Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #931
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
It probably is, yes. The reason is likely that you wrote accidentally wrong data to it (like a too big image of something else to a place before it. As long as the offsets are not clear (or the encoding, but I remember serial number and MAC address as being ASCII-encoded upper case hexadecimal digit per byte) - you cannot really start editing. Maybe you can make out the place of the serial number from what the Kindle shows in its settings. You should see the (displayable) characters in the dump. Won't work very good if most of the bytes there are in the not-displayable range.

Otherwise, I can only repeat: I can have a look and create a table, but will need some free minutes/hours and those will not come until roughly a week from now.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #932
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaelThunderwing View Post
@geekmaster i PM'd you my dumps (devid varfs partition3 and kernel) as the kindle stands now.(these were dumped using the k3backup script)

Edit: ok how would i go about editing my devid dump? viewing it in wxHexEditor (one i found for linux) there was Just jumbled nonsense
I compared your devid.img to one I did for a B006 and for a B008 K3. Your data is all random binary. Mine is mostly text, containing ASCII representation of hex characters. Comparing my K3 3G and K3 Wifi devid.img files shows where the unique values are. I need to compare them to known values from the idme command to identify which fields they are. I will do that when I have time to plug in a K3 and play with it a bit...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2012, 02:28 AM   #933
CaelThunderwing
Zealot
CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: K3(Wifi+3G)
@geekmaster and @hawhil thanks verry much i purchased another Kindle Keyboard ( a 3G one) for my brother so he can use it for auto repair manuals/reading some stories online when/where ever he wants for xmas (sadly the seller on amazon (i only could afford a "used" one said it wont arrive till aftre newyears as he's stacked with orders.)

@geekmaster, sending you a PM about the matter :3
CaelThunderwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #934
CaelThunderwing
Zealot
CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40

Small progress, aftre my brothers own kindle arrived (i got some money from realitives for xmas and got him one for reading game guides that he's saved etc to it and reading some sites like fanfiction.net) i first Dumped his Kindle's FW, took it's devid dump and usinh HxD Hex editor Paste-inserted my Serial and mac address mac address didnt work (still get seen as a "Wifi+3G" but now that it had the Right serial # i was able to JB+ install USBNetworking.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #935
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Small progress, aftre my brothers own kindle arrived (i got some money from realitives for xmas and got him one for reading game guides that he's saved etc to it and reading some sites like fanfiction.net) i first Dumped his Kindle's FW, took it's devid dump and usinh HxD Hex editor Paste-inserted my Serial and mac address mac address didnt work (still get seen as a "Wifi+3G" but now that it had the Right serial # i was able to JB+ install USBNetworking.
Sounds like progress.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #936
CaelThunderwing
Zealot

i think down to now unless the kernel has diffrent drivers for wifi between Wifi only and Wifi+3G, besides thte obvious addition for the 3g hardware, i just need a copy of a Wifi only/s kernel or rootfs image
Old 12-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #937
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They are installable modules, you just need to tweak the control files a bit as mentioned to you earlier.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:10 PM   #938
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
... Paste-inserted my Serial and mac address mac address didnt work (still get seen as a "Wifi+3G" but now that it had the Right serial # i was able to JB+ install USBNetworking.
Diffrerences between 3G and wifi-only firmware:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195975

Summary: The only difference between 3G and wifi-only is the config file contents, as shown in that thread. You should edit yours, as shown there.

EDIT:
That information is for a PW. A K3 may be similar, or may have more differences.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-21-2012 at 08:37 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:08 AM   #939
CaelThunderwing
Zealot

ok just checked to see if any replies, but before i do, i'm curious geek, beyond Initalizing he Ram, is there other functions the PCBA ID serves? and how would i find the orginal ones?

intresting notice, the K3 3G's Diags is newer than my Wifi only's Diags. (3g one is at Shasta diagnostics 5.22 while the K3 Wifi only is at 5.17)

ok i saw 2 folders there, interface 1 and 2, the "name" file for interface 2 was refeered to wan (3g i guess) so i set in "enabled" data to 0 (i hope thats right)

is it saf eto Delete that interface2 folder?

(hmm i've tried re-applying the wifi MAC address this time using idme and i still see Wifi Mac address : Unavilable)

Last edited by CaelThunderwing; 12-21-2012 at 01:38 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:39 AM   #940
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
(hmm i've tried re-applying the wifi MAC address this time using idme and i still see Wifi Mac address : Unavilable)
You must do a full re-boot of the kernel to see the changes.
Not an update, Not a resume, a cold start boot.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:07 AM   #941
CaelThunderwing
Zealot

just did. and still says "Unavailable"
Old 12-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #942
PabloEr
PabloEr began at the beginning.

Device: K3wifi
brick :(

1. Buy Kindle 3 wifi on ebay
2. Recieved. Open. see 3.4 firmware.
3. Make downgrade with ATK V 1.67 to 3.0.2
4. ATK write: success
5. Brik
- Not power on (15 / 30 / 60 sec, power + magic key volume down known key shortcuts - don't yield result)
- repeated firmware + repeated firmware - the same
- charging from charging device - yellow light on (4...6 hours) and die away. Make charging more 20 hours.
- If to get and again to turn on charging plug - again the yellow indicator on.
- The computer sees the device BLANK RINGO it is possible to download firmware again

What me to do?
I in mourning, badly sleep...
PabloEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #943
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloEr View Post
3. Make downgrade with ATK V 1.67 to 3.0.2
Please describe all details of that step.
Include description of all four image files used, such as where you got them, what you did with them.

PS: Why the downgrade?
What did you hope to achieve?
Old 12-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #944
PabloEr
PabloEr began at the beginning.

Device: K3wifi
1. Programmed by ATK k3w-kernel-factory_3.0.2.img 0x00041000
2. Programmed by ATK mcblk0p1-3.0.2-factory.img 0x003C1000

It is necessary for possibility of installation of Russian Language. With 3.4 firmware it not possible. I bought the book on ebay.com for old Russian, he doesn't know English.

P.S. I have absolutely similar book K3wifi. Maybe it is possible to merge something from it and to fill in bricked K3 that it began to work normally??

P.P.S: To me try to help! I am glad!
I understood that the book is in a download mode and doesn't quit it as can't load system. Something should be done with it.

Last edited by PabloEr; 12-24-2012 at 02:54 PM.
PabloEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #945
CaelThunderwing
Zealot

pab, you probbly did the same thing i did, your going to need to use k3flasher to dump your devid, flash hawhil's partitiontable then kernel then rootfs then reflash your devid, (the guide should mention to use k3flasher over atk as you should even bricked dump your devid!)

sadly k3flasher's only for linux, but a lil easier to use than atk.

i must stress out as it got me in the pickle i am in. dump your devid first before flashing anything to 0x0 but it sounds like your kindle cant start due to a screwed up partition table (even as is, with k3flasher run the backup script, then https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2217459 for the partition table+ uboot)

but you mention the battery is dead now. charge for atleast 1 to 2 full days, and like knc1 had to stress to me Ignore the charge led. then try again.

Last edited by CaelThunderwing; 12-24-2012 at 03:22 PM.

Tags
debricking