Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #241
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I hope the nasty italics bug introduced by the KitKat upgrade will be squashed in Moon+ soon.
For updates on resolving this issue, see the Moon+ thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...87#post2704387

What sucks about the KitKat update is that it's not the same full-fledged KitKat for all devices. Nexus 5 is getting the full KitKat, but Nexus 7 is not. It's like a KitKat candy-bar with several pieces bitten off by someone else.

For example, in the Nexus 5 KitKat, you can create an unlimited amount of home-screens, rearrange your home-screens, the bottom navigation bar is transparent, etc. None of this is available in the Nexus 7 KitKat's default launcher. There is very little difference on the 2013 Nexus 7 for me between Jelly Bean and KitKat, other than that the icons in the top right corner of the screen are now white instead of blue (which I dislike), and the new "immersive mode", which is a huge improvement, and it's definitely worth upgrading to KitKat if only because of that.

The books in Moon+ Reader Pro look 300% nicer in immersive mode than without it. See the 3 attached screenshots for a few of my preferred color themes (the last two are night themes). It's such a blessing not to see those 3 Android buttons there anymore! Of course, a single tap anywhere on the screen is enough to bring them back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-12-02 16.54.19.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	342.3 KB
ID:	116259   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-11-29 04.14.44.png
Views:	297
Size:	906.2 KB
ID:	116260   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-12-02 23.34.58.png
Views:	289
Size:	991.8 KB
ID:	116261  
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #242
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Not as convenient I know, but as mentioned up thread somewhere, Nova Launcher Beta gives you all the home screen manipulation you could want and the transparent bars.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #243
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Not as convenient I know, but as mentioned up thread somewhere, Nova Launcher Beta gives you all the home screen manipulation you could want and the transparent bars.
I have no complaints I am upgrading from a Kindle Fire so I love the home screen design.

What is immersion mode? I've heard that mention twice now.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #244
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
What is immersion mode? I've heard that mention twice now.
A high-flown term for what should be obvious... the 3 Android navigation buttons getting out of the way, not reducing screen real estate in situations such as reading an e-book. In Jelly Bean and earlier, they were permanently displayed, reducing the space on which the book text was displayed. Discussed and rehashed endlessly earlier in this thread.

The trouble is, there might be some additional apps such as Moon+ Reader Pro where getting rid of the 3 buttons might make sense, too... but it's not always as clear-cut in every app, as it is in Moon+, whether the 3 buttons being hidden would be preferable or not. Quite a conundrum on Android devices.

By the way, "immersive mode" does not work for me (yet) in Mantano -- yet another reason for me to prefer Moon+ over Mantano. Also, I can't seem to be able to adjust paragraph spacing in Mantano, which is a must for me; and I can't find any textured backgrounds in Mantano, either, or the ability to use my own custom textured backgrounds (perhaps I haven't looked for it enough), which is another must for me.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #245
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
A high-flown term for what should be obvious... the 3 Android navigation buttons getting out of the way, not reducing screen real estate in situations such as reading an e-book. In Jelly Bean and earlier, they were permanently displayed, reducing the space on which the book text was displayed. Discussed and rehashed endlessly earlier in this thread.

The trouble is, there might be some additional apps such as Moon+ Reader Pro where getting rid of the 3 buttons might make sense, too... but it's not always as clear-cut in every app, as it is in Moon+, whether the 3 buttons being hidden would be preferable or not. Quite a conundrum on Android devices.

By the way, "immersive mode" does not work for me (yet) in Mantano -- yet another reason for me to prefer Moon+ over Mantano. Also, I can't seem to be able to adjust paragraph spacing in Mantano, which is a must for me; and I can't find any textured backgrounds in Mantano, either, or the ability to use my own custom textured backgrounds (perhaps I haven't looked for it enough), which is another must for me.
I came into the thread only after I got KitKat so I am clueless when it comes to KitKat. All my other devices have Gingerbread except the new Kindle Fire I got on Cyber Monday it has a Jelly Bean hybrid I think?

Immersive mode is nice but not necessary for me. I am use to reading on a 6" Kindle so I didn't even notice till you mentioned it.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #246
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Immersive mode works on FBReader as well if that's of any interest.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #247
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
Immersive mode is nice but not necessary for me. I am use to reading on a 6" Kindle so I didn't even notice till you mentioned it.

Quite the opposite situation for me: my primary tablet is a 10-inch iPad 3, so coming from that to Nexus 7 makes the screen look positively tiny, and to see even that "tiny" space further reduced by those 3 Android buttons being needlessly displayed all the time, was just infuriating.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #248
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Quite the opposite situation for me: my primary tablet is a 10-inch iPad 3, so coming from that to Nexus 7 makes the screen look positively tiny, and to see even that "tiny" space further reduced by those 3 Android buttons being needlessly displayed all the time, was just infuriating.
I could never read on a screen that big. The 7" is perfect for me. I have 5" and 4.2" tablet as well and when I first started before Kindle Fires I read on my 3.2" phone screen in the dark.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #249
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
Immersive mode works on FBReader as well if that's of any interest.

