Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-03-2011, 06:05 AM   #1
bigmandan
bigmandan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
USB Transfer Speed

Has anyone else had USB speed issues with their Kobo Touch ? I cannot seem to get over 1MB/s when plugged into a USB 2 or 3 port. Is the flash memory just slow or could their be something wrong with my device?

I have tried other computers with the same result. Other USB mass storage devices on my computer perform much faster, so I do not think I am having a hardware/driver issue.

TIA for any input on this matter.
bigmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
know-one
Connoisseur
know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kOBO
Hi,

How are you?

It's very difficult what you mean by "slow" and by "speed".
Once I was downloading several things at once - one of them being the entire run of Action Comics (Superman comic books) onto my 16g (or is it 14g) memory.
The computer told me it would take like 173 hours - but that was because it was downloading other stuff too. When it finally finished the other stuff - it only took minutes.

When I know I will download - I make sure I have something else to do. Otherwise - it seems even longer than it is. I never wait for downloads.

Then again, your Kobo could be faulty too...

Best of luck.
know-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
bigmandan

What I mean by transfer speed is bytes per second while copying files over. Older versions of Windows did not show this, but in Win 7 it does when you click the details button on the file transfer dialog box. Other operating systems show this sometimes as well.

I just find that 700KiB/s - 1MiB/s seems kind of slow. Not a big deal when you are copying text, but annoying when copying PDF's or other file types.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #4
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmandan View Post
What I mean by transfer speed is bytes per second while copying files over. Older versions of Windows did not show this, but in Win 7 it does when you click the details button on the file transfer dialog box. Other operating systems show this sometimes as well.

I just find that 700KiB/s - 1MiB/s seems kind of slow. Not a big deal when you are copying text, but annoying when copying PDF's or other file types.
Hmm I usually just use calibre to push my books over. But in the past I have noticed that when I transfer Some files over to usb stick such as movies if I have a large number the speed does seem to drop. I found that turning off my virus scanner tends to speed things along

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #5
Toastedpine
Connoisseur
Toastedpine doesn't litterToastedpine doesn't litter

I'm getting around the same rates. I had a steady gradual climb to 1MB/s for a 130MB file, which suggests that there are a lot of checks in the protocol that transfers data to the main memory. A workaround is to format a micro SD with fat32, and load books through the reader's card reader. I haven't pushed it, but I got all the way to 2.45MB/s before my file finished transferring.

It might also be a good idea to make sure the Kobo desktop app is installed on the computer you're using. I think I saw the Kobo desktop app copy drivers during the install. I doubt this'll make much of a difference in this case, but it never hurts to try.
Toastedpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2011, 08:42 AM   #6
bigmandan

I have the kobo desktop installed on my desktop at home and not on my PC at work. I get around the same speeds, so this is likely hardware related.

It could be that the built in storage uses a slower flash module. This kind of makes sense from a power savings perspective, but I have no real evidence of this. I'll have to took into getting a microSDHC card though.