Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #376
digimuzik
Bus Geek
digimuzik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digimuzik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digimuzik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helgetus View Post
Thanks for the video. At the bottom you see clearly were the light comes out. And it shows on the screen. AND THERE ARE FOUR LED'S. Not three, not five but FOUR. Can anyone of the new PW owners confirm that?
Maybe Amazon removed one LED in the meantime. Maybe they have to have four or five LED's even if it means only 4 weeks of battery live.
Owner confirmed!

There are 4 screen* LEDs on every Kindle. What you see on the screen (and in many pictures on the web) are 4 shadows, 3/5 "lights" depending on what you call a light. This is because the LEDs light up the display in a lattice / X-shaped grid. Directly above each LED is a shadow which is why some people are incorrectly saying there are 3 or 5 LEDs.

Plus a charging LED So technically there are 5 LEDs on every Kindle, but let's not confuse the issue.

Last edited by digimuzik; 10-05-2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Clarify LED count.
digimuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #377
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
They boasted a 20% increase in screen clarity. I think Harry T was excited about it. Doesn't seemed to have happened. Anyway, not time to upgrade yet.
25% in contrast. It's there with the light off, as some others have noticed. It's nice, but fairly minor; by itself it's not enough reason to upgrade.

Although if you think you might be interested, I would just order one and see how you like it; Amazon's returns are easy, and to some extent whether you like the screen or not is going to be a personal issue (defective screens aside).

Mine is great, in any event.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #378
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
Having had the Nook Glow, I do prefer the KPW over the Nook. I find the lighting to be much more even with the Kindle. With the Nook, I saw various shades of brightness/darkness throughout the screen. With the Kindle, I only notice it in the bottom.

I do prefer the KPW over a lighted case. I find that even with it's issues, lighting is much more even with the KPW than with any lighted case or clip on light that I've ever used.
So the question is how important night reading is to you. It is critical to me and I was tired of switching between my iPad and my Nook touch so this fits the bill very well for me. Would I take a more perfect screen? Sure but I'll take the PW and be very happy until a better lit screen exists.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #379
Helgetus
Zealot
Helgetus doesn't litterHelgetus doesn't litter

Device: PW1, PW2, KB3G, Sony PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
So the question is how important night reading is to you.
This is important for me too. With my K3 with lighted cover I have to make sure to cover up the left side of the bed (where my wife is sleeping) with the cover. This is hopefully better with the KPW.
What I want to know, is there any light flickering or disturbance when turning the page with the KPW? I do not want the room to go dark and light for every page turn!
Helgetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #380
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
So the question is how important night reading is to you. It is critical to me and I was tired of switching between my iPad and my Nook touch so this fits the bill very well for me. Would I take a more perfect screen? Sure but I'll take the PW and be very happy until a better lit screen exists.
I found the iPad too big for night time reading and the glare (with the sun) too much for day time reading. I read a lot a night and was reallllllllyyyyy looking forward to a lit Kindle device.

I agree with you. I would love to have a better PW screen, but will happily take what I have now.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #381
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
I set my light so that the background looks white but the screen does not appear to glow. I don't use max setting ever, in a bright room I use half, in a dark room I use almost nothing.
This advice is right on. After using the PW for a few days both at home and while traveling (airports, plane during the day and at night, etc) I simply adjust the light so it is barely noticeable. The better contrast that results over my Touch is well worth the upgrade. Add the fact that the screen is much more responsive and I'm loving it.

Is it possible that people are just cranking up the brightness way more than was intended for the conditions? The only time I've had it up even close to full was in the direct sunlight.
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #382
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
Having had the Nook Glow, I do prefer the KPW over the Nook. I find the lighting to be much more even with the Kindle.
What if you dont consider the lighting - Which one do you then prefer?
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #383
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
What if you dont consider the lighting - Which one do you then prefer?
In general, I prefer the Kindle because I have so much invested on books with Amazon. I also prefer Amazon.com vs BarnesandNoble.com website. Whispersync is so much smoother than B&N's system, let alone personal docs that can also be synced on Amazon but not on B&N. I like Amazon's integration with the public library so I don't have to download a book to the computer (which I don't have of my own anymore) before copying it to my device.

As for the device itself? I liked the Nook Glow. I loved that it has buttons for those (like me) who prefer to change pages that way rather than just touch screen. The light variations on the Nook is less noticeable than the PW. The Nook has more fonts than the Kindle.

Despite the device, I always recommend the Kindle over the Nook because of the library/syncing convenience.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #384
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Personally, I think a lot of these "screen problems" are due to a difference in our own vision accuracy. Some may see these minute variations as large and others simply may not be able to see them at all. Those with better vision may see problems where those with poor vision may not see them.

In addition, we may be comparing the eInk screens to LCD screens. eInk will never be as clear as LCD but LCD has more glare in bright light than eInk.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #385
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helgetus View Post
This is important for me too. With my K3 with lighted cover I have to make sure to cover up the left side of the bed (where my wife is sleeping) with the cover. This is hopefully better with the KPW.
What I want to know, is there any light flickering or disturbance when turning the page with the KPW? I do not want the room to go dark and light for every page turn!
Reading in bed made the refresh page "flash" every time you turn the page disturbing to my wife. I adjusted the refresh rate to every 6 pages (not sure but that may be the default) and it was better. The other thing you'll notice that if you read a book with a lot of images on the page it appears that the Kindle does a refresh to the page no matter what the refresh settings are.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #386
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I haven't noticed problems with the screen lighting nearly as bad as some of the photos in this thread. The lighting isn't perfectly and evenly spread, and there is some splotchiness along the bottom, but overall I think they did a pretty good job. It would be nice to have one of those models shown in the Amazon advertisements, though.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #387
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I'm having a mixed 'first impression'.

On the plus side:
- I like the cleaner look of Home screen
- I like quick access to Cloud, and the addition of 'Recent' sort there (as compared with Kindle Touch)
- Finally found the Go To feature on Home screen: tap 'n/n' label in bottom right corner.
- The new fonts look reasonably good, even at smallest text size
- touch response is less balky
- page turns are a bit faster than KT
- like the grouping of reading options at the top of the screen where you tap up there. Having to move finger down to the bottom to get to Aa/Go To/XRay on KT is silly.

On the minus side:
- Blacks look washed out, even with the light turned off (='all the way down'). When I get the light adjusted right, the background is of course whiter, but with the grayer text it is a bit of a wash. Is it '25% better contrast'? Really hard to say. It seems about as readable as KT.
- where is the screen capture feature?
- I miss the Home button. Would like to see a gesture for this instead (e.g. double tap in upper left corner, maybe a 3-finger pinch). You have to tap, wait a beat for the menu to come up, then tap again. I can think of several other multi-touch gestures I'd like to have for better navigation, but I don't know if there are really any prospects for that.
- The implementation of Panel View (comic books) is flawed. It always zooms the panel to fit the screen, which usually results in upscaling artifacts/fuzziness, because panels are generally less than 1024x758 in resolution. Ironically, it looks better (perfectly crisp) on my Kindle Keyboard in 'Actual Size' zoom setting. KPW lacks any zoom settings, and though you can zoom/pan, that does not let you get crisp images. For that you need to be able to get it to 'actual size' or some nice multiple of that.

On the yet to be seen:
- have only done limited 'lights out' test so far. I do see some very pale color ('reddish' and 'greenish' washes), probably prisming due to slight variation in the thickness of the capacitative layer (which is said to be sprayed on). Not sure it is going to bother me more than uneven lighting of an external light, and maybe my brain will stop seeing it over time, or maybe the screen will even out eventually.
- battery. is performance better than my KT3G?

Summary:
I was hoping to be more impressed by this point than I have been. But I'll need to spend more time with it before I can conclude whether the upgrade was worth it (or not).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #388
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
Reading in bed made the refresh page "flash" every time you turn the page disturbing to my wife. I adjusted the refresh rate to every 6 pages (not sure but that may be the default) and it was better. The other thing you'll notice that if you read a book with a lot of images on the page it appears that the Kindle does a refresh to the page no matter what the refresh settings are.
I think that the person that you're responding to was referring to the opposite effect.

On the K3 with lighted cover there's a brief "brownout" when changing pages where the light dims, which I never seem to notice when I'm reading, but notice a lot when my gf is reading on hers. My understanding on the paperwhite [which I've only seen mentioned, not in person] is that the screen blanking phase of refreshing causes the light to appear much brighter briefly, possibly equally annoying.
twowheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #389
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I think that the person that you're responding to was referring to the opposite effect.

On the K3 with lighted cover there's a brief "brownout" when changing pages where the light dims, which I never seem to notice when I'm reading, but notice a lot when my gf is reading on hers. My understanding on the paperwhite [which I've only seen mentioned, not in person] is that the screen blanking phase of refreshing causes the light to appear much brighter briefly, possibly equally annoying.
What I've noticed is not that it gets brighter but when the screen turns black, due to the refresh, there *seems* to be a flash because for a brief second the light goes out and then goes back on. This flash, or perhaps blink might be a better word, is what someone trying to sleep next you might notice. The level of the light from the Paperwhite doesn't change, there is no brownout. From my wife's perspective it's much better than me reading with the Touch's lighted cover.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #390
beninma
Enthusiast
beninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Various Kindles, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post

I didn't notice it till I started reading this thread.. but the Nook w/Glowlight also does this odd thing with the LEDs.. it brightens them momentarily on every page turn... I've had the Nook since right after it came out and never noticed it till yesterday.

I'm waiting for a Kindle PW as well.. if it is better then the Nook Glow in terms of screen color temp, contrast, etc.. it will be "good enough" for me as I'm tired of some of the B&N annoyances such as not being able to zoom pictures/diagrams, no cloud integration for the wishlist, poor contrast with the light off, etc..

If the Kindle PW does not have the odd blue tint of the nook LEDs and it does not give lose it's black level compared to non glow readers it will be a big improvement IMO. My nook has a lot of the uneven lighting issues that people mention in this thread.
beninma is offline   Reply With Quote