Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #1
paulpod
paulpod began at the beginning.

Device: none
annotations

so i have been reading a couple of papers on my kindle and have added a few annotations.
ive noticed that they get added to 'my clippings' on the home screen, but is there a way to get these annotations off the kindle onto my pc in a word doc or something similar?

cheers
paulpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Kindle keeps annotations on the internet

The easiest way is to go here:

https://kindle.amazon.com/your_reading

Sign in and you can copy and review all hour highlights and notes there. You can copy and paste to any other documents.

You can also copy the Clippings file to your PC via a USB connection but that is far more trouble.

As one reads and finishes more books, try their Daily Review. It's use is described by Amazon as follows:

"Daily Review is a tool to help you review and remember the most significant ideas from your books. It shows you flashcards with either your highlights and notes or the Popular Highlights from one of your books.

Only books that you have marked as "read" are eligible for review, and Daily Review will take you through all of your read books, one per day.

The periodic review of ideas makes it easier to remember them. This works better if you space the reviews over increasing time intervals, a "Spacing Effect" that was first identified by German psychologist Hermann Ebbinghaus. Depending on how many books you have marked as "read", you will see a particular book again in the Daily Review in roughly 1 week, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, and thereafter annually. You’re not limited to reviewing only one book per day; at the bottom of the flashcard you can select "Review another book".

That concept alone makes the Kindle WiFi a daring break through on how we read and remember what we read.

Last edited by sirmaru; 01-04-2011 at 01:11 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
paulpod
paulpod began at the beginning.

Device: none
awesome thanks for that, for my purposes i think accessing it through the usb is best

cheers
paulpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
The easiest way is to go here:

https://kindle.amazon.com/your_reading

Sign in and you can copy and review all hour highlights and notes there. You can copy and paste to any other documents.

kindle.amazon.com only tracks annotations with books purchased from Amazon. I believe the question here concerns annotation of 'papers', i.e. personal documents. So that leaves 'My Clippings.txt' as the main way of extracting the annotations for re-use with a word doc, etc. There are definitely limitations to doing so, for example, annotations for a given document may be sprinkled throughout the My Clippings file, and if you delete an annotation, no record of the deletion is tracked.

Another mechanism that is available is the ability to capture screen images using Shift+Alt+g. For example, you can open the book, 'View My Notes & Marks' and take screen captures of each page of these. Copy/move these to your computer and you can view them there. If you have an OCR program, you can extract text from the screen captures so you don't need to retype.

None of this is particularly convenient. I would like to see an 'export notes' function that would dump the current notes for a particular book to a text file. It would be easier to work with that way, and even better, if there were a way to email that file from Kindle to yourself or someone else. However, Amazon doesn't seem to implement all of my suggestions.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote