Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
TheDeciderBoy
TheDeciderBoy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Did you buy Service Net or SquareTrade warranty? why?

Did you buy Service Net or SquareTrade warranty? And Why?

The advantage to Service Net to me is that while they are not the same company as Amazon they are tightly affiliated, for example, Amazon.Com can transfer you to Service Net. They also usually although not guaranteed send you new or REFURBISHED kindle within 24 hours.

The advantage to Square Trade to me is that often they say it is easier to cut you a check than ship you another Kindle. This could lead to a brand new kindle even if it is a newer moderl.

I am leaning toward Square Trade. Even if Square Trade was slightly (not excessively) higher priced I would still be leaning toward them.

What does the jury (thats you) think?
TheDeciderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
we chose not to buy either, mostly because I never buy any type of extended warranties for anything
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
For a little over a buck a month, my SquareTrade warranty will replace the battery if it needs it in the next three years ... also replace the unit if I drop and break it or spill something on it. That, IMHO, is a worthwhile investment.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #4
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
for my KDX G, too expensive to buy ($100 for a $380 device)... in a year or two(when the original warranty expires), the price will probably drop...
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #5
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
for my KDX G, too expensive to buy ($100 for a $380 device)... in a year or two(when the original warranty expires), the price will probably drop...
This. In 2013 / 2014 Kindles may just be $79 brand new.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #6
el_brio
Enthusiast
el_brio began at the beginning.

Device: Commodore 64
Extended warranties are for suckers. They are nearly universally a bad deal for the consumer. Insurance is for big very expensive things like houses, cars and people. Not $140 disposable electronics.
el_brio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:53 PM   #7
andrew121
andrew121 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 - 3G+WiFi
I bought my Kindle with my American Express card, which should double the original warranty for free!
andrew121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:26 PM   #8
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
This should have been combined with the other thread on extended warranties. My reply is there is anyone's interested in looking.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:34 PM   #9
IntegrityWolf
^_^
IntegrityWolf began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch (Wi-Fi)
I normally don't get extended warranties but I did for my Kindle. I have the K3 so the insurance wasn't that expensive for me. I broke my K1 screen by accident once (I slipped and fell on the ice while it was in my backpack) and managed to get warranty to replace it but it wasn't covered. (I talked to a nice supervisor and he did it for me).

After that experience, I will insure my Kindle. It has a delicate screen and I can be clumsy so I just don't trust myself.

My cell phone however has no insurance. That thing is built like a tank!
IntegrityWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:13 AM   #10
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I bought one back when Kindles cost over $300. The price has come down so much that it doesn't seem worthwhile anymore.

My credit card also doubles Amazon's standard warranty and I figure that after 2 years I'll probably be wanting to buy a new model anyway.

Overall I do like SquareTrade though. I've covered the kid's iPADs through them and also a laptop and a video game system.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #11
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
I bought square trade mostly because the kindle was a gift and prices were higher at the time.

"Extended warranties are for suckers. They are nearly universally a bad deal for the consumer."

Depends. I used to sell things indirectly for john deere. We weren't a dealership but some would say "Why should I buy an extended warranty from you guys when the John Deere dealership is down the street?" good question...

the employees at that dealership were very rude and inconsiderate to the point where we lost sales when we said the service could be performed by them!

The dealership closed and customers came back wanting to know if we could service them..sorry..you didn't buy the extended plan. The nearest dealerships after they closed were at least 30 miles away.

With electronics sure I can see the argument..it lessens when it is something that is portable. If it's something that is physically worn out and performs mechanical tasks then I'd tend to recommend it.
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote