Notices

Old 08-15-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
attemptress
Enthusiast
attemptress began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
Broken PE power socket

Okay, here's the problem:

The wee little pin in the center of the power socket of my PE busted off into the AC/DC adapter plug over the weekend.

I ended up at least temporarily destroying my adapter to retrieve the wee pin (really more like a tube).

Luckily, I have a couple of extra "universal"-type adapters that work just fine, so that part isn't the problem.

The problem is figuring out how to stick the wee pin in again so it stays put and/or replacing the whole socket.

I took apart my PE, and discovered the socket is soldered in good n' tight. I'm not overly confident in my ability to replace it . . . unless someone's got some good advice as to how to go about it.

I tried heating the end of the pin with some solder, and sticking it in there, but, of course it was too cool by the time it got down in there to stay put.

My temporary fix (that, surprisingly, works), was to take a piece of wire salvaged from a broken cordless phone that had a bit of solder on it, heat it, put it in the hole made by the missing pin, and place the pin over the wire. The PE charges with this set-up, BUT the pin comes out with the adapter (although so far, the wire stays in place).

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Also, while my "universal" adaptor works in the interim, it's kinda big. Does anyone know where I can get either a smaller AC/DC adapter or a replacement PE adapter?

Thanks
attemptress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
If you have an electronics parts house near (radio shack might have it) ask for solder rmover. It is a wire mesh that you lay on solder and heat, the solder wicks into the mesh and leaves the contact of the jack free, you just change the jack and resolder.

if they don't have the mesh (cheaper) they might sell solder remover tools that suck the solder out. They work great after you get used to them. You heat the solder then quickly stick the tip of the tool on and release the button and it sucks the solder out.

Finding the jack might be the problem, Radio shack or a parts house if not online.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2011, 05:47 AM   #3
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Somewhere in another thread I gave the specifications for the socket.

Apart from a replacement socket you need a precision (preferably temperature controlled) soldering iron and a 'solder sucker' tool with a teflon tip - that way you can use it beside the soldering iron tip (the solder wick is not the best 'tool' to use in your situation as it is very easy to bridge tracks on the board with it.

Another bit of advice I can give is to get the tools and practice on an old broken circuit board - that is one of the tests I give to anyone wanting to work for us doing repairs to computer equipment.

If you can't find the specs for the socket let me know and I'll dig them out again.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
fgruber
Academic
fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Note Plus
Does anyone knows the radio shack part number or especifications of the power socket? The one in my EE allso broke and need to buy a replacement
fgruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
attemptress
Enthusiast

Hello, all.

Thanks for your responses.

I don't know what the exact specs of the socket are, but an Enercell universal AC/DC adapter "H" plug (available at RadioShack) fits it.

I ended up fixing my socket without replacing it. Here's how:

Opened up the cover, and unscrewed the circuit board.

Lifted the circuit board away from the rest of the device (be extra careful of the cord connecting the eink screen to the circuitboard and of the little plastic deal that connects the outside power switch to the real power switch)

Opened the device a bit, so it could stand on edge.

Soldered the broken-off tip to a slightly ground-down paperclip (go-go tin antimony 95/5!).

Clipped the clip to the approximately correct length.

Inserted the clip into the hole left by the broken center pin - adjusted length as neccessary.

VERY CAREFULLY soldered it into place from the back end. If you try this, be careful not to a) melt anything important or b) accidentally connect the circuit to the "ground".

And . . . voila!

Note regarding power switch: the warning comes from the voice of experience. I busted mine . . . so now I can only my PE on/off by opening the whole case. It should be a fairly easy fix - glue a little rod to connect the outside switch to the inside switch. I just haven't had time to do it yet (plus, I'm a little scared that I might accidentally gum-up the internal switch-slide).

Thanks again for the info re: solder-remover. I'll store it away for future reference.
Advert
Old 08-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
attemptress
Enthusiast

Oh yes, one more thing. While I MIGHT be able to fix my original power adapter, does anyone know where a relatively small (read: same size or smaller than the original) AC/DC adapter can be found to replace it?
Old 08-19-2011, 08:21 PM   #7
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glad you got it fixed attemptress. In emergencies we have done similar repairs. Re the switch - one spot of super glue on the extension which is then attached to the switch should do the job, especially if you hold the unit so the switch is above the extension.

If your original power adapter is still working why not just get a replacement plug and solder it to the end of the cable?
Old 08-19-2011, 11:23 PM   #8
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Congratulations, Attemptress! I've been wanting to ask if you were able to fix it!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
Triskalleon
Enthusiast
Triskalleon began at the beginning.

Device: none
Does anybody know of a right-hand adapter for the plug? It looks fragile and since I sometimes want to use the PE in my lap with it plugged in, I worry for the socket.
Triskalleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #10
Turtlehead
Enthusiast
Turtlehead began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triskalleon View Post
Does anybody know of a right-hand adapter for the plug? It looks fragile and since I sometimes want to use the PE in my lap with it plugged in, I worry for the socket.
Good point Triskalleon, I had the same concern but did not think about changing to an angle plug. I found a ninety on one of my other power supplies and connected it. I like this much better.
Turtlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:51 PM   #11
Turtlehead
Enthusiast
Turtlehead began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triskalleon View Post
Triskalleon, sorry forgot to give you a suggestion finding one. Try "Allied Electronics".
Turtlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:35 AM   #12
attemptress
Enthusiast

@Triskalleon:

The "Enercell" universal adapters also have angled plugs. The "H" plug fits the PE.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:50 PM   #13
fgruber
Academic
fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Note Plus
Hi

Just in case someone else need the info I fixed my EE by replacing the broken power socket by
101194 JACK,DC PWR,MALE,1.3mm

which I got from Jameco for 59 cents:
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...gDrillDownView
fgruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #14
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Thanks, fgruber! That's my biggest fear with my EE, that the power socket will break. Good to know exactly what I need and where to get it should that happen.

Cheers!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:10 AM   #15
ivanjt
Guru

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgruber View Post
Hi

Just in case someone else need the info I fixed my EE by replacing the broken power socket by
101194 JACK,DC PWR,MALE,1.3mm

which I got from Jameco for 59 cents:
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...gDrillDownView
Now we know that part is easily available it will be some other part we'll need to find - sods law

Tags
edge, electricity, power, power cord, power supply