Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #46
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozron View Post
So now I have to find a new source for Analog & Asimov's, does anyone subscribe to these at B&N or Sony Reader stores? I refuse to deal with Amazon considering you can only read them on your Kindle and they expire. Looking for someone like FW where you get to keep each issue, and preferably DRM free.
You also lose all of them when you eventually cancel. I refuse to get anything but TV Guide and the like from Amazon subscriptions.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #47
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
The only bad thing about doing the bulk downloads is the way they name the files and you don't have the opportunity to rename them. A lot of them just have numbers. Once they're run through Calibre, of course, the names appear.

Quote:
Would you recommend I download them in other formats like Mobipocket (I might get a Kindle one of these days) just in case
I wouldn't. I really don't see the point if you're using Calibre.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #48
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
The only bad thing about doing the bulk downloads is the way they name the files and you don't have the opportunity to rename them. A lot of them just have numbers. Once they're run through Calibre, of course, the names appear.
I think I'll create a new Calibre Library, just for these. It'll make it a bit easier to keep track of them (although they'll then be duplicated in my main library; it's just storage space, though).

Maybe I'll combine the two, after I make sure everything is fixed for just these (shortly after I finish by TBR list, I'm sure).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #49
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
I think I'll create a new Calibre Library, just for these. It'll make it a bit easier to keep track of them (although they'll then be duplicated in my main library; it's just storage space, though).

Maybe I'll combine the two, after I make sure everything is fixed for just these (shortly after I finish by TBR list, I'm sure).
That's what I'm doing, too. I kind of want to check everything over and make sure it's working right. (68 pages - yikes - I thought 57 was bad. )
Old 11-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #50
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Here's the easy way to bulk download if you want to do all your books:
[snip]
Thank you! I didn't realise they'd fixed this - I tried it earlier and it failed.

I don't think it will download your Secure Adobe ePub books, but I guess I'll find out when it's finished processing.

Luckily I only have 38 of them, so they'll be reasonable quick to re-download.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #51
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Too late to be much of a help here, but if you do a lot of downloads like this from other sites you might look into some download add-ons for your browser. I use Firefox for both Windows and Linux and I have the DownloadHelper, Download Manager Tweak, and Download Statusbar add-ons. The learning curve is very quick, and they make life a lot easier in terms of renaming download files before they're downloaded, changing target directories, etc.

I assume similar utilities are available for other browsers.

Last edited by cromag; 11-17-2012 at 06:09 PM. Reason: spelling, of course!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #52
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Thank you! I didn't realise they'd fixed this - I tried it earlier and it failed.

I don't think it will download your Secure Adobe ePub books, but I guess I'll find out when it's finished processing.

The bulk download didn't include the Secure Adobe ePubs. More surprisingly, it didn't include the Secure Mobipocket books. (although it did include 40 of my secure eReader ebooks). That may have been because I have the default format set to ePub. I'm trying it again with the format set to Kindle Compatible (Mobi).

No, still no secure Mobipocket files.

Oddly enough, downloaded Kindle compatible got me 851 Mobi files as compared to 870 ePub files. 20 ePubs didn't appear in the Mobi downloads, and 1 Mobi didn't appear in the ePubs. Weird. Especially as I thought I only had 846 multi-format ebooks!

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-17-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #53
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
The bulk download didn't include the Secure Adobe ePubs. More surprisingly, it didn't include the Secure Mobipocket books. (although it did include 40 of my secure eReader ebooks). That may have been because I have the default format set to ePub. I'm trying it again with the format set to Kindle Compatible (Mobi).

Oddly enough, downloaded Kindle compatible got me 851 Mobi files as compared to 870 ePub files. 20 ePubs didn't appear in the Mobi downloads, and 1 Mobi didn't appear in the ePubs. Weird. Especially as I thought I only had 846 multi-format ebooks!
If you have more than one be sure to record your Mobi PID's.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:38 PM   #54
NightBird
Wizard

Quote:

It looks like it will only download only one secure format at a time other than Ereader. In other words, if you pick mobi as the default format it will download secure mobipocket as well as multiformat. If you pick epub it will download secure Epubs and multiformat epubs only. So for the other formats we would have to either go through the whole thing again with a different default format or do the other secure formats manually (or using the section to the right of the yellow.)
Old 11-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #55
NightBird
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Too late to be much of a help here, but if you do a lot of downloads like this from other sites you might look into some download add-ons for your browser. I use Firefox for both Windows and Linux and I have the DownloadHelper, Download Manager Tweak, and Download Statusbar add-ons. The learning curve is very quick, and they make life a lot easier in terms of renaming download files before they're downloaded, changing target directories, etc.

I assume similar utilities are available for other browsers.
Thanks - Good idea - I will look into this. I use Chrome.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #56
NightBird
Wizard

Quote:

My mobipockets downloaded. The ones that didn't may be the ones that expired that they replaced with Ereader - remember that? Even though expired they still show in the bookshelf.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #57
NightBird
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
If you have more than one be sure to record your Mobi PID's.

bernie
Yes!

All these things should be ironed out before we opt in to transfer to B&N. At least from my understanding of the email the books will be transferred to B&N and no longer available from FW, so that will make things even more confusing.

I wish there was a way to copy my ratings.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #58
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
My mobipockets downloaded. The ones that didn't may be the ones that expired that they replaced with Ereader - remember that? Even though expired they still show in the bookshelf.
No, I have about 475 non-expired secure mobipocket files. None have bulk downloaded, whether the default format was Mobi (kindle) or prc.

But I can do them in batches of 99. It was the 850ish multiformat ones I really didn't want to have to batch download in ePub and Mobi.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #59
NightBird
Wizard

Quote:
No, I have about 475 non-expired secure mobipocket files. None have bulk downloaded, whether the default format was Mobi (kindle) or prc.

But I can do them in batches of 99. It was the 850ish multiformat ones I really didn't want to have to batch download in ePub and Mobi.
Huh weird.

The secure PDFs cannot be downloaded bulk - have to be downloaded individually.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #60
NightBird
Wizard

You're right - none of the secure formats are bulk downloading. The ones I had must have been from when I did it previously.

So basically, even though it says the secure formats are included, they aren't. Only the multiformats are being downloaded and the secure Ereader, so we have to do the other secure formats manually. Darn it!