Last time I checked, I found its customisation options even more limited than in Mantano. As mentioned, paragraph spacing and custom background textures are two must-have features for me, and I'm afraid only Moon+ Reader Pro satisfies me on Android in that regard.

(I admit Moon+ is nothing for CSS aficionados, because Moon+ takes great liberties in displaying the text -- fidelity comes second to customisability in Moon+, which is an approach I prefer.)
Old 12-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #250
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Last time I checked, I found its customisation options even more limited than in Mantano. As mentioned, paragraph spacing and custom background textures are two must-have features for me, and I'm afraid only Moon+ Reader Pro satisfies me on Android in that regard.

(I admit Moon+ is nothing for CSS aficionados, because Moon+ takes great liberties in displaying the text -- fidelity comes second to customisability in Moon+, which is an approach I prefer.)
Fair enough, personally, I find Moon's interface practically unusable. My needs are clearly simpler than yours. FBReader suits me just fine.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #251
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
I could never read on a screen that big.
I prefer large fonts so as to reduce eye-strain, so I find the 10-inch screen perfect for my needs. The downside is, of course, that a 10-inch device is more difficult to handle than a 7-inch device, due to increased weight and dimensions. Even so, the bottom line for me is I prefer a 10-inch device for reading e-books. Even back in the old days when I was still using e-ink Kindles, I preferred Kindle DX over the classic 6-inch Kindle.

And yes, even further back, in the Stone Age of handheld devices, I used to read books on my puny PDA screens as well. (Shudder.) That is today only temporarily needed in on-the-go or emergency situations on our mobile phone screens, thank heavens.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #252
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
I find Moon's interface practically unusable.

Hmm, what I like best about Moon's interface is that you can make it go away almost completely, perhaps except for that very smart and useful tiny bottom status bar (and you can hide even that, if so desired). Moon allows you to dedicate 100% of your screen space to the book you are reading, making it the perfect electronic equivalent to a paper book.

I admit that Moon's settings screens are geeky... but once you set up the themes/layouts you prefer, the result are just e-books that are (in my opinion) beautiful to look at and a joy to read (and annotate), as illustrated by the 3 screenshots posted above.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #253
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
For example, in the Nexus 5 KitKat, you can create an unlimited amount of home-screens, rearrange your home-screens, the bottom navigation bar is transparent, etc. None of this is available in the Nexus 7 KitKat's default launcher. There is very little difference on the 2013 Nexus 7 for me between Jelly Bean and KitKat, other than that the icons in the top right corner of the screen are now white instead of blue (which I dislike), and the new "immersive mode", which is a huge improvement, and it's definitely worth upgrading to KitKat if only because of that.
You can install the GEL in your Nexus 7, all you need is a small APK available here.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #254
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Hmm, what I like best about Moon's interface is that you can make it go away almost completely, perhaps except for that very smart and useful tiny bottom status bar (and you can hide even that, if so desired). Moon allows you to dedicate 100% of your screen space to the book you are reading, making it the perfect electronic equivalent to a paper book.

I admit that Moon's settings screens are geeky... but once you set up the themes/layouts you prefer, the result are just e-books that are (in my opinion) beautiful to look at and a joy to read (and annotate), as illustrated by the 3 screenshots posted above.
It's purely a matter of personal preference, but I couldn't read with those backgrounds. I'll stick with FBReader and be grateful that there is a range of options out there to suit a range of tastes.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #255
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
You can install the GEL in your Nexus 7, all you need is a small APK available here.
Thanks, I don't need it that urgently for now. I was simply commenting it surprised me to see such radically different implementations of KitKat on various Nexus devices.

By the way, that Google Now thing seems to be a very messy, hit-and-miss affair. Half the time when trying to search via Google in the top search bar on the home screen, no search results appear. Also, I can swear that the "OK, Google" voice command used to work for me previously (don't remember quite when it was), but it no longer works for me today.

Well, I don't really care -- I need neither Google Now nor the top search toolbar... it's just a general comment that the Android environment can be pretty chaotic at times.

Quote:
It's purely a matter of personal preference, but I couldn't read with those backgrounds.
Naturally, a personal preference. I, conversely, detest all solid-colour backgrounds -- they put me to sleep, due to being so monotonous. Whereas if there are, for example, those little red flames in the background of my night themes... they positively keep me awake. (Which means I'm not among those who read a book to avoid taking a sleeping pill.)