Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
00smita
00smita began at the beginning.

Device: none
Leisure/Dorchester Horror Recommendations.

Last night, I found out that Dorchester has made a number of their horror novels (which I still think of as the Leisure Horror line ) available in nook editions for $2.99. (The others are all under $6, I think.) These include authors ranging from Edward Lee (very hardcore) to Richard Laymon (also hardcore) to John Everson.

Does anyone have recommendations of Dorchester horror novels? I've been avoiding Edward Lee for a while because everytime I read a review, it stresses the sex and gore content. But I figured, what the hell (pun intended).

Edited to Add: I tried to search the Kindle store for similar pricing, but I couldn't tell. I was in a horror, I mean hurry, because I was typing this on a little bitty netook in a B&N that is closing soon. My Internetz are down until the new Internetz are installed, oh, and all your base are belong to us.

P.S. Leisure also has a lot of their Westerns available for $2.99 or $3.99 on the nook. These are cheaper than Wal-Mart prices.

00smita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:57 AM   #2
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I'm kind of interested in this, so was wondering if you could post a link or something to some Dorchester Horror stuff
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
jumpingjack42
DiSpLaCeD
jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!jumpingjack42 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle 2
I don't know if they still have his books listed but Brian Keene's stuff is really good.
He has moved to Deadite Press (http://www.deaditepress.com) though so they might not be available at the moment.
jumpingjack42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:51 AM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Dorchester has been not paying its authors, and several of them are calling for a boycott. They've also been putting up ebooks that they don't have the rights to--this is the real book piracy, the kind that copyright law was designed to counteract. Brian Keene says:
Quote:
Since January of this year, unauthorized digital editions of my work have been sold via Kindle, Nook, iBooks, and Sony. These digital editions were not made available for sale until well after the rights had reverted back to me. Dorchester’s response, in each case, has been to blame someone else and assure me that “they are looking into it” and that I would be “financially compensated” and that “it wouldn’t happen again”. Except that I haven’t been financially compensated and it keeps happening again.
His post goes into details, with links to more posts, and a list of authors who are supporting the boycott.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #5
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Dorchester has been not paying its authors, and several of them are calling for a boycott. They've also been putting up ebooks that they don't have the rights to--this is the real book piracy, the kind that copyright law was designed to counteract. Brian Keene says:

His post goes into details, with links to more posts, and a list of authors who are supporting the boycott.
Thank you for posting this. It sucks to see this happen to those authors. It stinks that I bought so many of their books but they didn't get any money.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote