Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-27-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
Belynda
Belynda began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
This is getting annoying!!

I keep trying to buy books from Amazon.com, many of them say Not available in UK!! ( Some of them are even British authors.)
I was looking at one book that was available priced at 18.99!!!! I noticed it said that in US the book was known by a different title, I looked and it was 9.99. I tried to buy, same old story not available in UK
Belynda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
An increasing problem ... "Geographical Restriction" courtesy of publishers ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
An increasing problem ... "Geographical Restriction" courtesy of publishers ....
Yep. Part of the joy of living in "interesting times". The transition to digital media sure is fascinating to watch. It's participating in it that's frustrating. I feel like I'm trying to drive my shiny new Model A but there are all these horse carts getting in my way.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
It is ironic that there are authors that cannot even sell to their own country
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:55 PM   #5
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belynda View Post
I keep trying to buy books from Amazon.com, many of them say Not available in UK!! ( Some of them are even British authors.)
I was looking at one book that was available priced at 18.99!!!! I noticed it said that in US the book was known by a different title, I looked and it was 9.99. I tried to buy, same old story not available in UK
I do not have a Kindle. But I understand from postings in the Kindle forum at Amazon, that since the Kindle has gone international you do not need a USA credit card anymore to buy books from the USA Kindle store.
If you register an USA shipping address (can be any valid address), you can use your regular UK credit card and billing address to buy books from the USA Kindle store. Of course you have to change the country settings to USA.
This way you are an American traveling abroad. So if you use the wireless download you have to pay extra, just use USB to download.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #6
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
It is ironic that there are authors that cannot even sell to their own country
Is it really ironic?

If they opted to self-publish they'd be allowed to do whatever the hell they want. And if they had successful books out before, it's not even like it would be particularly risky.

They really do willingly give those rights away... unless they were stupid enough to sign a prior contract with clauses obliging them to offer the publisher their subsequent X books. But even that isn't exactly forced.

Let's give authors their own share of the burden of traditional publishing stupidity. It's not that big a burden, but it does exist.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:02 PM   #7
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
In many cases, books prior to the internet (and with no reference to them in the contract) are having their rights locked up by publishers, though, Ahi. If you wrote the book 25 years ago...
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:08 PM   #8
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
In many cases, books prior to the internet (and with no reference to them in the contract) are having their rights locked up by publishers, though, Ahi. If you wrote the book 25 years ago...
Slightly, but not that different...

If 25 years ago you decided you have no qualms about letting your publisher retain all rights to your book in perpetuity, you are still (harsh as it may be) getting what you asked for.

- Ahi
Old 10-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #9
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Er, if there are no mentions of ebook rights, this is not at all the same thing as "all rights". The rights of the time can be enumerated (and usually are) in detail, but the publishers are taking the ebook rights anyway...
Old 10-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #10
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Er, if there are no mentions of ebook rights, this is not at all the same thing as "all rights". The rights of the time can be enumerated (and usually are) in detail, but the publishers are taking the ebook rights anyway...
What you are describing is a fairly cut and dry case of the publisher acting illegally. Why isn't the author disputing it, first directly and then, if need be, in court? Do multimillion dollar international publishing companies really hold grudges against individual authors?

And depending on the wording on the contract, it may indeed boil down to "all rights" that the publisher is licensed until the expiration of copyright.

- Ahi
Old 10-27-2009, 02:48 PM   #11
DawnFalcon
Banned

You really think authors are going to risk having their contracts cancelled, and potentially lose rights to many of their books, by attempting to contest with publishers a market as currently small as that for ebooks?

In the meantime, the precident is set...
Old 10-27-2009, 03:41 PM   #12
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
You really think authors are going to risk having their contracts cancelled, and potentially lose rights to many of their books, by attempting to contest with publishers a market as currently small as that for ebooks?

In the meantime, the precident is set...
Authors get rights returned to them by the cancellation of contracts. And how precisely do you see them losing rights to any books of theirs as a result of publisher disdain, short of the publisher deciding to sit on books that they could be making money off of?

I agree with a lot of what you say... but some of these big-bad-publisher arguments do step into the territory of whiny, and pretend none of the responsibility belongs to the author, when, indeed, the author's active decision is required for the publisher to have any rights at all.

- Ahi
Old 10-27-2009, 04:59 PM   #13
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
interestingly, I logged a US address on Amazon this morning and was then unable to locate the Barbara Erskine books or the new Steig Larrson book all of whcih are available on the Australian site. May have to switch between the two as required.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:11 PM   #14
DawnFalcon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Authors get rights returned to them by the cancellation of contracts.
No, that's entirely dependent on how the contract, quite a few I've seen assignmany of the rights to the publisher if the author's actions cause the break (which would be argued in a case like that), for example.

Novel contracts are not the only form of contract used, you know...
Old 10-27-2009, 06:44 PM   #15
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Well, in a way we are early adopters of this technology. It's not truly widestream in the way mobile phones are yet. I think that means we have to put up with the teething problems for the industry as it grapples with how to manage/price/sell/DRM ebooks.

The publishers have a system that works with traditional books but sucks with ebooks which can be distributed globally very easily. It's just a matter of time I think, so we just need to be patient while they annoy us with DRM models and geographic restrictions.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote