Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #16
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
I notice them when they're awkwardly placed or too frequently used. I use them, myself, from time to time, but I agree with the notion that they should be "punchy." Overly used, they stop being punchy.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:38 AM   #17
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I notice most broken rules when they used too often. I appreciate it when it adds something, done artistically. Cormac McCarthy, I'm looking at you.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:50 PM   #18
Under the Covers
Night Reader
Under the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Where I think it's not great:
She was the one that had let them down with her rush to publish. With her overwhelming need for recognition

Where I think it's ok:
The door flew open and there he stood. Tek. No smile today. All business.
I agree with you. Fragments become tiring to read. When I'm reading good writing, I'm completely swept up and lost in the writer's created world, but when I encounter a fragment such as in your first example, it jolts me out of that world while I re-read it to make sure I haven't misread it.

Writing, while self-expression for the author, is ultimately an experience for the readers. The whole point is for the readers to grasp the meaning at first read. If the author is set on following a personal set of rules of the road, the readers often end up having to re-read sections just to understand the basic "sentence." At that point, the author's self-expression becomes a tad narcissistic.
Under the Covers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:28 PM   #19
meromana
Zealot
meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: my laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Under the Covers View Post
I agree with you. Fragments become tiring to read.
Exactly. Several of you have made that point--when they're "punchy" and unexpected, fragments work; when they're used in excess, it's painful and tedious. Sorry, but I think the "Bleak House" paragraphs are an example of just that: overuse of fragments. Intense overuse. To me, it became a long, tiresome list, rather than an entertaining, varied description, punctuated by pithy fragments. Just MHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque
"She was the one that had let them down with her rush to publish. Her need for recognition. Her desire for revenge against Daddy. She let them all down and they would all suffer."
Now this, on the other hand, was a well-balanced mix. Much better than the original...again, IMHO.

--Maria
meromana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:58 PM   #20
Under the Covers
Night Reader
Under the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque
"She was the one that had let them down with her rush to publish. Her need for recognition. Her desire for revenge against Daddy. She let them all down and they would all suffer."
Now to get people to say/write "the one WHO . . ." since it's a person, not a thing.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:07 AM   #21
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Now to get people to say/write "the one WHO . . ." since it's a person, not a thing.
Good point. I missed that on my rewrite!
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:10 AM   #22
Under the Covers
Night Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
Good point. I missed that on my rewrite!
Karma for being such a good sport -- I certainly didn't mean to offend you -- it's just one of those things I've been running into a lot lately and correcting.

I guess it also irritates me a bit because we have been objectified and turned over time from "people" into "consumers" -- picture little Pac-Man game images -- and on into "things" now with our language.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:27 AM   #23
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Karma for being such a good sport -- I certainly didn't mean to offend you -- it's just one of those things I've been running into a lot lately and correcting.
Aww, thanks - but I certainly wasn't offended. A bit irritated at myself for missing that point (I edit and write manuals for a living), but then it occurred to me that I wasn't focusing on fixing the whole text, just displaying MY idea of OK sentence fragments.

Quote:
I guess it also irritates me a bit because we have been objectified and turned over time from "people" into "consumers" -- picture little Pac-Man game images -- and on into "things" now with our language.
Something I noticeably shudder at (I know because my manager's noticed it) is 'resources', as in, "we'll need to put a couple more resources onto the project." NO!!! PEOPLE, goshdarnit all to heck and may Phil, the Lord of Insufficient Light, smack your botty with his spoon for all eternity, you dehumanising piece of vomit!!!!

Ahem. Sentence fragments?
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:46 PM   #24
Under the Covers
Night Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
Something I noticeably shudder at (I know because my manager's noticed it) is 'resources', as in, "we'll need to put a couple more resources onto the project." NO!!! PEOPLE, goshdarnit all to heck and may Phil, the Lord of Insufficient Light, smack your botty with his spoon for all eternity, you dehumanising piece of vomit!!!!

Ahem. Sentence fragments?

Ah, yes. Sentence fragments. Back on topic. Detour over.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:04 PM   #25
JwkOKC
Enthusiast
JwkOKC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JwkOKC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JwkOKC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JwkOKC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JwkOKC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JwkOKC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JwkOKC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JwkOKC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JwkOKC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JwkOKC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JwkOKC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Reed View Post
I have used sentence fragments to show that a character's thoughts are jumbled, or the character is in shock. It can be effective, but you have to follow the rules most of the time so breaking them is effective.
I'm a very latecomer to this thread, but these two sentences triggered a memory for me.

Long long ago in a place that's far, far away, I aced a freshman English composition class intended to teach us the rules for clear writing. The instructor's plan, announced during the initial class session, was to assign us one specific rule each week, such as "avoid repetition" for example, and we were to write a 500-word theme illustrating same.

At the end of the session I buttonholed the graduate student serving as our instructor, and declared my intention to illustrate each rule by blatantly violating it. "An ambitious effort, Mister Kyle," he replied, " but I'll respect it. If you're successful you'll get an A; if not, you'll fail. There'll be no in between."

I thanked him and proceeded to carry it out. Every paper got the A, as did my end of term mark. It was quite an effort, of which I was somewhat arrogantly proud.

The following year my girl friend, also a journalism student, asked to copy my work in order to get her own good grade in the required course. Unfortunately she had a different instructor, didn't inform him of the plan in advance, and made a few small "corrections" in the text to make it a bit closer to the rule.

She flunked, of course.

My point? One should never violate the rules by accident -- which means that you must know them, before deciding to do so. And to be effective, you can't do it too frequently.

Sorta like Lord Chesterfield's advice to his son, to not insult anyone accidentally.
JwkOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:36 PM   #26
Historiann
Connoisseur
Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW
It's interesting that this topic should be raised today as just last night I started reading a nonfiction book in which the author uses sentence fragments. Repeatedly. Multiple times on every page. Indeed, she uses them to such an extent that she just appears lazy, as if she decided it was too much trouble to convert her research notes into coherent, elegant sentences. It's the first time I've encountered sentence fragments as a defining characteristic of an author's style. Is this becoming more common in both fiction and nonfiction?
Historiann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 02:26 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JwkOKC View Post
The following year my girl friend, also a journalism student, asked to copy my work in order to get her own good grade in the required course.
Did your college not have a prohibition on plagiarism? Most colleges and universities are pretty clear that it's not permitted.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 03:47 AM   #28
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Did your college not have a prohibition on plagiarism? Most colleges and universities are pretty clear that it's not permitted.
In this case it seems that the plagiarism carried its own punishment.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 03:52 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
In this case it seems that the plagiarism carried its own punishment.
Very true!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 04:31 AM   #30
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
We don't call it plagiarism. We call it research.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote