Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-01-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
De-DRM Mobi to ePub

Quick question:

I've been wanting to get the Robin Buss translation of The Count of Monte Cristo with all the footnotes, etc., but no one seems to have it for sale in ePub. I don't have a Kindle, but Amazon does sell this translation for the Kindle. If it's possible to strip the mobi DRM and convert it to ePub and have a reasonably decent-looking result with footnotes intact, I'd probably just buy the Amazon offering and do this so I can read it on my Sony. Anyone have any experience with doing this to say yea or nay?
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdahler View Post
Anyone have any experience with doing this to say yea or nay?
It's possible. If it's a Topaz book, then it can take a lot more work to clean up OCR errors than if it's a Mobipocket book. And I don't know how footnotes are handled in Topaz, and it's only possible that they're handled well in Mobipocket - there's no guarantee.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I have the Kindle version (which is an AZW) and I just tried it using Sony eBL after conversion to ePub using Calibre. The footnotes are intact, and they include a return hyperlink to get back to the main text (not required on the Kindle or for MobiPocket, since they have a "back" option). If eBL has a back key, I could not find it - but the return link worked.

Note that the external TOC does not include the chapter headings (even in the AZW/MOBI version), but there is an internal chapter TOC as a set of hyperlinks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

That's great, wallcraft, thanks for the info. Do I understand you correctly that Calibre will convert this book to epub directly (without having to go through some DRM-stripping process)?
Old 03-01-2010, 03:29 PM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdahler View Post
That's great, wallcraft, thanks for the info. Do I understand you correctly that Calibre will convert this book to epub directly (without having to go through some DRM-stripping process)?
Calibre will only convert non-drm files. So you'll need to remove the drm first.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2010, 07:02 PM   #6
cmdahler
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Calibre will only convert non-drm files. So you'll need to remove the drm first.
Thanks.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:11 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It is now possible to add recent versions of mobidedrm.py as a pre-processor to Calibre.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #8
cmdahler
Addict

Wow, even better. Thanks again.