Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-28-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
mand
Zealot
mand began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th gen; Kindle Keyboard; iRex iLiad
Unhappy PLEASE SOMEONE REPLY: Can't connect to iDS

NO ONE HAS RESPONDED (2nd March) and i really need help with this, even though i can't make it look urgent by pestering, cos i have trouble getting here very often or for very long at a time.

I introduced myself Thursday but it's taken me this long to get back to the forums. Was getting overwhelmed with distinguishing the main problems from the little niggles. I have a list of small questions but i will ask them one at a time. For today...

I seem to have the opposite problem to skoobwoman's https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27739. My iLiad connects to the pc with no problem. In fact i've been using it like a pendrive, just dragging files to and fro from my hard drive. (No one told me i'd get confused with invisible files etc!) I only installed the companion software a few days ago.

But i can't connect to iDS. I connect the iLiad, and open the companion software. Each time, the log says:

iLiad is connected
<iLiad> Transfer files to iLiad started
Transfer files to iLiad completed
<iLiad> Backup of iLiad started

which is no problem, but then:

<iLiad> Error copying file "G:\documents\Reference\iLiad Companion Software Manual.pdf"

and error messages for all the rest of the backup.

(In fact that's all it did just now, but other times it has given a long list of files that it couldn't copy.)

Clearly i'm not connecting to iDS, which i can tell cos the time still tells me i'm in 1917.

Yesterday i managed to use Merge - and i can view the iLiad's contents as a folder on my G:\ drive. So something's right; but something's wrong too.

Also i can't transfer files from the hard drive Outbox onto the iLiad, though i suspect that is to do with downloading them before registering with MyiRex. Or something.

I have promised a product review and i can't write it before i have used it as it's intended! Besides, generally i think i'm going to love this device, and i don't want to tell the world it's dreadful, but so far all i can say is that i can't get it working properly.

I did input my iDS settings on the iLiad, btw. I'm not double-checking now, cos i have a headache i can't see through, but i did double-check yesterday.

Thanx for any help...

Last edited by mand; 03-02-2009 at 10:34 AM. Reason: No one's replied! I need the title to look more URGENT.
mand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:55 PM   #2
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
mand, I read your post several times over the past few days and I just didn't know where to start.

I've seen several posts similar to yours and often a few days later the poster has worked out the problems themselves - by reading instructions and experimenting a bit.

Your questions are big and you seem to be following the wrong path the way you're trying to connect to iDS. Its not important to rush and connect to iDS, as you probably already have up-to-date software in your iLiad. We haven't had a big update for a long time and the last update was a little one to add Italian language support.

Connecting to iDS: Put aside your USB cable and your PC - you don't use them to connect to iDS. You don't need a MyiRex account to connect to iDS or PC Share.

Do you have a silver book edition iLiad or a black V2 iLiad? The book edition iLiad should be connected via an ethernet cable directly to a router to connect to iDS. The V2 has wifi, so if you have a wireless network available you don't need any cable to connect the V2 to iDS.

A whole separate issue is connecting your iLiad to your PC via PC Share. You can connect to your PC via ethernet cable to your router or wirelessly through your network, but you don't use the companion software or USB cable. This is where you use the iLiad Outbox in MyDocuments on your PC to send files to the iLiad and the share icon on your iLiad to send files to your PC.

iDS connection and PC Share connection are activated by long-pressing the @ Connect button on your iLiad.

You only use the companion software if you're connecting to your PC via the USB cable. Many people don't use the companion software (see my answer to your other thread).

Let us know how its all going and maybe someone else will jump in and try to help, too. Good luck!
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
mand
Zealot

Smile

cbell, thanx so much for taking so much trouble.
Quote:
just didn't know where to start
Me too! i have had great difficulty getting my head around this, which i'm not used to being bright most of the time.:lol:

I have now worked out that iDS doesn't use the usb connection. I understand that i won't really need that - though i would like to set the clock.

I've promised someone a product review on the iLiad, and i wanted to explore everything at least briefly before publishing that, but it is overdue so look forward to playing with iDS later and not include it in what i write. I will use the help you have given, after sorting out more immediate problems (and after i get that review done!).

Your questions:
my iLiad is book edition, silver

'PC Share' is a new term to me, what i have is just called 'Companion Software'. Not impressed with it... i'm gathering not many people like it either...

So glad these forums exist. Again, many thanx.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Just to add to my other reply at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=383969 ...

When you connect your iLiad to your router, you have the choice to connect your iLiad to your computer (this is PC share) or to connect to iRex's iDS (for firmware updates and to download newspaper subscriptions to your iLiad - if you have any).

Companion software is only used with the USB cable connected between computer and iLiad. You may find the companion software useful when you've become more familiar with your iLiad. I got tired of waiting for the companion software backup to finish every time I connected my iLiad to my PC - especially when I started exporting files to my 4GB CF card (rather than internal memory) and that got backed up to my PC every time!

Please don't let the complex connection details detract you too much from the wonderful reading experience you should be having with your iLiad!
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
mand
Zealot

I am inclined to give up the companion s/w altogether, but i'd like to be able to merge the notes i make on pdfs into new files so i can view them on my pc complete with scribbles. As for iDS, i've decided not even to try that until i've got these other things sorted.

in haste
Advert

Tags
companion software, connection, ids, iliad, newbie