Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 08-07-2007, 04:16 PM   #16
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
If they want people to widely use Mobipocket (for both public domain books and other original books) they should make it a high-priority project: emulating mobigen with wine isn't exactly the best thing for a server.
If it's just a matter of generating Mobipocket format stuff without DRM, it's not a big deal. All one does is make a PalmDOC file with an HTML subset, followed by the images (8-bit BMP file) as separate records. There are Perl modules that suffice to rip apart and create Mobipocket files.
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:04 PM   #17
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruss View Post
If it's just a matter of generating Mobipocket format stuff without DRM, it's not a big deal. All one does is make a PalmDOC file with an HTML subset, followed by the images (8-bit BMP file) as separate records. There are Perl modules that suffice to rip apart and create Mobipocket files.
Since mobigen is itself not very well documented, what is really required is an open source way to convert "content" into MobiPocket format without DRM. Doing this in Perl would make sense, but it needs to be packaged as a single command. What mobigen takes as input is either a single .html file or a single .opf file, and that may be sufficient to cover "content" for an open source tool also.

I'm not sure if MobiPocket realizes that a mobigen-lite (without DRM support) is all that is typically needed, but an open source solution would be better anyway.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2007, 06:55 AM   #18
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
Huh? All you need as documentation for mobigen.exe is shown on the commandline. What the content should be is documented on the Mobipocket website and is good enough. I have seen worse documentation.
I see no reason why mobigen.exe should not be able to generate DRMed books. Simply do not use the DRM options and it will not generate DRMed books. Same for the proprietary compression.
All the rest of the Mobipocket format are some attributes added to link and image tags. Really no rocket science. The .mobi format is just some finetuning.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:58 AM   #19
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Marquard View Post
I see no reason why mobigen.exe should not be able to generate DRMed books. Simply do not use the DRM options and it will not generate DRMed books.
If MobiPocket released a Linux version of mobigen, it would be good enough. Since they clearly are in no hurry to do so, I am suggesting this creates an opportunity for someone to develop an open source batch solution for the mobipocket format.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:10 PM   #20
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have people tried just taking simple html files and putting them inside PalmDOC files? That's all Mobipocket files are--html wrapped in PalmDOC--though there probably are restrictions on tags.

I've successfully modified Mobipocket files by adding a table of contents with a simple perl script.
Advert
Old 08-11-2007, 02:24 AM   #21
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
There are some wrinkles to it. You need to add some custom attributes to the a and img tags.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:55 PM   #22
pruss
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Marquard View Post
There are some wrinkles to it. You need to add some custom attributes to the a and img tags.
Are you sure about the a tags? It's true that I've seen a filepos attribute in the a tag, but I think it worked (presumably more slowly) without it, too. The img tags are slightly different, true.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:15 AM   #23
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Is there a version of BookDesigner for Linux? Because I routinely use it to create Mobi files and it does a great job with ToCs and chapter page-breaks. I've found that I can get decent results from Mobipocket Creator on my WinXP machine as long as I don't mind not getting a decent ToC. Still haven't figured out how to use their stupid ToC wizard.

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruss View Post
Are you sure about the a tags? It's true that I've seen a filepos attribute in the a tag, but I think it worked (presumably more slowly) without it, too. The img tags are slightly different, true.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:28 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
As long as the book doesn't have many images/illustrations, BD will do fine.

Yeah, their Mobi creator is a PITA.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:04 PM   #25
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thing is... except for not making page-breaks properly, or having a *FUNCTIONAL* ToC wizard, for most of the work I'm converting MobiPocket Creator works just fine. But their help is atrocious!

Even though I kinda have to massage it through, I like what BD outputs.

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As long as the book doesn't have many images/illustrations, BD will do fine.

Yeah, their Mobi creator is a PITA.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:22 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Thing is... except for not making page-breaks properly, or having a *FUNCTIONAL* ToC wizard, for most of the work I'm converting MobiPocket Creator works just fine. But their help is atrocious!

Even though I kinda have to massage it through, I like what BD outputs.

Derek
And it also means you can output a copy in LRF for your Sony Reader as well.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:24 PM   #27
delphidb96
Wizard

Absolutely! I just created my 'sample' files for both the Sony and the Bookeen using BD.

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And it also means you can output a copy in LRF for your Sony Reader as well.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:25 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Absolutely! I just created my 'sample' files for both the Sony and the Bookeen using BD.

Derek
Looking forward to seeing how it looks on both devices.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:48 PM   #29
danx
danx began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Pilot m130
mobigen under wine and mobipocket MIME type

The MIME type for mobipocket ebooks (.mobi) files is application/x-mobipocket-ebook (that is what the mobileread.com web server uses).

Here's how I run mobigen under Linux, using wine. Mobigen is a CLI program, no graphical interface, so can run in batch mode in the background:

1. Install wine if not installed already
2. Copy or download DLL file msvcp71.dll and copy to
~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/msvcp71.dll
3. Download mobigen from http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/ and unzip. I installed it under /usr/local/mobigen/
4. Run mobigen as follows:

wine /usr/local/mobigen/mobigen.exe your-source-file.html -c1 -s0

This creates a file your-source-file.mobi (replace your-source-file above with the name of your html file). I converted about 100 ebooks at http://www.yosemite.ca.us/library/ with this program.

Here's the command line options:

Usage : mobigen filename.opf/.htm/.html [-lowpriority] [-nomin] [-c0 or -c1 or c2] [-s0 or -s1 or -s2] [-vouchers=n] [-nocopypaste] [-rebuild] [-onlydeps or -nodeps] [-unicode]
Options:
-c0: no compression
-c1: standard DOC compression
-c2: Mobipocket huffdic compression
-s0: no security
-s1: encrypted content
-s2: PID secured (retargetable) Mobipocket ebook
-vouchers=n: [by default] use DRM v2 with n vouchers (min = 6).
-nocopypaste: does not allow any copy paste of content in Reader
-nomin: do not minimize version
-rebuild: rebuilds all dependencies
-onlydeps: build only needed dependencies
-nodeps: do not check/build dependencies
-unicode: force build of Unicode book
-lowpriority: set the PRCGEN thread priority to low (background build)
-regserver: register the XOPFPlugin Type Library
-unregserver: unregister the XOPFPlugin Type Library
-releasenotes: display release notes
-jpeg: native jpeg support (all images converted to GIF otherwise)

Last edited by danx; 10-06-2007 at 02:28 AM.
danx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

danx, how do you setup the html file so you get a native table of contents?