Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #181
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebl View Post
the version of Oaxis I have (EB-601) supports unDRM-ed .mobi and adobe DRM / ADEPT

sorry if this turns to be kinda' off-topic

more on topic - does anyone know by chance a retail shop where I could see (and touch ) an Orizon in Milan?
Have a look here ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:49 AM   #182
rebl
r.eads e.njoys b.ooks lol
rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Thanks Geoff.
A lot of the listed retail chains have no shop in Milan, although they do have in Milan's region.
I did find a few in Milan (MarcoPolo Expert) but I started this search backwards (from the last shops to first in the list) and I kinda lost my patience meanwhile. I didn't reach bow.it (mentioned on another thread), Feltrinelli and MediaWorld. Anyway, I'm only staying two days there.
Meanwhile I managed to see today an Orizon in my country (somewhere in the outskirts of the Galaxy...err... Europe ).
The case seems very well built (is that good quality plastic or metal? I'm not sure - EDIT: plastic, according to this: http://www.ebookanoid.com/2010/09/28...cybook-orizon/).
The display is readable, but for with a little lower contrast than eInk (I had an eInk device side by side). I wouldn't say it's easier to read than eink, like the review mentioned above writes, but indeed the covers seemed to have a little better qulity (that, or the pictures had different resolution in the the devices I compared )
My biggest concern was that on some review (sipix vs eink) the reviewer wrote that the background is more grayish (which is true) and the font is less black - which I wans't sure because in other review I read the black on sipix is a little "blacker". And indeed, the black is blacker (let's say 5% blacker) while the background is darker (like 10-15% darker).
Overall, the contrast is lower but still readable - in the end, you still need a light source anyway.
The speed is ok-ish but could be better (no difference to the eink device - that depends of course on the CPU, too). The touchscreen is not always responsive when turing page (a few times my finger slide was not detected) but I can live with that (I'm sure I'll use the D-pad anyway for page turns).
Nice device, elegant, well built, a little too expensive for its features IMHO, too bad the display is not eInk.

Last Edit and sorry for the long post: Next week I'm gonna have my Orizon delivered (hopefully). I'll be back

Last edited by rebl; 04-30-2011 at 06:56 AM.
rebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:04 AM   #183
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
The Orizon is not e-ink? What is it then?
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:02 AM   #184
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
The Orizon is not e-ink? What is it then?
eInk is a process and a company name, people generally mix eInk and ePaper, eink an epaper technology, but epaper is not necessarily eInk.

The Orizon is Sipix ePaper Technology
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:13 AM   #185
rebl
rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

sipix vs eink
this is the review that got me worried:
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...gies-compared/

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/SiPix
(please note that the information on the wiki is -as far as I think- a QUOTE from the advertising material and not an actual/impartial review)
Specifically, I'm saying the above reffering to:
Advantages
* Eye-Catching Readability: High contrast & reflectivity
* Wide viewing angle: ~180°
* Multiple monochromatic choices: Black, red, green, blue, gold
* Ultra-low Power: Bistable, Low switching power
* Large Form factor: Custom sizes from 11"-wide e-paper Roll
* Flexible e-Paper: < 2 cm bending radius
* Durable: No glass, endures > 1290 PSI (The current AUO manufactured touch screen devices have a glass backing)
* Lightweight: 22.5 mg/cm^2 (film only)

I can understand it MIGHT be lighter and more durable, but for CERTAIN its readability it's not better than eink's; I mean... high constrast? who draws the line where "high" starts? if sipix has high contrast than EINK has ULTRA-high ...
Old 04-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #186
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Glad you've been able to look at one ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:26 AM   #187
rebl

This is just to let you people know that I've got my Orizon already (the second one, actually, because the first one had an defective "Up" button and got it replaced next day).
I'm content with the quality case, which is nice, really thin and solid built, although the defective button out of the box is quite strange (the box was sealed).
The contrast of the display is so-so, less than eInk but readable if sufficient light is available.
The rest if fine (touch, accelerometer) but not really interesting for me.
I didn't had much time to play with it, because I'm still struggling to organize my book collection, but I've loaded a few fonts and a few epubs converted from calibre and was a little dissapointed by the quality of conversion (some incorrect unicode characters - but this not the Orizon's fault).

I am just curious, how can we change the powered-off cover pictures? I've seen a pictures folder in the directory structure, but that folder does not contain the pictures used for the cover when the device is off (I mean the pictures of Hugo - or is it Jules Verne?- or the one with the ophtalmologist's Snellen chart - I hope you know what you mean)...
Old 05-12-2011, 09:03 AM   #188
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
You currently can't changes the sleep pictures. The "picture" folder is where to put your own pictures to display them using the library.
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #189
rebl

Hi people,

Has anyone of you had problems with the Orizon housing?
I've traveled only a few times (5-6 times maybe) with my Orizon (and only 2 times for longer trips). When I was not holding it in my hand it always stayed in my bag, inside its neoprene sleeve and for a few longer trips it was also wrapped in plastic bubbles bag. The bag hasn't been exposed to mechanical shocks, hasn't been dropped on the floor or similar.
Needles to say, I had never dropped the Orizon.
And yet, a crack appeared on the silver strip of plastic that connects the upper housing (black in my case) with the lower housing (white), just near the power on button. This plastic strip, about 2 millimeters wide, seems to be quite thin. I thought maybe it cracked because I have strong fingers and the crack is near the power button, but after two days of minimal manipulation of the device, a new crack appeared, also on the silver strip but on the opposite upper corner. Luckily, the device still had almost 2 months of the warranty time (which is only 1 year) and I managed to get a replacement (explaining and showing that the device was not dropped on the floor), but now I am very worried it will happen again.
Maybe I should try using the ebook reader without touching it? But how?
Old 02-29-2012, 09:59 AM   #190
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Add two locks of red hair from a distressed damsel, 2 slices of pigs feet from Okinawa, the blood of a Saber-tooth tiger, and 1 magic carpet. Carefully, mince the above ingredients...sans magic carpet....swallow... remove shoes... sit on carpet ....float.... focus energy on buttons or stylus operations using brain waves...IF this fails send in device before warranty expires.....claim ignorance..
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #191
rebl

huh ?
Old 02-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #192
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebl View Post
huh ?
If your reader is so fragile that you can't even hold it...return it and get something more sturdy.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:32 AM   #193
rebl

well, yeah.. but its a litlle too late about that.
I was able to exchange it, in warranty time, but with exactly the same model.
Actually this is the THIRD orizon I own. First one had the D-PAD defective out of the box and was replaced the next day. Second one got cracks after 10 months. Now I have the third, brand new. I am just worried (and that's why I am trying to find out from other ORIZON users) if the casing might break again (following only normal usage, not dropping it on the floor or so)...