Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
Preacher0815
Preacher0815 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 301+
which reader for just reading?

Hi,

I'm looking for a new reader as I feel I could do with an upgrade over my current reader, a Pocketbook 301+.

After some looking around, I'm somewhat torn between a couple of devices, which are:
  • Google Nexus 7
    • + would allow to also read graphical novels
    • + can be rooted to allow for great customization
    • - battery needs to be recharged more frequently

• Pocketbook Touch Lux
    • though I think I may have read something about the company having troubles staying in business currently. Please correct me if I read wrong and I will edit this out as to not confuse other visitors of this forum
    • + had great customer service experience with them in the past
    • + the 301+ seems very robust as it works to this day

• Sony PRS-T2
    • + has Android as an OS and can be rooted which allows for great personalization
    • + best readability as far as I have seen

The thing is, I think I'm not that into graphical novels. Strangely enough though I tend to read through almost every graphical novel that a friend of me makes me aware of. We do seem to have a similar taste in that regard.

Since a reader or tablet is going to be used almost solely for reading, my very short list of preferences is like this (from very important to, well, less important but not totally unimportant ):

- great paper-like readability (doesn't necessarily need a light source)
- high resolution
- long life per battery charge

Which reader from the list above do you folks think would be a good or even great reader for me? Or perhaps even something not on that list?

Thanks!
Preacher0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
Except for graphic novels, the Kindle PW 2nd Generation is the hands down winner for most.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I don't understand. If you want a unit for 'just reading' why do you NEED customization? Any Eink reader is your best choice for comfort in reading and battery life. The only difference between most of the readers is how they allow you to shelve your books. Maybe you need to be more specific about the type of customization you think you need.

I personally am getting out of the habit of carrying a large library. I just have about a dozen books plus all the books of a series. Everything else is stored in Calibre. Sony had the BEST shelving system, followed by the Kindle. It's not that I don't like Nook's shelving system, but it doesn't take it off the main listing, so you don't know for sure if everything is shelved or not (lots of people have 300 books on their readers, so it's important to know that).

edited to add: The non-lighted eink readers are more battery efficient than the lighted ones. They also weigh less. If you have generally good lighting where you read, I wouldn't bother with the lighted one.

Last edited by Tarana; 10-17-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
Preacher0815

I love to keep my options open. On a device that can be rooted, for example it would be possible to install yet another PDF viewer application, one that can handle reflow better.

After some some digging, the Kobo Aura HD sparked my interest as well. The display has the highest ppi among readers, but Kobo blew it from my point of view in regards of build quality of the device as well as an unnecessarily invasive registration process users have to undergo just to get the device working.

Anyway, I am now very tempted to hold out for more devices to be released in the 6" to 7" size range sporting 1440x1080 displays.

The newest iteration of the Kindle Paperwhite also looks interesting. Does it require some sort of registration process before it can be used?

Dang, what should I do?

PS: I'm strongly leaning towards the Pocketbook Touch Lux. The Kindle also needs to be registered, like the Kobo. The Sony PRS-T2 only has a 800x600 display. The T3 has a 1024x768 one, but handles badly while in its enclosure. The enclosure can be removed, but then you have to deal with the uneven backside of the device.

Didn't think privacy would be an issue with e-readers so soon.

Last edited by Preacher0815; 10-17-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The Kobo Aura HD is definitely the best of the Kobo readers, the build quality of it seems pretty good, it's the newer Kobo Aura (the standard 6") that has a lot more issues. For me, it's always concerns about firmware/bugs that matter with Kobo. However, if I was in the market for a bigger screen, the Aura HD looks good. Also, it's the only real option that is available, unless you are willing to wait and see.... and who knows how long that wait could be.

For non-registration, the Pocketbook is probably the best option, but from video reviews, the light on it isn't that great when compared with the new Paperwhite (and both the Aura's). If you are willing to root, there are always options in the Kindle Developers Forum to root and disable the need for registration, no idea if they are sorted for the new PW or not though....

You can apparently get T3's without the cover, but so far there's only been any mention of that in Germany (source).
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
How about the K4 Black version? I use this and it is a brilliant no thrills e-reader. You can customise margins, fonts etc if you jailbreak which is really easy (I am useless with tech, but even I managed it). It is very light, and just the right size. If you want an e-reader just for reading, give this a look.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #7
Preacher0815

The K4 unfortunately only has a 800x600 display, and the PW 2013 edition doesn't appear to have any jailbreaks yet.

