Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-03-2014, 01:20 AM   #1
gourav
gourav doesn't littergourav doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th Gen
Newspaper style ToC in ebook

When I use the fetch news feature of Calibre, the ToC that is displayed on my kindle is divided into two halves, the left half of the screen shows the sections and on selecting any section, the right half shows the articles inside that section.
Is there a way to design this kind of table of contents for ebooks?

I have a book with 25 chapters containing over 500 sections. I need to link each section with the ToC which is resulting in a very long ToC spanning multiple pages. So if I could make a newspaper style ToC, it would be much easier to navigate.
gourav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:26 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gourav View Post
When I use the fetch news feature of Calibre, the ToC that is displayed on my kindle is divided into two halves, the left half of the screen shows the sections and on selecting any section, the right half shows the articles inside that section.
Is there a way to design this kind of table of contents for ebooks?

I have a book with 25 chapters containing over 500 sections. I need to link each section with the ToC which is resulting in a very long ToC spanning multiple pages. So if I could make a newspaper style ToC, it would be much easier to navigate.
a 2 column mode is fraught with issues., which may be why it is not supported.

What happens on a 3 inch screen? KISS, just make a single column and avoid those kinds of (tablerelated ) issues
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No you cannot create periodical formatting for normal books. And note that any book you send through amazon's personal document service automatically gets its periodical formatting stripped, so you cannot rely on it anyway.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:47 AM   #4
gourav
gourav doesn't littergourav doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
And note that any book you send through amazon's personal document service automatically gets its periodical formatting stripped, so you cannot rely on it anyway.
I could always side-load to prevent that.

Can the limit of 100 articles be bypassed while downloading news content from a website?
gourav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:53 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There are no limits, read the API documentation for the recipe class and you will see how to increase the default 100 articles per feed limit.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert