Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #2671
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The Mobileread moderation team disapproves of and does not condone circumventing the display of advertisements in advertisement-subsidized devices.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 10-10-2012 at 02:22 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #2672
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Which is fair enough.

That's a far cry from showing your own pictures and fonts
The thrust of this thread.

Stump up your dough, keep the bean-counters happy, anything else may hurt the future of the devices, let's not have another tethering disaster yeah?

Throw stones now, thanks
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #2673
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Although we disapprove of DOING it, the official MobileRead policy allows Special Offers removal to be discussed openly, and even to provide detailed instructions how to remove Special Offers (because is is NOT illegal).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
No. Same policy. Messages about ad removal are currently permitted and won't be deleted.

Ths "...disapproves of and does not condone.." wording has been used in mod comments on such posts since the beginning of the year.
Here is one of many threads that that discuss this topic:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=160085

If the policy has changed, there is a LOT of MobileRead history that needs to be "moderated".

EDIT: Oh the other hand, 3G tethering details have always been banned, and such details get deleted and threads closed, unlike SO-removal...

EDIT2: Please remove your ads the "Right Way", and have amazon do it for you...

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-10-2012 at 10:54 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #2674
digimuzik
Bus Geek
digimuzik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digimuzik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digimuzik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I paid my $20 fee. I just wish I could keep the ads at the bottom of the homescreen (since you can only see 6 covers anyway) to get good deals, but keep my custom screensavers. I guess I'll just have to keep my eye on the SO thread and turn them back on if anything good (like the $5 credit or the best-seller for $1) shows up again.
digimuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #2675
smowery
smowery began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX (3G)
Kindle DX Graphite - FW 2.5.8

Has anyone had success with a hack for the screensavers on the DX Graphite with 2.5.8 build?

I have tried a couple downloads, the newest and perhaps closest to success being update_ss_0.29.N_dxg_install.bin from the beginning of this thread. Unfortunately it runs for about 90-seconds, the gives a failure notice, and reboots.
smowery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #2676
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I run a DX 2.5.8 with Nilujes ScreenSavers Hack Powering LCARS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LCARS

Never had an issue.

show us your logs and we could maybe hazard a guess
(strip any personal details and wrap it in spoilers please) thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lcars_wallpaper.gif
Views:	227
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	93853  
Old 10-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #2677
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@smowery: Wild guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Don't try to force a custom update by rebooting your Kindle. You should *always* install custom hacks via the Settings page. If the 'Update Your Kindle' link is greyed out, it's because you uploaded the wrong binfile for your device. Don't try to force an install by rebooting. It'll, at best, fail, and at worst, force you to start your Kindle in recovery mode to delete the offending update.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #2678
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Snip...Here is one of many threads that that discuss this topic:... Snip[/B]
The thread is closed, if not deleted.
I agree with you 100%. keep it fair. pay the pittance.

anyway. that's my last OT. sorry "Fonts & ScreenSavers hacks for Kindles" readers... Back to your regular scheduled thread content...
Old 10-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #2679
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by digimuzik View Post
I paid my $20 fee. I just wish I could keep the ads at the bottom of the homescreen (since you can only see 6 covers anyway) to get good deals, but keep my custom screensavers. I guess I'll just have to keep my eye on the SO thread and turn them back on if anything good (like the $5 credit or the best-seller for $1) shows up again.
I also shot Amazon the extra $20 a few days ago to remove the ads, and now I'm kind of missing them. There's only so many screensavers, and I believe I've already seen them all. It gets to be same-old/same-old. At least with the ads, they're changed on a fairly regular basis so there's always the hope of something new to look at.

On the bright side, at least I won't be running the risk of having this Huggies baby butt staring me in the face when I pick up my Kindle anymore. I saw this fellow on my Kindle Touch a while back. Guess that goes to show the ads aren't marketed to a specific audience. I'm 62 years old. The next time I buy any diapers, they'll probably be for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	huggies.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	93877  
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #2680
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
The thread is closed, if not deleted.
I agree with you 100%. keep it fair. pay the pittance.

anyway. that's my last OT. sorry "Fonts & ScreenSavers hacks for Kindles" readers... Back to your regular scheduled thread content...
That thread is not deleted (but it is closed). It contains instructions in the first post. You just cannot add anything new to the discussion. It was probably closed after deleting the hotter parts of a typical festering morality debate that tends to hijack such threads.

EDIT: And I like my ads too. They really DO give more variety than the "same old" screensavers. Even the home screen ad gives a little flavor and variety, and it is quite unobtrusive.

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-10-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:19 PM   #2681
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
On the bright side, at least I won't be running the risk of having this Huggies baby butt staring me in the face when I pick up my Kindle anymore. I saw this fellow on my Kindle Touch a while back. Guess that goes to show the ads aren't marketed to a specific audience. I'm 62 years old. The next time I buy any diapers, they'll probably be for me.
At least it wasn't the diapered butt of a wrinkled old fogey sticking up into your face. Perhaps if they start tracking your preferences better, you may have eventually gotten such a targetted ad. Perhaps better to leave your ads off.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #2682
digimuzik
Bus Geek
digimuzik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digimuzik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digimuzik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks guys. Now I have to clean the coffee off my monitor....
digimuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #2683
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Released Fonts v5.5.N, SS v0.30.N, USBNet v0.44.N.

Mostly updated binaries, a few under-the-hood changes, and the addition of mosh-client to USBNet.

I also repacked the JailBreak to follow pdurrant's suggestion: the default install files now target the latest FW versions, while the files with the 3.0-to-3.2 suffix target those older FW. The doc has been updated to follow this change.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #2684
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Yay! mosh! never expected you to build the client though... I didn't actually see that you were nice enought to build mosh-server and put it in USBnet until i installed usbnet on my new Kindle..... Thanks so much !!!
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #2685
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@qlob: Well, I couldn't, as it was mostly a perl script before. They seem to have merged the C++ port of it in the latest development release, though. There's still a 'mosh' perl wrapper, but I didn't investigate much more than that. I hope the -client/-server couple is enough...

EDIT: Nope, the C++ wrapper hasn't been merged yet. So, err, yeah, the -client part might not be that useful, yet . I confused the -client with the wrapper last night, not merged yet .

EDIT²: If you really care about the client, I can build a patched version with the C++ wrapper... .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-12-2012 at 03:36 PM.

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet