Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #91
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It was a play by Tom Stoppard. I don't recall there ever being a book.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:02 PM   #92
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Hamlet is onstage.
It was beginning to dawn, the last prayer came to a close. Quietly, the people left the enclosure. He went to where his horse was tethered and rolled up in his blanket. Sleepily there, he kissed the gold bracelet, saying,

"Never alone, never lamenting, never empty, Aha-lani, beautiful!"
Old 08-16-2011, 09:21 PM   #93
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

No guess for the classic American YA novel? Well if still needed tomorrow then it will be a done up on a billboard type clue.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:34 AM   #94
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Sounds like a fantasy novel, which ain't my thing...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:45 AM   #95
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Sounds like a fantasy novel, which ain't my thing...
No on the wrong track there. Same book second clue:

"When I was telling about what happened, I got to the part about thinking I was shot, and I started to laugh. I could not stop, I just laughed. So they started calling me by that name. That is all."
Old 08-17-2011, 08:12 AM   #96
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
No idea here ....
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:03 AM   #97
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Can't make out the billboard here, even if I squint.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:59 AM   #98
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So issybird and poohbear_nc still stumped ? This appears to be a dead end then. Perhaps it is I am too old and ever strange? Or maybe it is just that I spent part of my childhood in New Mexico, with a great uncle who actually grew up there during the time the book is set, and who I am sure is the one who gave me this book when I was young.

So anyway the book in question is Laughing Boy by Oliver La Farge (Winner of the 1930 Pulitzer Prize)

So with everyone's permission I would like to designate the next person. Burrowing back through this thread it appears to me that, of those who still seem interested, Orlok has not had a chance. So next up Orlok! Or if he does not respond by end of day, then anyone who cares to jump in.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:13 AM   #99
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, I'll have a go (I had never even heard of Laughing Boy, let alone read it. One of the problems of the multi-culturalism of MR, I guess ).

"It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live."

An older book than Hamlet's...
Old 08-17-2011, 11:18 AM   #100
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmm. Who would wish for death? Someone going through hard times. Older than 1930.

Oliver Twist?
Old 08-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #101
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Not Oliver Twist, but it is in classics territory.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:23 PM   #102
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
David copperfield?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:30 PM   #103
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Nope.

Another quote:

"He realized that he had gone beyond the limits of rightful vengeance and that he could no longer say 'God is for and with me.'"
Old 08-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #104
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

Hmmm.

A Journery to the Center of the Earth?

Would fit for the first quote, but not so much for the second.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #105
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Les Miserables?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote