Notices

Old 03-09-2014, 09:31 AM   #1
Johnny T
Johnny T began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo + iPad
Red face Stopping Calibre fom connecting to Kobo

Hi

I'm new here so apologies if this has been asked before and I've missed it

Is there a way to have Calibre running and NOT connect to a Kobo when I plug it in? All I want to do is export books to a folder, plug the Kobo in and then transfer them under Windows to the SD card in the reader. I don't want Calibre to do anything as far as the Kobo is concerned and I certainly don't want it to put files on there and try to organise things.

At the moment I do everything I want in Calibre then exit before connecting the Kobo but If I forget it starts writing files. It also means that if I have the Kobo connected and want to do something in Calibre I have to eject it, do the things I want in Calibre, close Calibre and reconnect the Kobo. It's a pain but I can't find a way to make it ignore the reader.

Any ideas please?

Thanks,
John.
Johnny T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Disable the Kobo device driver under Preferences->Plugins
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2014, 05:51 AM   #3
Johnny T

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Disable the Kobo device driver under Preferences->Plugins
I'm afraid that doesn't work, it tells me I can't do it.
I then tried to uninstall the Kobo plugin and was told that it was part of the program so I couldn't uninstall it but if I wanted I could disable it....... see the previous sentence

Thanks for the idea though, I appreciate the reply, have you any other thoughts?
John.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:02 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Johnny T - Maybe adding the Kobo to the Preferences->Sharing->Ignored Devices list will achieve what you want ?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:51 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny T View Post
I then tried to uninstall the Kobo plugin and was told that it was part of the program so I couldn't uninstall it but if I wanted I could disable it....... see the previous sentence
Are you disabling the correct plugin? The KoboTouch driver handles the connection to the newer Kobo devices and can definitely be disable. You can find this is the "Device interface plugins" section of the plugins list. I suspect you tried to disable the "Kobo Reader" output profile plugin.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2014, 06:51 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny T View Post
You can disable any Device interface plugin. Perhaps it denied your request because your device was connected to the computer at the time you tried.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:42 AM   #7
Johnny T

Hi
First of all thanks for all the suggestions.
The great news is that the version released today (1.28.0) will allow me to disable the plugin. The previous version (1.27.0) would not. I have 2 PC's running Windows 7 64 bit and I tried it on both with that version running and with no Kobo attached and I couldn't disable it on either. After updating to today's release it works fine and I can disable both Kobo plugins on each machine. An added advantage is that I can now get Calibre to write a book using 'save to disk' directly to the SD card on the Kobo rather than writing it to a file, shutting down Calibre and then transferring it from a temporary location.
A great improvement, thank you.
Regards,
John.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:16 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@JohnnyT: As a long time tester of the Kobo driver I can assure you I've always been able to disable it; in fact, it is REQUIRED for those people who wanted to use the KoboTouchExtended driver as opposed to the regular KoboTouch driver.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote