Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-20-2012, 08:50 AM   #256
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by trex_daemon View Post
I see. Thanks for the info.
Now regarding the other part of my question: How can I find out why it is stuck at 10-20% ?
Is there a way to enter usb-debugging without having the kindle up and running ?
I want to start usb networking, to bring up ssh /telnet ?
All are services provided by the computer executing the firmware.
Computer not running, no services.

What you are looking for is something provided by the hardware, not the execution of software.

Two choices in general:

Serial port.
The primary serial port is used by the SoC, the boot loader (u-boot) and then the Linux kernel. Each in the sequence of things starting up.

Our prefix index system has information on accessing the serial port for all models except the Kpw.

eJTAG.
This communications path works down to the level of the ARM core of the SoC, even if the ARM core is not running.

Nothing (that I know of) published here about using that on the Freescale SoC and/or the Kindles.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #257
trex_daemon
Enthusiast
trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle 3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
All are services provided by the computer executing the firmware.
Computer not running, no services.

What you are looking for is something provided by the hardware, not the execution of software.

Two choices in general:

Serial port.
The primary serial port is used by the SoC, the boot loader (u-boot) and then the Linux kernel. Each in the sequence of things starting up.

Our prefix index system has information on accessing the serial port for all models except the Kpw.

eJTAG.
This communications path works down to the level of the ARM core of the SoC, even if the ARM core is not running.

Nothing (that I know of) published here about using that on the Freescale SoC and/or the Kindles.
So in the end I need to make an USB-Serial converter.
trex_daemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #258
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trex_daemon View Post
So in the end I need to make an USB-Serial converter.
Better to buy one, but DIY can be done.

There are links to the datasheets of the one I recommend here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170566

What you are looking for is a 1.8volt, low voltage serial, to USB (or serial if you have a serial port on your pc) adapter.

Avoid makes/models that have indicator leds on the Tx and Rx leads - geekmaster reports problems with using those that require almost as much electronics skill to modify as building one from the git-go.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #259
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Avoid makes/models that have indicator leds on the Tx and Rx leads - geekmaster reports problems with using those that require almost as much electronics skill to modify as building one from the git-go.
The kindle TxD cannot sink enough current to light a serial adapter RxD LED. The LED may faintly light up, but the kindle has a 1K series resistor and the serial adapter RxD will only see about 1.4v on its RxD line for a logic zero, and will think that is actually a logic one. My modification consisted of removing the LED, adding a 22K pullup resistor to +3.3v, and adding a series diode to the wire going from the kindle TxD to the adapter RxD, such that the kindle could pull the adapter RxD line down to 0.7v (silicon diode voltage drop) which is recognized as logic zero for 1.8v/3.3v/5v TTL devices.

Yes, perhaps just buying a 1.8v adapter is better, but good luck searching for one, because most 3.3v adapters come with 1.8 meter cables.

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-20-2012 at 03:49 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #260
trex_daemon
Enthusiast
trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.trex_daemon is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle 3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
The kindle TxD cannot sink enough current to light a serial adapter TxD LED. The LED may faintly light up, but the kindle has a 1K series resistor and the serial adapter RxD will only see about 1.4v on its RxD line for a logic zero, and will think that is actually a logic one. My modification consisted of removing the LED, adding a 22L pullup resistor to +3.3v, and adding a series diode to the wire going from the kindle TxD to the adapter RxD, such that the kindle could pull the adapter RxD line down to 0.7v (silicon diode voltage drop) which is recognized as logic zero for 1.8v/3.3v/5v TTL devices.

Yes, perhaps just buying a 1.8v adapter is better, but good luck searching for one, because most 3.3v adapters come with 1.8 meter cables.

No problem with the USB adapter. I've done a couple of these with an FTDI. Here I will just use a voltage shifter. the DKU-5 cable is perfect for this, however this has 3.3v levels as far as I know, so the level shift still needs to be done.

It's still courius, why doesn't it boot and gets stuck at 10-12% ... I've flashed also my data to it, and also the 3.0.2 kernel and rootfs successfully to it.

Off-topic: while taking apart my kindle, I've managed to cut with the screwdriver the film that connects the kindle to the display
So after all, I might just build one from the 2, as I've checked, it costs 66$+ shipment for a new display ...
trex_daemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2012, 05:14 AM   #261
wiccan2
Connoisseur
wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3 - 3g, Samsung Galaxy Note
I'm attempting to follow this guide however none of the links for the multipart files work from medifire. It says that the download is limited. I have been searching for an hour now but still cant find the files anywhere. Does any one know of a mirror for the files or am I going to have to get a premium account to download these.
wiccan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:29 AM   #262
Wibber
Wibber is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Wibber is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Wibber is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Wibber is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Wibber is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Wibber is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Wibber is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Wibber is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Wibber is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Wibber is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Wibber is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: kindle K3G
What s/he said.
I need the rootfs image for a K3 kindle if anyone can hook a brother up (us I think)

Cheers
Wibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #263
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
hm... Go to the forum above this thread , the "Indle Developers Corner", and click the thread at the top that says Simple Debricking method, and find a link to pastebin, where there should be links to download other rootfs files.(they should be 3.4 firmware, until the multipart zips are fixed.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #264
wiccan2
Connoisseur
wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
hm... Go to the forum above this thread , the "Indle Developers Corner", and click the thread at the top that says Simple Debricking method, and find a link to pastebin, where there should be links to download other rootfs files.(they should be 3.4 firmware, until the multipart zips are fixed.
The 3.4 one is also a multipart zip and on mediafire. I can't seem to find any rootfs files that aren't on media fire.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #265
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

...If you can wait a while, I will try and mirror said images elsewhere.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #266
wiccan2
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
...If you can wait a while, I will try and mirror said images elsewhere.
Thank you that would be a big help. Waiting patiently.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #267
selarep
selarep began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hi, my Kindle 3 is bricked and I want to follow this guide but i can´t found mmcblk0p1-3.3 file. Please, somebody can give me a useful link? Thanks a lot
selarep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #268
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by selarep View Post
Hi, my Kindle 3 is bricked and I want to follow this guide but i can´t found mmcblk0p1-3.3 file. Please, somebody can give me a useful link? Thanks a lot
The K3 files are being moved to another mirror site.
Just hang in here for awhile.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #269
Wibber
Wibber is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Wibber is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Wibber is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Wibber is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Wibber is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Wibber is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Wibber is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Wibber is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Wibber is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Wibber is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Wibber is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: kindle K3G
thanks qlob!
Wibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #270
qlob
Official Lurker

I've started the image on it's way to the server, may take a while due to my slow internet...

Tags
debrick, debricking, howto, kindle 3