Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 02-10-2010, 08:26 PM   #46
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
Actually, I referred to Dorsey, not Barry. But, I agree, Dave Barry is great and writes in the same madcap style. Hiaasen , Dorsey, and Barry all Fla newspaper columnists who went on to more lucrative writing. I believe Barry and Hiaasen were at the same paper, The Miami Herald.
My bad. I am a fan of Dorsey's too, although I haven't read his latest, "Gator a Go Go" yet. He is another one who creates amazingly larger than life yet "Hey, I know somebody like that" (if maybe a bit less dangerous) sorts of characters.

Thanks again for the nice words!

Alan
plumboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #47
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks!

Thanks to the folks who have picked up Boomerang lately, whether through Smashwords with the coupon, Amazon, B&N or ordering copies I scribble in before sending out.

Thank you very much!

Old 02-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #48
plumboz
Novelist

Two weeks left on the Smashwords coupon. CC73Z.

Just thought I'd mention it.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:40 AM   #49
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
I just finished Boomerang last night. I found it quite amusing; not "laugh-out-loud," but rather "smile-and-smirk." Well worth the time spent. I'll be putting some $$ into the author's hands (whether through Smashwords or some other mechanism, I'm not sure).

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #50
plumboz
Novelist

Hi Xenophon,

Thanks so much for the kind words. It is wonderful to hear when someone has enjoyed Boomerang.

May I assume that Boomerang's jump in the Amazon rankings early today was courtesy of a certain distinguished MR curmudgeon?

Alan

Last edited by plumboz; 02-17-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:02 PM   #51
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Not if that assumption is based on my having done anything more than the post above. Otherwise, assume away! (No skin off my nose...)

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:29 PM   #52
plumboz
Novelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Not if that assumption is based on my having done anything more than the post above. Otherwise, assume away! (No skin off my nose...)

Xenophon
Well said. Upholding the Code of the Curmudgeons in fine fashion.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:07 PM   #53
plumboz
Novelist

Hi everyone,

This is how a Harper Collins UK editor described Boomerang in a slightly earlier incarnation I posted on their authonomy site after the opening chapters received one of the first Editors Desk awards.

This is clearly a fun and light-hearted romp of a mystery story, full of adventure and humor. The author shows skill in crafting a sentence as well as creating developed, well-rounded characters. The story is madcap and crazy plot twists keep the reader turning the pages. It has a nice international feel, with lots of locations that would appeal to a wide audience, and lots of “hooks” for publicity or marketing to use, such as the jazz angle, or the smuggling angle, or the political angle, etc. These kind of hooks are important if you want a book to really succeed in the marketplace, and here the author certainly covers plenty of bases.

'Course, for reasons defying all logic, H/C didn't pick it up, which actually turns out to be a good thing, since they would be charging a whole lot more than I do. Just $1.99 through Amazon, B&N or Smashwords. And the half price coupon at Smashwords is good through the end of February.

Update: To "celebrate" the imminent demise of the paperback edition (it isn't gone yet, but I've been notified by the publisher that unless I pay an annual fee they are yanking it off the market soon, bless their hearts) we're bringing back the half price coupon on the ebook edition. So, now through April 30, 2010, get Boomerang for ninety-nine cents at Smashwords.

Coupon code: HK56J

Just follow the Smashwords link in my signature line.

Last edited by plumboz; 03-05-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:07 AM   #54
plumboz
Novelist

One Week Left On Half price Offer

We are officially one week from the expiration of the half price offer for Boomerang on Smashwords. Coupon code CC73Z. I won't be bugging you with these commercial messages after Feb. 28.

Thanks to everyone here who has already gotten a copy.

Best,
Alan
Old 02-21-2010, 02:36 AM   #55
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
I bought a copy from amazon, which means I paid a whole $2 instead of $1 through Smashwords.

Thank you for enabling TTS .
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:37 AM   #56
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
edit: Did I read a previous post right? Is that your real picture in your avatar? It doesn't discourage me from buying it at all.
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:45 AM   #57
plumboz
Novelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen Morse View Post
edit: Did I read a previous post right? Is that your real picture in your avatar? It doesn't discourage me from buying it at all.
Hi Gwen,

Yep, that's my mug. You are very kind to find it non-offputting, as it were. I know it's not usual practice to flash an actual picture of oneself on these MBs, but as a photographer of long standing I do self portraits every once in a while. It's a break from scenery and still lifes.

Thanks for buying Boomerang. I hope you don't regret the investment. Oh, and what is TTS? Showing my ignorance once again.

Best,
Alan
Old 02-21-2010, 12:05 PM   #58
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
plumboz, I joined MR after you changed your picture, and I also bought Boomerang full price (I didn't check this forum first!). I haven't started it yet but just know your picture didn't have any effect on whether or not I bought the book... the description and the reviews sold it.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:36 PM   #59
plumboz
Novelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
plumboz, I joined MR after you changed your picture, and I also bought Boomerang full price (I didn't check this forum first!). I haven't started it yet but just know your picture didn't have any effect on whether or not I bought the book... the description and the reviews sold it.
Thank you very much!

The family is now off to the movies. Perhaps appropriately enough, we are going to see Avatar. In 3D.

Alan
Old 02-22-2010, 08:09 AM   #60
plumboz
Novelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen Morse View Post
I bought a copy from amazon, which means I paid a whole $2 instead of $1 through Smashwords.

Thank you for enabling TTS .
Ah, Text-to-speech! Right?

May I ask how you accomplish that?

Once again the middle aged Luddite reveals his true colors. But I'm working on shrinking my digital ignorance. Places like MR do help.

Alan

Tags
amazon, barnes and noble, boomerang, comic novel, smashwords