Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-03-2009, 07:03 AM   #31
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
They are worth it if you like the same depressed, alcoholic, OCD, sports junkie, confused about women, semi loser story over and over and over again.

I LOVE characters who exhibit this kind of confusion in fiction. Perhaps that's the reason I enjoy noir fiction so much.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:23 AM   #32
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Feedbooks's selection of FREE books is much better formatted than manybooks, in my opinion.

You should also add MobileRead to the list. Our books are hand-crafted [assembled] and far outstrip the number of little independent one woman/man websites, but mainly because MobileRead's books are assembled by any number of individuals on this site.

There are a number of sites on the net with 10-15 free titles available, but they don't amount to much. Those titles are assembled sporadically and often not with the same attention to detail, usually because the assembler is busy with other projects - many of those projects dubious or questionable in nature; sometimes, the posted links lead only to another business enterprise, or to that person's OWN website.

MobileRead's books - and a full disclosure here: I contribute to the assembly of books for this website - are (as I mentioned) added to the library by any member who may decide to contribute to the growing library of over 8,000 titles.

Don
Advert
Old 03-03-2009, 10:32 AM   #33
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Feedbooks's selection of FREE books is much better formatted than manybooks, in my opinion.

You should also add MobileRead to the list. Our books are hand-crafted [assembled] and far outstrip the number of little independent one woman/man websites, but mainly because MobileRead's books are assembled by any number of individuals on this site.

There are a number of sites on the net with 10-15 free titles available, but they don't amount to much. Those titles are assembled sporadically and often not with the same attention to detail, usually because the assembler is busy with other projects - many of those projects dubious or questionable in nature; sometimes, the posted links lead only to another business enterprise, or to that person's OWN website.

MobileRead's books - and a full disclosure here: I contribute to the assembly of books for this website - are (as I mentioned) added to the library by any member who may decide to contribute to the growing library of over 8,000 titles.

Don

Saying things don't make it so. Consfucious say anyone can check and compare and see the truth.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #34
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I highly recommend the free books by Peter Watts from last year's TOR promotion. The complete series is in our MR ebooks for immediate download.

1. Starfish
2. Maelstrom
3. Behemoth
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:11 PM   #35
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I LOVE characters who exhibit this kind of confusion in fiction. Perhaps that's the reason I enjoy noir fiction so much.

Don
True. And for a Noir fan, I suppose they are good. But as I recall, nothing in the review prepared me for the genre in the first book I read. When I got to the second one I was wondering why I had an overwhelming urge to go hang out in a dark airless bar drinking cheap beer and muse on the travesty of my life.

Then it occurred to me I was in a Noir book.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2009, 03:45 PM   #36
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
True. And for a Noir fan, I suppose they are good. But as I recall, nothing in the review prepared me for the genre in the first book I read. When I got to the second one I was wondering why I had an overwhelming urge to go hang out in a dark airless bar drinking cheap beer and muse on the travesty of my life.

Then it occurred to me I was in a Noir book.
I hate when that happens!
Old 03-03-2009, 04:15 PM   #37
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I highly recommend the free books by Peter Watts from last year's TOR promotion. The complete series is in our MR ebooks for immediate download.

1. Starfish
2. Maelstrom
3. Behemoth
Oh, I haven't read StarFish yet. But, if You liked it I probably will. I loved your recommendation to read Four and Twenty Blackbirds.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:17 PM   #38
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
What is Noir? I see several referring to that Genre/Category and I've never heard of it? Google doesn't seem to give me any help.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:25 PM   #39
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Oh, I haven't read StarFish yet. But, if You liked it I probably will. I loved your recommendation to read Four and Twenty Blackbirds.

BOb
I think it is the title "Starfish," that is off-putting. It's a cutesy title for a very intense story. I read all 3 books in succession without pausing, and you know I'm a slow and picky reader. You will not be able to put them down.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:54 PM   #40
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Questions still open to actual answers if anyone is interested.

If a blog, which is not affiliated with a legitimate bookseller, is hosting and giving away hundreds of free ebooks they did not create (and therefore don't own a copyright to), how do you know the downloads are legal? Because they say so? Where did they get legal rights to distribute the books? And do you care if the download is legal or not?
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:00 PM   #41
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post

If a blog, which is not affiliated with a legitimate bookseller, is hosting and giving away hundreds of free ebooks they did not create (and therefore don't own a copyright to), how do you know the downloads are legal? Because they say so? Where did they get legal rights to distribute the books? And do you care if the download is legal or not?
Yes, I care a lot. I only buy from legitimate sources. Some of my best online friends are authors and publishers (I'm talking to YOU, Steve Jordan!)

Last edited by DixieGal; 03-03-2009 at 05:05 PM. Reason: If a torrent looks to good to be true, it probably is.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:41 PM   #42
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:

Those are good questions. So, maybe you could start by answering them for your blog that you have listed in your signature. What sort of assurance does anyone going there have that the links and downloads you have are legit? I clicked through a few of them and did not see any provenance of rights listed.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:07 PM   #43
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
What is Noir? I see several referring to that Genre/Category and I've never heard of it? Google doesn't seem to give me any help.

BOb
It's a name used to describe a kind of fiction with a "dark" vision of the world, of a loner (usually) trying to discover who and what he is.

Hard-boiled detectives often share this worldview, with characters such as Philip Marlowe and Sam Spade exhibiting this often fatalistic attitude about the world.

Some great noir fiction writers include these writers:

Jim Thompson
Raymond Chandler
James M. Cain
Dashiell Hammett

...to name a few. There are many more.

I've concentrated, in my uploads, on three main types of books: Literature, noir fiction, pulps. I have a heavy (I feel) contribution in the noir fiction area, so you might check out my contributions. (I'm currently working on one right now, but school has taken precedence over most everything except for some few quick posts - or to deal with recent irritants, of which you are NOT one! )

Don
Old 03-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #44
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

Repeating the same question from post #16 of this thread.

I am wondering why, and what is your agenda?

Are you insinuating downloads here are not legal? Do you not read the blurb before every book download? Let me quote it for you.

"This work is in the Canadian public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. It may still be under copyright in some countries. If you live outside Canada, check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here."

I repeat, EVERY book download has this caution before the link.

Each person who downloads a book answers the question for themselves.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:14 PM   #45
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
i have looked at the sites on the other side of the links, they are good site except for the blog with the reviewd, i posted a note on one of them a while back to include my email when they bought a reading machine so i could get a free or reduced price one and the comment got censored, so much for free speech

the reviews are all black or white, no shades of grey, no middle ground, her way or the hiway

free books on a site depends on the site and the books, just any books won't do, do they match the demographics of the target market, free romance novels will not help a math/physics site anymore than a math text will help a european history site, if they are free best sellers i would worry, if they are classic books, creative commons books, or expired copyrighted works like those at mobileread that's fine

adding ffree books to bad blog just makes more people aware of how bad the blog is
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote