Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-26-2012, 01:19 AM   #31
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
Also remember that Rakuten's Kobo release was pretty botched from day one, which may have allowed Amazon extra time to polish their release. The electronics retailers are certainly still trying to push it as best they can, but the initial online reaction to the whole experience (updating the device, registering the account, tethering it to your desktop computer, and then after all that seeing the anemic bookstore selection) was overwhelmingly hostile.

Amazon's Japanese-language book selection isn't much more than Rakuten's, but even on an unregistered Kindle you've gotta love the ease of just entering your Amazon username and password, and hey, books!
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #32
silverspear
Connoisseur
silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I've been stalking the Joshin Denki - PW update page daily, and it's interesting to note that tokyo branches have been totally out of stock for several days, while more stock seems to be piling up in osaka! Strange phenomenon.. maybe it's because Joshin has only a few outlets in tokyo, and has 4 times as many stores in the osaka area...

Or that tokyo e-readership demand is higher..

Joshin Denki PW update page here!
silverspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2012, 12:30 AM   #33
Snorkledorf
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It may be that they're trying to spread their restock evenly across the country but simple population density in Tokyo means that those stores get hit harder and run out more quickly.

Though maybe having their HQ in Osaka has something to do with it too...
Old 12-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #34
silverspear
Connoisseur
silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm finally here in Osaka! I managed to find and get myself a pw at BIC camera in shinsaibashi yesterday! however I'm not too happy when I opened the box and checked the set when I got back to my hotel... the lighting showed mild signs of discoloration.. what the forums call a "blue hue"... sigh... it might be a challenge for me to go back and ask for an exchange, since I do not speak Japanese well at all.. but nevertheless I'll try! hopefully they will have a decent exchange policy of some sort.... will update again!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #35
Snorkledorf

Welcome to the neighborhood!

Glad you were able to find a PW, though sorry to hear about your screen issues. I don't have any color blobs on mine, just a mild shadow checkerboard at the bottom near the LEDs. It might be kinda blue in lower lighting, but I never really noticed it. I've examined all of two units and didn't notice any differences so I guess mine's OK.

I'd be interested in a photo if you have one (though I understand that you're on the road and all if you want to wait until you get home).
Advert
Old 12-04-2012, 12:25 AM   #36
silverspear
Connoisseur

I just came out from BIC. with my broken Japanese I managed to get the staff to exchange one for me. he brought my set to compare with the sample set, and agreed that my set was slightly more blotchy and had bluish spots at the top. so I got a new set, and though it still had slight discoloration, it's was visibly better than the first set. so I kept the new set.

do all set show some form of discoloration?
Old 12-06-2012, 04:38 AM   #37
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
So did you end up buying a Kobo AND a PW Silverspear? You must be a dedicated reader!
Canuck_in_Japan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:31 AM   #38
silverspear
Connoisseur

haha yes I did. for 3 reasons.. firstly neither the paperwhite nor the Kobo is available in my home country.. secondly, I just couldn't pass up the chance to get the paperwhite at a cheaper price whilst in Japan. thirdly, I really liked one feature of the Kobo interface, and that is the ability to display the page number by default when reading.. it really helps me alot!
Old 02-02-2013, 01:15 AM   #39
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm thinking of buying a kindle (Japan) for some one in New Zealand and I just wanted to make sure that there is no problem with using a Japanese kindle in English and with an Amazon account other than Amazon Japan.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:50 AM   #40
silverspear
Connoisseur

yup, no problems whatsoever.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:18 AM   #41
norbusan
Zealot
norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, Kobo GloHD
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspear View Post
yup, no problems whatsoever.
really? Did you try it? The point is that if you buy a Kindle 3G in Japan, it (the 3G) will not work in *any* *other* *country*. Japanese Kindle 3G is locked to Japan.

Of course, normal reading works without a problem, and if you have no 3G, then it is abslutely the same, right.

But customers should be warned, 3G is Japan only! Yes!
norbusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #42
norbusan
Zealot
norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, Kobo GloHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspear View Post
From what I think, I suspect that amazon indeed has differentiated PW-J and PW-I (international), either through firmware, or by physical hardware like mac address or something. If someone can confirm if amazon does provide different download links/versions for PW-J and PW-I, then we will know if it's by which method.

I don't think it is firmware, but simply the 3G IMEI addresses are not registered with the international providers, so they don't accept them.

No need for firmware or hardware differences.

Norbert
norbusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #43
Snorkledorf

As far as I've been able to tell, the WiFi version is identical to the ones sold overseas.

The Japanese 3G version only connects within Japan, unlike the US model (I haven't looked into what's sold elsewhere) which covers basically the world (including Japan, interestingly enough).

My Japanese-bought WiFi PW is linked to my US account and works like a charm.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #44
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard

People might be interested to know that the Paperwhite (and the Glo) now cost the equivalent of $85 US in Japan. Time to start importing?
Old 02-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #45
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I had bought some CD and books directly from Amazon Japan, shipped to US. PW Japan version was not allowed, I tried last night. By the way, will US Amazon honor warranty for PW Japan version?
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote