just because it's such a huge undertaking but I think this is where Amazon wants to go.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:34 PM   #101
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
The new design is so, so .... generic, bland. In time there will be skins to disguise it's blahness.

More interested in features. Number one is better organization via folders. I'd like to at least be able to organize by author and genre. The second is fonts. How about a choice?

Hopefully, the metal back (ugg, far prefer the non-skid backing on the current Kindle) is removable so we can access the battery and add a SD card.

I went ahead and put in an order for a Kindle and I'll see if I'm offered a Kindle 2.0.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #102
iching
iching began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2, have iPod touch
Hi!
I was very excited to get a Kindle for Christmas- or rather, an apologetic card explaining about the backorder, which was sad. Then I got all excited about choosing an Oberon cover. Fortunately I realized in time before ordering that I would likely end up with a Kindle 2 and Oberon would have to fire up a new design.

I read fairly happily on my iPod touch but only in bed as I am falling asleep, not for serious reading. Although it's great to have books in my pocket if I get trapped by boredom somewhere.

Can't wait! I hope they kept the SD though.
iching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:39 PM   #103
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Battery/SD Card

Note that there are two slots on the left side, equally spaced from top and bottom. These are probably for removal of the metal back which implies a replaceable battery and maybe internal card slot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slots.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	22834  
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:44 PM   #104
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
Note that there are two slots on the left side, equally spaced from top and bottom. These are probably for removal of the metal back which implies a replaceable battery and maybe internal card slot.
Yep. I saw that, too. I doubt they'd put the memory card back there since people will likely want to access that a bit more often but for the battery and the reset button, that's a fine place. You rarely need to get to those things.

You can see the slots pretty well here, too:

Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:46 PM   #105
Ladyblue
Ladyblue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I love my original Kindle and it does exactly what I want...allows me to read my books anywhere. So I will stick with it.
Ladyblue is offline   Reply With Quote