The PRS-T3S however does look quite interesting. I'm keeping it in mind.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
You can use a Kindle without registering. You will not be able to use collections and you might not be able to use the dictionaries they provide but you can load and use your own dictionaries.

Or you could register it, turn off the WiFi, and never turn the WiFi on.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher0815 View Post
...After some some digging, the Kobo Aura HD sparked my interest as well. The display has the highest ppi among readers, but Kobo blew it from my point of view in regards of build quality of the device as well as an unnecessarily invasive registration process users have to undergo just to get the device working.
What invasive registration process are you speaking of? I just got this device last week, turned it on, set up the WiFi, and it registered (asked for my login information from Kobo site) and updated the firmware. I was reading on it in about 10 minutes. Is the invasive part asking for the login information? All of my other devices wanted the same information. Just curious.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #10
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I think it's just the fact that you have to register/link it with your Kobo account, just the same as people complain about having to register/link the Kindle with your Amazon account. Same with both, you can register it and then never turn the wi-fi back on again and/or never buy any books via your Amazon/Kobo account and just sideload, but the initial registration is an issue for some.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #11
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Heck it is worse when trying to register a piece of software.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #12
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
I recommend the new Nexus 7 to use just as an eReader, on my old Nexus 7 I have five eReader programs, sorry apps
So I can read epub, mobi, txt, pdf etc without problems
I'm using Mantano Premium mostly now, in all the eReader apps you can change styles, backgrounds, brightness, font size

Charging is not a problem, mine will last two or three days but I don't wait for it to run down I usually plug it in every night

Sold my Nook, I like the Nexus so much more, my wife has her Kobo that she is happy with, I find it too limiting after the Nexus

I've never regretted getting the Nexus 7 the extra money is well worth it and the new Nexus 7 has the best screen available

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever"
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:03 AM   #13
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I registered my Mini, but you can use any name you want. You could use a public access point and register as John Doe from Nowhereville AFAIK.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:49 AM   #14
Preacher0815

Using fake data in the registration process is against the EULA of pretty much any service offered by companies nowadays. Also, with readers that need activating, as far as I know you have to go online with them if you want to upgrade their firmware.

That would allow companies to get to know your reading habits, and it would also allow companies to lock you out of the reader and force you to enter other / real data if the data you entered initially were found to be fake. The former is something I very much try to avoid. It is nobody's business what I read, how often I read it and how long it takes me to do so. The latter is just an unnecessary inconvenience that can be avoided by disregarding such readers. Jailbreaking / rooting would be another way around these issues, but is not an option if there are no such methods for a certain device yet.

With software on my PC, I get to choose if I want to install a certain program or not. I take the same liberty picking a reader.

@Quelch
I'd probably pick one too, but having to recharge it that frequently is something I just can't get myself to feel comfortable with. Having to recharge a tablet some time during a 10 to 12 hours reading run is a total immersion killer Granted, I don't do it that often, but it happens.

Last edited by Preacher0815; 10-19-2013 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #15
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher0815 View Post
Using fake data in the registration process is against the EULA of pretty much any service offered by companies nowadays. Also, with readers that need activating, as far as I know you have to go online with them if you want to upgrade their firmware.

That would allow companies to get to know your reading habits, and it would also allow companies to lock you out of the reader and force you to enter other / real data if the data you entered initially were found to be fake. The former is something I very much try to avoid. It is nobody's business what I read, how often I read it and how long it takes me to do so. The latter is just an unnecessary inconvenience that can be avoided by disregarding such readers. Jailbreaking / rooting would be another way around these issues, but is not an option if there are no such methods for a certain device yet.

With software on my PC, I get to choose if I want to install a certain program or not. I take the same liberty picking a reader.

@Quelch
I'd probably pick one too, but having to recharge it that frequently is something I just can't get myself to feel comfortable with. Having to recharge a tablet some time during a 10 to 12 hours reading run is a total immersion killer Granted, I don't do it that often, but it happens.
Pretty sure jail breaking is more frowned upon than using a fake name. Not that IGAF, but I did use my real name etc. And what would they do if I didn't? Refuse me some abysmal customer service? I could probably factory reset and reregister.

And of course you know that it is pretty simple to upgrade the firmware without connecting to Kobo at all. Of course you would then miss out on all the delightful adverts they send you, but that is what a junk mail folder is for.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote