Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #21196
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've just finished "By Any Other Name", an SF short story collection by Spider Robinson, which I originally bought from Baen in 2001. Extremely enjoyable, particularly the novella which is the "title story" of the book. Highly recommended, although I should perhaps note that a couple of the stories in the book are sexually explicit.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:37 PM   #21197
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Currently reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I've read 3 of the 4 books in the Steampunk series, Tales of the Ketty Jay by Chris Wooding. Lisa Mantchev is only the 2nd author that I've read who writes in the genre, Steampunk. Ticker was Steampunk but a lot different than the world of the Ketty Jay! It was fast-paced and exciting like that other world. The characters were likeable and interesting. It was overall, a quite enjoyable read.

Now I'm going back to an old favorite (not Steampunk) author, Patricia Briggs and her collected Mercy Thompson short stories, Shifting Shadows: Stories from the World of Mercy Thompson.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
The short story collection, Shifting Shadows: Stories from the World of Mercy Thompson was highly enjoyable for me, as a fan of the Mercy Thompson novels.

I just saw the movie Winter's Bone on TV and since the novel, Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell was already in my TBR pile I decided that it was the time to give it a read.
I got just a few pages into Winter's Bone and then was sidetracked by a bunch of Thanksgiving Holiday honey-do's. Finally I got to return to my new Kindle Voyage and lo and behold, magically, instead of Winter's Bone being in front of me, right where I'd left off, Stephen King's new novel, Revival opened. I immediately read the first chapter and, like pretty much all of King's books, I was hooked.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2014, 12:47 PM   #21198
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I've been reading Mission Gamma Book One: Twilight: Twilight Bk. 1 (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine) by David R. George III

...and it really seems to be jumping around quite a bit. I'm about 40% in an there still doesn't seem to be any solid plot line. I mean a few chapters here and there are good, but other than that I don't see a story.

Anyone else find this to be the case? I assume this is B1 of 3 and maybe that's why the slow start. I'm really considering moving on.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:12 PM   #21199
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Last night I finished Miss Zukas and the Library Murders by Jo Dereske, which I enjoyed, mainly for the lead character, Miss Zukas herself, who was great. I'd picked up book 4 in the series as a freebie ages ago, and despite having this first one in my wishlist ever since, its price never wavered. I couldn't bring myself to start at book 4 so I caved in and bought it.
When this happens to me, I'll often get book 1 from the library. If I liked it enough to want to keep a copy, I'll buy it then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookie2 View Post
Back to Ilona Andrews today, beginning her Kate Daniels series.Magic Bites finished and Magic Burns now on the go.Enjoying more the action and dialogue than the Blake Charlton of my last post.These are a quick read so one a day for a few days I expect- then a break for some mystery perhaps.
Magic Bites and Magic Burns were the first two PUF (paranormal and urban fiction) books I ever read. They turned me on to a whole new genre.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:20 AM   #21200
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Oh, I need something fun after that last monstrosity, which I only didn't abandon because it was so short. I'll read whichever's the next Georgette Heyer on my ebook reader.
And so I'm now reading An Infamous Army by Georgette Heyer. Another Regency Romance, continuing with the characters from Regency Buck, but (as far as I've got, anyway) set in Belgium, and involving the Duke of Wellington. Looking good so far, although keeping track of all the characters is tricky. A re-read of Regency Buck beforehand might have been a good idea.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2014, 07:30 AM   #21201
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And so I'm now reading An Infamous Army by Georgette Heyer. Another Regency Romance, continuing with the characters from Regency Buck, but (as far as I've got, anyway) set in Belgium, and involving the Duke of Wellington. Looking good so far, although keeping track of all the characters is tricky. A re-read of Regency Buck beforehand might have been a good idea.
I read An Infamous Army recently and it was great. I wasn't aware Regency Buck was related until, sadly, afterwards. I started it but only a third way in. I haven't completed any fiction in (as of today) a whole month
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 05:57 AM   #21202
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished The Science of Interstellar by Kip Thorne It was very interesting and I now understand the movie much better.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 04:25 AM   #21203
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Yesterday I finished The Leper of Saint Giles (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael Book 5) by Ellis Peters. I give it a very strong 4 stars out of 5. This, so far, has been my favorite of the series.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 11:12 AM   #21204
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Yesterday I finished The Leper of Saint Giles (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael Book 5) by Ellis Peters. I give it a very strong 4 stars out of 5. This, so far, has been my favorite of the series.
Oh so good to know. I'm just starting Saint Peter's Fair, so it won't be long before I get to The Leper of Saint Giles.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:19 AM   #21205
Hampshire Nanny
Guru

Finished A Rising Thunder by David Weber -- though the book simply stopped without a finish! I have Shadow of Freedom yet to read, but it's one of the parallel threads, not the mainline. Has anyone heard when the next Honor Harrington novel is due?
Old 11-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #21206
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
Finished A Rising Thunder by David Weber -- though the book simply stopped without a finish! I have Shadow of Freedom yet to read, but it's one of the parallel threads, not the mainline. Has anyone heard when the next Honor Harrington novel is due?
Not before summer, going by the announced bundle list.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:34 AM   #21207
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Just went way back in time to read the first "Burglar" book from Lawrence Block, Burglars Can't be Choosers. And I must say I quite enjoyed it. Enough that I'm going to read the next one. A complete break from the sort of thing I have been reading.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:39 AM   #21208
Hampshire Nanny
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Quote:
Not before summer, going by the announced bundle list.
I suppose you're going by the fact that no Honor Harrington books are listed in the January thru May bundles. I haven't seen anything anywhere that indicates when the next installment might be out.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:12 AM   #21209
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
I suppose you're going by the fact that no Honor Harrington books are listed in the January thru May bundles. I haven't seen anything anywhere that indicates when the next installment might be out.
Yes, exactly. That's why I said what I did; "nothing announced yet, as far as I can see."
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:19 AM   #21210
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Yes, exactly. That's why I said what I did; "nothing announced yet, as far as I can see."
There was a 5-year gap in the series between "At All Costs" and "Mission of Honor", so unfortunately lengthy waits for books are not uncommon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote