Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-30-2011, 08:08 AM   #241
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by foosion View Post
Have you tried accessing the Calibre server from Safari (or another browser) on your computer?

Do you have anything on the computer which will allow you to start a server? For example, python will do this.
Safari can connect to it because its on 127.0.0.1. Nothing else. I've tried activating a web server, tried NOT activating a web server. firewall on with permissions, firewall off. Little snitch on and off. There is no logical reason this should not work, however thats how it is. I thank god that calibre is only one way of getting books onto the device.

Truly... lets leave it alone now, all options have been explored.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:01 AM   #242
foosion
Connoisseur
foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Pixel 4a
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Safari can connect to it because its on 127.0.0.1. Nothing else. I've tried activating a web server, tried NOT activating a web server. firewall on with permissions, firewall off. Little snitch on and off. There is no logical reason this should not work, however thats how it is. I thank god that calibre is only one way of getting books onto the device.

Truly... lets leave it alone now, all options have been explored.
Ignoring your last line:

Safari can connect to Calibre on 127.0.0.1:8080, but not 10.0.1.2:8080?

If you activate a web server on the computer, you can access it with your mobile device?
foosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #243
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosion View Post
Ignoring your last line:

Safari can connect to Calibre on 127.0.0.1:8080, but not 10.0.1.2:8080?

If you activate a web server on the computer, you can access it with your mobile device?
No. You asked me if I could connect to the server on my computer and i can. from safari on the computer not from the device. I cannot connect from the device.

I just dont want to pursue this anymore. Please.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:11 PM   #244
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
This isn't for you, but for others who may be interested. I use the machine name instead of hard coding the ip address. Http://mars:8080
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:13 PM   #245
syclone
Zealot
syclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge iPhone 4S IPad 1 iPad 2 Nook Touch 4 Palm Pilot
Calibre to iBook

I've been using Calibre to download Epub books into iTunes and then cut and paste them into my iPad or iPhone. It works perfectly every time. Is there something I'm not seeing here? Is there a problem with iBook?
syclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 05:18 PM   #246
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by syclone View Post
I've been using Calibre to download Epub books into iTunes and then cut and paste them into my iPad or iPhone. It works perfectly every time. Is there something I'm not seeing here? Is there a problem with iBook?
I don't think you mean "cut and paste." I suspect you are downloading direct to iBooks via Calibre sending to iTunes.

Problem with iBook? Yes.. iBook has many shortcomings.

Also, people want to be able to download via web or other tool. (i.e.: they are away from home and want to connect to their calibre server.)
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:38 PM   #247
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
I'm using Filebrowser to grab books from my PC and I'm pretty content with it. I can browse all of my PC's folders and use the 'Open With' command to bring a book into either Bluefire or iBooks (or any other reader that uses 'Open With'.

I can see two issues, neither of which is a big deal to me:
- You can't 'Open With' on a list of books, only one at a time. Filebrowser does let you select a list of files and copies them into its own filespace, so you can grab copies to take with you.

- If you use Calibre then you're not able to browse the titles of books, you'll see them the way Calibre renames and organizes them. Not an issue for me, as I don't use Calibre to organize my library for exactly that reason. I'm not dissing calibre, it's a fantastic application. I just strongly prefer to manage my own files. So this ends up not being an issue for me for Filebrowser use.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:19 AM   #248
syclone
Zealot
syclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge iPhone 4S IPad 1 iPad 2 Nook Touch 4 Palm Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
I don't think you mean "cut and paste." I suspect you are downloading direct to iBooks via Calibre sending to iTunes.
For some reason, since upgrading all of my Apple devices to IOS5 Calibre won't download directly to iBook. I have been downloading to iTunes (the book appears in the iTunes book library in the top area of the left column). I can, then, SELECT the book I want and drag it and paste it to the iPhone (or iPad) area further down on the left column. I guess it's known as "drag and drop". The only problem I've been having with iBook is that when a title is highlighted in the text with an attached page number, clicking on it moves the text to page 2 instead of the intended page number.

Although Stanza was a little more elegant, I find iBook very usable.
syclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #249
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
If you use Calibre then you're not able to browse the titles of books, you'll see them the way Calibre renames and organizes them.
What I did was to use Calibre's export functionality to export the ePub versions of the books into a folder structure of my liking (author/series/title with leading series info) then copy that folder.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #250
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
What I did was to use Calibre's export functionality to export the ePub versions of the books into a folder structure of my liking (author/series/title with leading series info) then copy that folder.
I do the same thing; use Calibre for format conversion and to edit metadata, and then export it so I have an easy, consistent file naming scheme. I just don't use it to actually manage my library.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:05 AM   #251
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by syclone View Post
For some reason, since upgrading all of my Apple devices to IOS5 Calibre won't download directly to iBook.
Wow, never thought I would see anyone say that... I cant d/l to stanza but absolutely no probs with iBooks.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:12 AM   #252
Wyndham
Connoisseur
Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad Air 2 (iOS 9), iPhone 6 (iOS 9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philantrop View Post
Yes, I've emailed the company about both issues (the localisation issue being a completely, utterly, devastatingly bad German UI translation) but never got a response.
I have now given up on i2Reader as they are not answering any emails and Apple refuse to do anything about it (the lack of support), so I am issuing a WARNING to stay away from i2Reader.

By contrast, I have discovered that the developer of MegaReader is actively working on meeting the requests of Stanza fans - see http://bit.ly/vCMqQi

Last edited by Wyndham; 11-02-2011 at 12:25 AM.
Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:48 PM   #253
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
The Stanza situation finally hit the tech press:
http://www.macworld.com/article/1633...c.twt_macworld

Quote:
Stanza was last updated in February. That version—3.1—is barely useable on iPhones, iPod touches, and iPads running the iOS 5 updated released by Apple a month ago. And Amazon, which owns the app, has yet to indicate whether an update is in the works; the company hasn’t responded to repeated requests for comment from Macworld.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #254
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
It makes me sad to see how Stanza's App Store rating has dropped from four stars to 3 1/2 due to this situation. Of course it's deserved, it's no longer usable in iOS5, but it truly was the single best reading app out there. I didn't realize how much I appreciated Stanza until I've been trying to replace it. It really does things well, gives users options. In fact, the only thing that I wish it did was make more configurable tap zones like the new MegaReader update does (so I could tap top left corner to previous page, and the rest of the sides to next page, a nice feature so I can switch hands without having to reconfigure tap zones or distort my hand in weird ways to turn the page). The unobtrusive little progress bar at the bottom-so awesome. The clock display (or not, if you prefer).

Maybe the bad press will get Amazon to do something.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #255
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
Maybe the bad press will get Amazon to do something.
Like what? Get up from their desk and go to lunch???
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bluefire, ios, stanza