Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
maltar7
maltar7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle Paperwhite .doc conversion?

Hello everyone,

I would like to convert a book I have in Microsoft Word to my Kindle Paperwhite. Originally, the book was a PDF, so I converted the PDF file with "Calibre" into a Mobi and AZW file' for my Kindle. However, in either file format the structure of all the text was randomly in the centre, in particular, the line spacing isn’t accurate on my Kindle. In fact, my guess is each line was about 2.pt away from the next sentence using the default settings in Calibre, the only option I changed was the Output profile to the Kindle Paperwhite.

Lings, Martin. Muhammad: His Life Based on the Earliest Sources. Cambridge. The Islamic Text Society. 1991. Print.

Could you please advise me about converting the book to my Kindle Paperwhite?

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Second page excerpt.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	107742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle book .JPG
Views:	254
Size:	859.6 KB
ID:	107744  

Last edited by maltar7; 07-05-2013 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Images and book citation.
maltar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
There is another, very recent discussion about converting PDF to Mobi to EPUB (required to strip some of the extra scripting inside). I believe BetterRed (might be 1 R) was the user posting what she had to do and why. You might want to do an Advanced Search for posts from her about PDF in the last week within the Calibre section of the forums.

However, in general, PDF is perhaps the absolute worst source document you could have since it doesn't convert well.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltar7 View Post
Hello everyone,

Could you please advise me about converting the book to my Kindle Paperwhite?

Thank you
@maltar7 - try this

Firstly you need to get rid of tabs and empty paragraphs from your Word document version of the book, use styles and paragraph formatting to get the document looking 'nice' in Word.

If you are using Word 2007/2010/2013 save the document to a DOCX (ie the default format).

But if you have an older version of Word that's OK, save your document as a .DOC. And download a copy of the Free version of Doxillion from NCH Software and use it to convert the .DOC to DOCX.

Now add your DOCX file to the Book in calibre, now convert the DOCX to AZW3.

Converting PDF's to e-book formats is problematic but if you have the text in Word that's a very good start, the support for DOCX is a recent addition to calibre and it is very good.

Let us know how you get on - happy to answer follow-up questions.

@Sabardeyn - thanks for the ack

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-06-2013 at 09:19 AM. Reason: typo
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
maltar7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
There is another, very recent discussion about converting PDF to Mobi to EPUB (required to strip some of the extra scripting inside). I believe BetterRed (might be 1 R) was the user posting what she had to do and why. You might want to do an Advanced Search for posts from her about PDF in the last week within the Calibre section of the forums.

However, in general, PDF is perhaps the absolute worst source document you could have since it doesn't convert well.
Hello Sabardeyn,

I have search for users "BetterRed" or "1 R" in the forums to find the exact thread you're talking about from last week and saw a mixture of results by her.

Could you please link to where you read about her particular discussion?

P.S I’m aware of the fact PDF isn’t ideal for my Kindle and therefore I chose to export the PDF into a Microsoft Word file using Adobe Acrobat Pro.

Thank you

Last edited by maltar7; 07-06-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
maltar7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

Firstly you need to get rid of tabs and empty paragraphs from your Word document version of the book, use styles and paragraph formatting to get the document looking 'nice' in Word.

Now add your DOCX file to the Book in calibre, now convert the DOCX to AZW3.

Converting PDF's to e-book formats is problematic but if you have the text in Word that's a very good start, the support for DOCX is a recent addition to calibre and it is very good.

Let us know how you get on - happy to answer follow-up questions.
Hello BetterRed,

What styles and paragraph formatting do you recommend? As I'm converting the PDF file into Microsoft Word for the first time, but as far as I can tell Adobe Acrobat Pro is fairly accurate at keeping the PDF format after looking at the text layout in Microsoft Word.

If you would like to see the look of the Microsoft Word book, I could send you the file through email.

Thank you
Old 07-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Try this thread for some more thoughts by BetterRed --> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212056

Found as a link in this post
Quote:
from June 24th
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #7
maltar7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Try this thread for some more thoughts by BetterRed --> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212056

Found as a link in this post
from June 24th
Thank you Peter for finding that thread.

I will take a look at "BetterRed's" advice to "fxp33" and make the changes he said to my Microsoft Word document to see the results.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you Peter for finding that thread.

I will take a look at "BetterRed's" advice to "fxp33" and make the changes he said to my Microsoft Word document to see the results.
@maltar put your files (word and PDF) in a ZIP, upload to somewhere and PM me the link here - I'll have a look and reply here if thats OK by you, then it's available to the community.

Re which styles etcL- my starting point on most things is keep it simple, and no unnecessary fancy stuff. From what I can see from the images you posted that's all you need - Normal and a couple of Heading styles.

As I recall fxp33's thread was about dealing with a scanned 19th text, bundled into a PDF - the issue was how to get the text from the images.

What version of Word are you using?

BR
Old 07-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
maltar7

Quote:
@maltar put your files (word and PDF) in a ZIP, upload to somewhere and PM me the link here - I'll have a look and reply here if thats OK by you, then it's available to the community.

Re which styles etcL- my starting point on most things is keep it simple, and no unnecessary fancy stuff. From what I can see from the images you posted that's all you need - Normal and a couple of Heading styles.

As I recall fxp33's thread was about dealing with a scanned 19th text, bundled into a PDF - the issue was how to get the text from the images.

What version of Word are you using?

BR
Hello BetterRed,

I would like to as much as you help the community out through posting a link to the book online, but unfortunately legal laws come in between doing so. As copyright laws cover the book and author, I have to adhere to the forum policy whereby a post of the book here through another website is considered as illegal advertising.

I'm using the latest version of Microsoft Office, 2013 and as you said, I'll put simple styles on the entire document to format the text for a nice viewing experience on the Kindle.

P.S Instead, could I perhaps email you the PDF and MS Word book for you to look at?

Thank you

Last edited by maltar7; 07-06-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:16 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Hello BetterRed,

P.S Instead, could I perhaps email you the PDF and MS Word book for you to look at?

Thank you
I'll PM you an email addy you can use.

BR
Old 07-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Maltar7

If you hold the copyright, it is your choice how to release the document. (posting a sample chapter or 2 might be advised if you wish to sell the work/rights later)

Forum policy prevents posting of other persons copyrighted material without permission.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #12
maltar7

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Maltar7

If you hold the copyright, it is your choice how to release the document. (posting a sample chapter or 2 might be advised if you wish to sell the work/rights later)

Forum policy prevents posting of other persons copyrighted material without permission.
Hello theducks,

The author "Martin, Lings" fully owns the copyright laws to the book in question. In addition, I'm legally safe to post an excerpt of the book on this site by agreeing to the Fair Use Doctrine of copyright laws.

Last edited by maltar7; 07-08-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Just for the record - the OP found an alternative source for the book, they had it in plain text, epub, kindle and pdf

BR
Old 07-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #14
maltar7

Hello,

In case anyone is wondering, I have after contemplating about the process of formatting decided to not go through with making the book on Word. As when copying the text to Word, moving all lines of the paragraph in order, applying my font style with the size and then looking at the writing to correct possible mistakes would of taken too much effort and time.

I would have liked to read the book on my Kindle, but then I thought about discovering popular books from authors in Islam is worth the experience.

Thank you to everyone for your beneficial advice.

Last edited by maltar7; 07-16-2013 at 09:48 PM.