Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #31
morningstar79
morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Great News.
Apache
I'm very excited! I suspect I will have just finished Arms Commander sometime close to it's release (at least I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it turns out that way). I wonder who he's writing about? What time period? Oh, the suspense!

Last edited by morningstar79; 04-12-2013 at 10:34 AM.
morningstar79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #32
morningstar79
morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morningstar79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Recluce Readers:

Do you have a favourite character? time period?
Who/when, and why?
Advert
Old 04-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #33
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Most of his Sci Fi is good also. The first book I read by him was The Ecologic Envoy back in 19786.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #34
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Quote:
Most of his Sci Fi is good also. The first book I read by him was The Ecologic Envoy back in 19786.
Apache
I don't know the author at all. Time to take a look. A fair bit seems available at Amazon UK, where to start? He seems to write mostly series, what would be a representative stand alone book, or first in a series? Oh,and may I borrow your time machine?
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #35
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
The Magic of Recluce is the first (written) Recluce book, and is probably the best place to start. I don't know if that one's available as an ebook at amazon uk, I've only looked for the ones I didn't already have. Although lengthy, The Recluce series is generally made of standalone stories, or sometimes pairs.
DrNefario is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2013, 06:24 AM   #36
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
My initial reaction is to read in written order. I can't point to specific instances, but there will be times when you read a passage and something just "clicks" from one of the previous books...you won't necessarily get that if read in chronological order.

I also think authors usually tell their stories in a particular order for a reason - even if that reason is subconscious - and I respect that.

Are you the kind of person that must read "The Hobbit" before "The Fellowship of the Ring" because it happened first? Or do you like the adventure of learning more of the history of characters you already know? When I meet new people I get to know them as they are now and (if I like them) enjoy hearing stories of their childhood to get a fuller picture of who they are... But that's just me I guess.

Cheers
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #37
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Grrrr
Am enjoying Magic of Recluce. Grrr. As if I needed more books.. Pfffft

Old 04-19-2013, 01:08 AM   #38
morningstar79

piperclassique!!!!! i am so very excited you are!!!! i didn't want to like it either, i didn't even want to read it. I can't wait to discuss it with you!!!! Be sure to pay attention to details you may think are trivial. they are not!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 01:46 AM   #39
morningstar79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
My initial reaction is to read in written order. I can't point to specific instances, but there will be times when you read a passage and something just "clicks" from one of the previous books...you won't necessarily get that if read in chronological order.
I couldn't express the impact of reading the Saga of Recluce in order of publication better if I hired Chaucer to do it for me. Thank you, Turtle91!!! It is certainly published out of chronological order for a reason, and I do believe that is part of the reason I fell in love with the series. Not often can an author capture an audience for a series in length of 16 novels and counting (yes, he is writing book #17 as we speak!!!), and keep them wanting more. Given the complexities and dimensions of the storyline presented in this series, I do have to say that reading in chronological order is certainly called for--as a second reading, and as to solidify everything you've put together upon your first reading.

If there is one thing I can say, Creslin was hard (for me) to get through. Based on him alone I could have hung the series up to dry, it was knowing I would read more of Justen that kept me going...until I met Dorrin. It is only with hindsight that I appreciate the information given in book #2.

Beyond that, while I wish I could comment on your "Hobbit" reference to reading things "in order", I found all of my attempts to read any of Tolkien's books frustrating at best. Perhaps I just need to give it some time. On the other hand, the fact that I put quotations around "in order" made me giggle considering our topic of discussion. Am I bound to order because I have acknowledged it's presence and use, or have my chaos senses just recognized and located the order focus? lol
Old 04-19-2013, 02:23 AM   #40
morningstar79

Oh, piperclassique...once enthralled by the idea of the series i bothered to do a small bit of research on the published order vs. chronological order. My findings left me intrigued, knowing I was into something far greater than I had bargained for, and not knowing I should have started a journal logging all of my "intuitions" of what may lay ahead, I made myself a bookmark of the chronology vs. publication order (in which i would be reading). At that point I had no idea how useful my little bookmark would be. Here is a link, on the left (in orange) is the publication order, and the main body is the chronological order with a brief description of each storyline and main character. Sounds silly, but I've referred to it a great deal through my reading adventures, especially one specific period of time. I used a recipe card to write mine out on.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:25 AM   #41
morningstar79

http://www.travelinlibrarian.info/re...hronology.html
Old 04-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #42
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot

Good evening, Morningstar.
Just getting to the end of book one, and planning what to read next. I'm going for order in which written, but intend to take breaks for other types of book. I have a mule who seems to have the character of the mountain pony, Gairloch. I've never been a great fan of first person narrative, but this seems to work.
Thank you for the bibliography!
Old 04-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #43
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have read them in both orders and, for me, both worked. Creslin was my least favorite main character, but I agree his story does a lot to further the whole series.
Apache
Old 05-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #44
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot

Well, the Magic Engineer was fun. The Towers of Sunset nearly put me off for good. Ok, good to have the back story but all a bit grim. How many more? I think I will take a break now for a couple of weeks while I decide how much more money i want to spend on what seems like a marathon.. I learned a certain amount about blacksmiths, though.
Back in a while.......
Old 05-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #45
Apache
Readaholic

Towers of Sunset was my least favorite of the series.
Apache