Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #376
Ubermensch
Connoisseur
Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiart View Post
Very simple way to resolve this problem: Get a courier address in the U.S, and have them forward your nook to wherever you live.

As for credit card, I paid with a Visa, obviously emitted in my own country, and had no problems whatsoever. Its all a matter of billing addresses, I guess
Shipping address* ?
Ubermensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #377
maxiart
The Black-Hearted
maxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the husk

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermensch View Post
Shipping address* ?
Both, actually.
maxiart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #378
tarzanphan60
Enthusiast
tarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Nook Color, Tablet, HD, HD+
Wow. After reading a bunch of these posts, I guess I have taken it for granted how lucky I am with all my reading devices to live in the US.
tarzanphan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #379
maxiart
The Black-Hearted
maxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the husk

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I would edit my post, but being unable, I'll just update it here:

Seems like using a US vpn is really neccesary after all. I'd recommend Tunnelbear, which is free and immensely easy to use.

With a vpn, and a US shipping/billing address, I don't think anyone will have any sort of problems with buying from B&N.
maxiart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:13 AM   #380
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougahole View Post
I guess that we must have given them enough time by now. Considering that the first post was way back, they have not progressed one bit. I am Canadian and purchased my Nook in the US. I have complained to them numerous times and they always tell you the same thing, 'it is coming'
After all, do we really need B&N. With all of the other options out there it is their own fault if they shoot themselves in the foot.
The final response that I received only yesterday is that there a limited number of books that are available to other than US readers, but you have to look for them and it looks like you only find out at checkout if the book qualifies. Not what I would call good marketing or customer service.
That's ridiculous. Other ebookstores have no problem serving up books with appropriate geo-restrictions based on your country of residence. Cleary B&N has zero interest in any markets outside the US. Fortunately Kobo and all the smaller ebookstores are happy to sell ebooks to Canadians that you can load on your Nook.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #381
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
That's ridiculous. Other ebookstores have no problem serving up books with appropriate geo-restrictions based on your country of residence. Cleary B&N has zero interest in any markets outside the US. Fortunately Kobo and all the smaller ebookstores are happy to sell ebooks to Canadians that you can load on your Nook.
Register your B&N account with an US shipping and billing address. Problem solved! (Canadians do not have to use an VPN).
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:57 AM   #382
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Interestingly, part of the agreement with Microsoft requires B&N/NewCo to push out to other geographies, so hopefully this might improve.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:52 AM   #383
rhermans
rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhermans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook touch glow in the dark
For as far as I've found on the internet, B&N already have since Feb. a company in Germany, Barnes & Noble Digital Media GmbH and have started in the Netherlands with setting up the legal mumbo jumbo. Living in Belgium where we must have the most rotten organisation handling publishing rights it'll take at least one year more than the Netherlands to get here. But there is hope.
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:56 AM   #384
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I don't know how Kobo managed it. They boast being able to sell in over 170 different countries. I find it hard to believe they negotiated the publishing rights in 170 different countries and Apple, Amazon, B&N etc etc take years to get rights to sell in only a few countries. Either Kobo is has found an amazing loophole, is passing on the violation of the publishing rights to the customer or the rest of the ebook companies are just lazy. In B&N case, since they haven't even started selling overseas, I'd put them in the latter group.
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #385
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Well, don't know if anyone saw this but B&N IS going international; well, a little anyway. I just saw an article on Engadget but here is the B&N UK site http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook-uk/379003674 Hopefully, this is only the beginning and they aren't going to stop there.
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #386
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TongueTied View Post
I don't know how Kobo managed it. They boast being able to sell in over 170 different countries. I find it hard to believe they negotiated the publishing rights in 170 different countries and Apple, Amazon, B&N etc etc take years to get rights to sell in only a few countries. Either Kobo is has found an amazing loophole, is passing on the violation of the publishing rights to the customer or the rest of the ebook companies are just lazy. In B&N case, since they haven't even started selling overseas, I'd put them in the latter group.
Kobo does not say they are selling all their books to 170 countries. To a lot of countries they probably are selling only a very small number of books that have no geo restrictions.
Amazon did the same when they started selling Kindle books to the Netherlands. Most books from popular writers were not available to the Netherlands. You could only buy a very small number of books. These days you can buy a lot more Kindle books from the Netherlands. A lot of these books are the UK editions. You can still not buy the US editions from the Netherlands.

Now B&N has aquired the rights to sell UK ebooks (opening an UK store in Oktober), they will probably be able to use these UK books for their other European stores in countries like the Netherlands and Germany.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:39 AM   #387
Dougahole
Dougahole began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Let me add another wrench into the mess!! I am a Canadian who winters in Puerto Rico. Bought a NOOK down there. After returning home discovered that I was unable to setup an account due to not having a US based credit card and address. OK, there are always other options for obtaining books. Recently my nook went 'Bonkers' screen flashing and no response whatsoever. After contacting B&N they will deliver one to anywhere in the lower 48, but not to PR or to Canada, and only if I ship the defective model to them AT MY COST, which I may add, does not apply to US customers, to them shipping is free. If this is not REAL DISCRIMINATION then I have not experienced it yet. After a very heated conversation with their Customer Care (is that an oxymoron or what) they promised to compensate me for the shipping cost and would send out a $20.00 voucher by email. Well, that was two weeks ago and I have not seen that email yet.
So to say that I am disappointed in B&N is an understatement. The other unfortunate part is that I bought a nook for each member of the family. This was probably a poor decision.
I can not get over how they go out of their way to shoot themselves in the foot!!

Last edited by Dougahole; 08-24-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Dougahole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #388
ckchan
ckchan began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Hi guys,

I'm able to dl free books online from the BN.com store, but I still can't register the device itself (perhaps it can detect that my IP address is outside the US). My question is:

If I purchase a VPN service, how can my Nook Simple Touch connect to it? Do I have configure my router? Thanks for the help in advance.
ckchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #389
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckchan View Post
Hi guys,

I'm able to dl free books online from the BN.com store, but I still can't register the device itself (perhaps it can detect that my IP address is outside the US). My question is:

If I purchase a VPN service, how can my Nook Simple Touch connect to it? Do I have configure my router? Thanks for the help in advance.
You can register the NST anywhere in the world, there are no restrictions. Just make sure your B&N account is registered with an US shipping and billing address.
You NST must have a Wifi connection to register it.
What error are you getting? What is going wrong?
Old 08-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #390
ckchan
ckchan began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
You can register the NST anywhere in the world, there are no restrictions. Just make sure your B&N account is registered with an US shipping and billing address.
You NST must have a Wifi connection to register it.
What error are you getting? What is going wrong?
Hi, I have a B&N account with my friend's US address. After logging in my BN account info, the next page would be a notification about an error registering my device and that I should call customer support.
ckchan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b&n, barnes and noble, international, nook, overseas