Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
stevet
Enthusiast
stevet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600 Touch
Free-Ebook.net?

I've been getting a lot of marketing from free-ebook.net, wanting me to give them money to be a VIP. You have to be a VIP to d/l epub books, else you have to read in .txt or online in the browser using .pdf. So the site isn't much good without being a VIP.

Is anyone familiar with this site? Do they have a large catalog? Are the books any good? Everything I've seen is free, and from authors I don't know. They claim to be:

"Free-Ebooks.net is the internet's #1 online source for free ebook downloads, resources and author"

But they want $25 for a "halfprice lifetime VIP membership", and I wonder if anyone's found it worth $25 or $50?
stevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I just looked over their offerings, and it looks like mostly self-published books to me.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Looks like a company named Paradise Publishers Inc. is behind that website, specifically this guy.

As to the claim of being the "#1 online source for free ebook downloads"... I wonder based on what?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
Free-eBooks.net
Free-eBooks.net began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hi all,

Nic from Free-eBooks.net here (aka. 'that guy' from the above post).

We offer 2 types of memberships:

1) a free Standard account that lets you download any 5 eBooks of your choice per month each and every month in the TXT and PDF format.

2) a paid VIP membership that lets you download unlimited eBooks in any format.

The VIP level offers additional benefits, but there is no harm in downloading books as a free standard member. You can always use any number of free online programs to convert the PDFs (or TXTs) to another format that works for you.

We mostly publish new and independent authors, not mainstream bestsellers (be wary of any site that offers bestsellers for 'free'). The vast majority of the books I personally read are from Free-eBooks.net and I thoroughly enjoy them. With thousands of titles, hopefully you'll be able to enjoy a number of them yourself. You never know, you may discover a future bestseller. And again, there is no risk or obligation as a free Standard member.

Thanks for reaching out to us. And happy reading everyone!

Last edited by Free-eBooks.net; 09-11-2013 at 11:28 AM. Reason: typo
Free-eBooks.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
As to the claim of being the "#1 online source for free ebook downloads"... I wonder based on what?
Exactly... A weighty and broad reaching claim based on... hot air probably.
As soon as somebody (regardless of what the subject matter is) claims to be $_superlative without clarifying references I not only ignore it as marketing-babble I also tend to ignore the whole appraised affair. Better offer less bombastic facts ant honestly point out WHY people should come.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
Free-eBooks.net

Thanks for the feedback Freeshadow. That tag line has been on there for ages. We were among the first to offer eBooks (free or paid). Our site dates back to 2000 and for many years this was indeed true. It could probably use a revisit (sometimes you just don't take notice of these types of things after a while). In any case, whether you want to give our books a shot or not, I wish you the best and as always…happy reading!
Old 09-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
stevet
Enthusiast

Thanks everyone, and thanks Free-eBooks for the clarification on what you have in the collection. Do you know how many total books you have?
Old 09-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
Free-eBooks.net

Pleasure Stevet! 13,465 and counting. We usually get a dozen or so new submissions daily (author submit to us, we don't 'farm' books) so we're constantly adding new titles. At your service anytime!
Old 09-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #9
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
So: $50 lifetime membership, possibly $25 during a sale... or $8/month renewable, gets access to 13,000+ ebooks? Is there a limit on how many can be downloaded per day or per month?

What's to prevent someone from buying a one-month membership and downloading everything on the site?
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #10
Free-eBooks.net

Hi Elfwreck. Those are the correct prices as of today. There are no limits. The Lifetime VIP membership is by far the most purchased VIP option as people like to take their time and also enjoy the titles we're constantly adding. At the end of the day we're simply happy to see people reading period (for free or as a VIP).
Old 09-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I think we just got "I'm-Confused Cop/Allow-Me-To-Clarify Cop"ped, right there.
Definitely a tag-team vibe. Could be wrong though!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #12
Free-eBooks.net

LOL. Not much I can do to prove otherwise, but that's not the case DiaDealer. I just came across this thread thanks to a Google Alert and felt it was appropriate to help clear up any misunderstanding.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #13
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
I checked out their website and noticed they have a 1/2 off special right now for VIP membership.

Only $20, so I think its actually more then half off =)

I checked out their selection and decided to sign up.

Thanks to the original poster, I think its a decent deal and look forward to some good reading.

NOTE: I have no relation to anyone connected to the website, just wanted to add my 2cents =)
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #14
stevet
Enthusiast

Just one more question out of curiosity. Before Free-EBook.net joined this thread I had already contacted their customer support and asked basically the same questions. The answer I got back from them today was
"We have approximately 6622 books, every day new books are submitted."

But Free-Ebook posted here yesterday they had 13,465.

So which is correct, 13,465 or 6622?
Old 09-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #15
Free-eBooks.net

13,465 was correct as of yesterday for total books Stevet.