Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Paperwhite Battery life

Has anyone been paying attention to how often they are recharging the battery on their Paperwhite? I'm finding that I have to recharge every two weeks or so. I read on on average about 2 hours a day. Have my set to airplane mode and my light set at 16. Not quite the two months that kindle advertised it's battery life.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think Amazon say "8 weeks at half an hour a day", so your 2 weeks at 2h/day is in line with that.

I'm deliberately running my battery down at the moment to see how long I get from it. I read for about an hour a day on average, and I'm at about 40% battery charge after two and a half weeks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think Amazon say "8 weeks at half an hour a day", so your 2 weeks at 2h/day is in line with that.

I'm deliberately running my battery down at the moment to see how long I get from it. I read for about an hour a day on average, and I'm at about 40% battery charge after two and a half weeks.
Didn't notice the 1/2 a day part. I wonder how many people out there who own an e-reader only read for 1/2 hour a day? Seems a little on the low side.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
When I first received my Kindle Paperwhite, I kept a session record in an Excel spreadsheet noting start and stop times and minutes spent reading with the PW.

After a full cycle I noticed I got 10 hours and 29 minutes down to the Recharge screen (large battery icon + wire icon + power icon).

Since then I've noticed I average 7 or 8 days to a recharge with the meter nearly empty. In my current cycle I'm at 13 days with the meter showing low but not yet at the Recharge screen.

This compares with 6 hours per the GSam Monitor down to the 10% level for the KFHD7-32 over 4 to 6 days and 30 to 38 days with the Kindle Keyboard WiFi. The KF1G only averaged about 5 hours and 15 minutes down to the 10% level.

I find the PW lasts longer and longer if one keeps using it down to the Recharge screen. Most folks charge when the meter shows about 40% and may get much shorter reading times due to that practice.

Exact battery measurements are only possible using the GSam Monitor on the Kindle Fire.

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-26-2012 at 01:00 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I'm on 15 days on my latest charge. I read for 4-6 hours per day in the first week and then about 1 hour a day this last week.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
I'm on 15 days on my latest charge. I read for 4-6 hours per day in the first week and then about 1 hour a day this last week.
Those numbers project to FORTY-THREE HOURS on a single PW charge. That is really great!

That is four to five times what I get.

I've also noticed some folks reported 40 to 50 hours on a reading cycle for the Kindle Fire but refuse to use the GSam Monitor to confirm those results since they claim the GSam monitor is wrong.

Thus, all of us may be measuring differently. Spreadsheets and Battery Apps have a habit of bursting our bubbles.

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-26-2012 at 01:09 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I prefer to leave wireless (3G+wifi) on all the time, and have to charge every 3 days or so. My Kindle Touch (also 3G+wifi) is much better with power management for some reason. I think PW has a smaller battery and yes, the lighted screen, but I can't help thinking there's something that needs to be tweaked in the software to improve performance in the 'wireless on' scenario.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I leave the wi-fi on, read 2-3 hours per day, and I would estimate I charge it once per week. It could be ten days.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
mpeg2
Connoisseur
mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
These personal battery life comparisons are missing some important information. If you ignore any lighting, then most ebook readers only use significant power when changing pages (flipping the display and composing text) - very little (if any) power is used for a static display.

So, if you read fast & turn pages often, your power consumption will be much higher than for someone who reads slower (and turns pages less frequently).

The battery life expectations published are for a specific set of reading conditions (how often the page is turned and how long each reading session is).

Rich
mpeg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #10
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I have 3g or WiFi always on. Read at the light set at around 14, sometimes 20 (when I read in a bright room, which is rare). Read magazines and newspapers.
I get about 12 hours of reading. Which means i need to recharge every other day, or about.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #11
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeg2 View Post
These personal battery life comparisons are missing some important information. If you ignore any lighting, then most ebook readers only use significant power when changing pages (flipping the display and composing text) - very little (if any) power is used for a static display.

So, if you read fast & turn pages often, your power consumption will be much higher than for someone who reads slower (and turns pages less frequently).

The battery life expectations published are for a specific set of reading conditions (how often the page is turned and how long each reading session is).

Rich
I'm a slow reader. I often re-read paragraphs, particularly when I'm readding fiction because I like to create a mental picture of what I'm reading.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #12
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Is there any danger in running the battery completely dead on Kindles (not just PW)? Do I lose where I am at? Does it try to sync just before it dies?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #13
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I use the lower light settings and read a few hours every day, lately mostly on airplane mode. I think I charge my PW every 2 or three weeks. It's so very seldomly that I don't know exactly. I'd say I charge my PW every few books. Very precise, I know....
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:34 AM   #14
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
It's almost been a month now for me without charging my PW, although I have Airplane Mode enabled almost all of the time. I've disabled it a couple of times for a few minutes to download contents from the Cloud and then I set it back on. Other than that, I have the lighting set very low/off (not even 1). I've only once tried reading with it set at 12 but found that I preferred reading with very low lighting. I have about 30% left of battery.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:39 AM   #15
astmario
Connoisseur
astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
As for me, I charge it every 14-17 days. Usage is in airplane mode, light mostly off, but turning it up on low ambient light and in the dark. I read about 1-2 hours a day.
astmario is offline   Reply With Quote