Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
seacity1
Zealot
seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.

Device: Samsung Galaxy 10.1 2014 Edition,Nook HD+, Nook Color, Nook ST & Ipad3
Moving my library to a new Windows 8 Computer

I just finished trying to move all of my files from my old computer running Vista to a new one with Windows 8. I used the Microsoft Easy Transfer program via cable to move it. It moved everything EXCEPT my Calibre library! The library is the first folder under my user name on the C drive. When I go to "Advanced" to customize the move it won't let me select the Calibre folder. Apparently it needs to be under documents to be moved. The current location was the default setting when I first installed Windows.

Does anyone have a suggestion? The library is almost 30gigs. Should I try copying it to Documents on my old computer & try moving it that way? Help!!
seacity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by seacity1 View Post
I just finished trying to move all of my files from my old computer running Vista to a new one with Windows 8. I used the Microsoft Easy Transfer program via cable to move it. It moved everything EXCEPT my Calibre library! The library is the first folder under my user name on the C drive. When I go to "Advanced" to customize the move it won't let me select the Calibre folder. Apparently it needs to be under documents to be moved. The current location was the default setting when I first installed Windows.

Does anyone have a suggestion? The library is almost 30gigs. Should I try copying it to Documents on my old computer & try moving it that way? Help!!
Copy the ENTRIRE library folder to where ever you want (full rights needed)
IF you have already installed Calibre (the program), simply replace the ENTIRE contents with the contents of the old folder.
Calibre MUST be not running (either place)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If you have both computers attached to a network you should be able to copy the library via the network with no problems.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
If you have both computers attached to a network you should be able to copy the library via the network with no problems.
30G! over the network

Wouldn't they need a dual fibre channel to get that done?

Old 03-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Nope Sure might take a bit of time but would be far quicker than via a USB 2 connection I bet (which is what the cable is likely to be).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #6
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
This might be a very good opportunity to verify that the backup system you use for your valuable calibre library works as intended. And possibly adapt it to win8.

Just restore a recent backup copy of the calibre library from the old computer to the new computer.

If you don't have a backup system, then you should consider getting one. Perhaps an external hard drive attached via USB? Preferably two for extra safety.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Nope Sure might take a bit of time but would be far quicker than via a USB 2 connection I bet (which is what the cable is likely to be).
I have a few , now obsolete because no parallel ports on many new machines, Laplink cables, free if someone will pay the post

Never used a USB between computers as every room (except the baths) has at least one 10/100 wired network port
Old 03-23-2013, 11:14 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Calibre doesn't care where its libraries are - as long as they are not on a network drive or in the cloud, it'll work fine where ever they are - some folks keep their libraries on flash drives.

Could be a permissions roadblock - try giving Full Control of the Calibre folder to Everyone via Properties->Security tab.

If it were me I'd whip the drive out of the old computer - stick it in a USB drive enclosure, plug the enclosure into the power and new computer and copy the folders and files. If the computer is new it quite likely has USB 3.0 - newegg have Thermaltake USB 3.0 enclosures for USD50.00. 30G shouldn't take more than 15mins on USB 3.0.

And you'd then have the beginnings of a decent backup facility.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-23-2013 at 11:30 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
Goldie112299
Goldie112299 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle HD
I copied my library from my Vista laptop onto an external drive and pasted into my Windows 8. The books copied over but all of my meta data (that I downloaded for each of my 1300 books!!!!) was gone! All of my series info, gone!

I am trying to figure out what went wrong and trying to fix it.....
Goldie112299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #10
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
The metadata is not stored in the books, but in the database. The library, books and database, must be copied together. And after that opened as a library.

Should be possible to attach the external drive and open the calibre library on it as a calibre library, complete with all metadata like series information. That is what I mean by verifying that the backup works.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie112299 View Post
I copied my library from my Vista laptop onto an external drive and pasted into my Windows 8. The books copied over but all of my meta data (that I downloaded for each of my 1300 books!!!!) was gone! All of my series info, gone!

I am trying to figure out what went wrong and trying to fix it.....
You did not follow the PRECISE steps above: you only copied the Folders inside the Library folder.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:27 PM   #12
seacity1
Zealot
seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.seacity1 invented the internet.

Device: Samsung Galaxy 10.1 2014 Edition,Nook HD+, Nook Color, Nook ST & Ipad3
With MS Easy File Transfer everything must be in Documents or it won't copy over. It took me over an hour and a half just to copy the Calibre folder over to documents on the old computer. When I did a 2nd pass transfer I used the advanced option & unchecked everything I had already copied. It took another 2 hrs to move that one folder to the new computer. I used an Easy Transfer cable but there is no way I would have attempted to do this over a network. My backup in a "Click Free drive & it won't let you change the file location so I didn't even attempt to use it. Since I made the move the only thing I have noticed is that the search function in Calibre seems a little screwed up. A lot shows up that bears no relationship to the search term.
seacity1 is offline   Reply With Quote