Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #1
hyperact
hyperact began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader 700
Covers in Sony Images section

If there is already a thread about this, could someone point me to it?

At some point, Calibre started placing cover thumbnails into the Images folder on my Sony Reader. How would I get rid of those? I looked on the device and the only images in the Images folder are some family photos I put there myself. But when I tap the Images category while using the Sony, there are dozens of covers in there, including books I've deleted.
hyperact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Preference, Plugins, Device interface plugins, Sony Device, Customize, uncheck upload covers.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
hyperact

Thank you, but it doesn't work. Upload covers was already unchecked. I saw that auto-synch was not checked, so I checked that. Now I have 112 images in the Images section, instead of the (incorrect) 41 that used to be there. I only want the five images of my own to be in the Images section of my Sony Reader.

Where on the Sony are these thumbnails stored, and how can I get rid of them? They do not show up in the Images folder on the device when it is mounted on the file system. They are also using memory that I would rather use for books. It seems now they are multiplying rapidly.

Calibre did not used to add images to this folder. Anyone know what I should delete on the device?
Old 02-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Up until fairly recently Calibre's Sony driver was sending thumbnails to all Sony models even if the thumbnails weren't useable on the older models. I don't know whether your reader can use them or not. The Sony driver was then upgraded to make sending thumbnails an option. It sounds as though you have now switched it off. However, you would still need to manually remove any thumbnails which had already been sent.

In addition to this, before calibre v0.7.44 there was a bug in the Sony device driver when using an SD card. Thumbnails were being sent to the wrong SD card directory for books loaded on the SD card.

The correct directory structure for thumbnails on the SD card is
Code:
[SDdrive:]\Sony Reader\thumbnail\...
the incorrect directory structure was:
Code:
[SDdrive:]\Sony Reader\database\thumbnail\...
So you would need to do the following to remove SD thumbnails:
  • manually delete the incorrect SD card thumbnail directory structure.
  • upgrade to calibre v0.7.44 or above to make sure the problem doesn't recur.

Does any of the above help?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
hyperact

Yes, thank you, that worked perfectly. I have always kept Calibre up to date, but I didn't know which files were safe to delete on the device. I believe my Sony 700 is one of the older ones, since it seems to do just fine without the thumbnail files.

I'm not sure the bug was specifically related to SD cards, since I always send the books to main memory (I don't have any extra cards in there.) But I believe the main memory on my Sony is itself an SD card, so maybe the issue still applied.

At any rate, all is good now, and thank you again.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperact View Post
At any rate, all is good now, and thank you again.
Glad to hear it
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote