Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 09-11-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
mfaine
Member Retired
mfaine began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Tether NC to smartphone

I have an android smartphone and a nook color. The smartphone has 3G and WiFi but, as you know, the NC only has WiFi. I was sitting in an auditorium yesterday browsing the internet on my phone when I thought I have my Nook Color right here wouldn't it be great if it could get use my phone's 3G for a WiFi signal? So I searched but mostly all I found was how to tether a computer to a phone. Is it possible to tether my NC to my phone?
mfaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
I have a rooted Evo 4G with Wireless Tether app. It works as a wifi router. Guess it depends on your phone's capabilities. I've used my phone as a router for NC, Galaxy Tab, and anything else that needs wifi. Phone has to be rooted.

Evo has a built in wifi router, but it's $30 a month (at least it used to be - never used it).

Also depends on your data plan. Sprint still has unlimited, but I think most everyone else has limits.
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #3
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
If you have a ROM installed on your phone, you may have tethering already available on your phone. I have an HD2 with one of the CM7 ROMs and I have an option in the settings to turn on and off tethering. It works great.

There are several tethering apps in the appstore and they seem to work well enough. I think the top paid app on Amazon is easy tether(a tethering app). Oh and I think you have to be rooted in order to use tethering apps.

The whole internet limit thing can get to you too. I have unlimited internet on my Tmobile phone so i don't think much about it, but if you have a 200 mb plan, you will reach the limit fast when tethering.

Last edited by anabolina; 09-11-2011 at 10:51 PM.
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:39 AM   #4
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaine View Post
I have an android smartphone and a nook color. The smartphone has 3G and WiFi but, as you know, the NC only has WiFi. I was sitting in an auditorium yesterday browsing the internet on my phone when I thought I have my Nook Color right here wouldn't it be great if it could get use my phone's 3G for a WiFi signal? So I searched but mostly all I found was how to tether a computer to a phone. Is it possible to tether my NC to my phone?
If your phone can work as a Wifi access point, than you can tether the NC to it. I have done this a few times with my Samsung Galaxy S phone. It was quite slow, but it works if you really want to download a book.

Some phones only support a ad-hoc Wifi connection. That will not work with the NC.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Some phones only support a ad-hoc Wifi connection. That will not work with the NC.
I thought my Nexus S only used ad hoc. It worked with connecting a Nook STR to it at least.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
You have to modify the eprom in order to see it as a WAP hotspot, at least on Verizon and the Droid X

I did this with my Droid X and can connect, BUT you use at your own risk and you are VERY MUCH breaking the terms of service. The apps don't really work as it creates an ad-ahoc connection, so you have to use the 3G Hotspot stuff on the DroidX

Will they catch you....doubt it. I use it when I'm on the road to download a book to my nook color, and that's about it, the data being used is minuscule.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:16 PM   #7
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I thought my Nexus S only used ad hoc. It worked with connecting a Nook STR to it at least.
The NC, stock, doesn't see ad-hoc networks. You either need a hotspot in infrastructure mode (some phones, depending on drivers/chipsets), or a root and a utility to toggle to a different wi-fi driver when you want to use adhoc.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:17 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Nope. Nexus S supports acting as a Wi-Fi hotspot. Can't really have El Goog's flagship phone missing this feature, right?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Will they catch you....doubt it.
Don't be too sure of that. AT&T's already cracking down on those with rooted/jailbroken phones using tethering on the unlimited data plan.

Quote:
I use it when I'm on the road to download a book to my nook color, and that's about it, the data being used is minuscule.
This is true, though. ebooks are pretty tiny, at least in comparison to other types of data you can consume (e.g. music, video, etc).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:14 PM   #10
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
I do this with my Samsung Galaxy S2 and it works without any problems.. nice and fast watching youtube downloading books

...I guess the speed all depends on your provider...
does suck the battery life of the phone
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:08 PM   #11
bunodosoma
Connoisseur
bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PE,Novel,Nook Color
Note: the latest Nexus S 4g update from Sprint has disabled wifi hotspot. Although I've seen a workaround to re-enable it somewhere. Wireless tether on Market is a free app but requires a rooted phone. I think it'll work with bluetooth,usb tether or wifi hotspot.
bunodosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:13 PM   #12
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Don't be too sure of that. AT&T's already cracking down on those with rooted/jailbroken phones using tethering on the unlimited data plan.

This is true, though. ebooks are pretty tiny, at least in comparison to other types of data you can consume (e.g. music, video, etc).
Yeah if you use gigs of data on a laptop of course they will see it LOL.

But in the scheme of just downloading the occasional book, it's not going to matter.

And ATT is the devil though, they cancelled my contract because I wasn't paying enough FOR MY CONTRACT. Then tried to charge me $250 early termination because THEY TERMINATED IT EARLY.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #13
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Yeah if you use gigs of data on a laptop of course they will see it LOL.

But in the scheme of just downloading the occasional book, it's not going to matter.

And ATT is the devil though, they cancelled my contract because I wasn't paying enough FOR MY CONTRACT. Then tried to charge me $250 early termination because THEY TERMINATED IT EARLY.
They should have to pay YOU for early termination.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:45 PM   #14
jhempel24
Wizard

I sent them a bill LOL....nothing came of it, but I did complain to the Better Business Bureau
Old 09-19-2011, 04:51 PM   #15
deborahjeanne
Zealot
deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color. Kobo Touch (died 2014). Kobo Glo.
Piece of cake with my iphone 4.

d
deborahjeanne is offline   Reply With Quote