Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-05-2010, 05:52 PM   #16
CandyNJ66
Enthusiast
CandyNJ66 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I'm really torn about which one to buy. I saw video reviews of the Nook and the e-ink looks VERY crisp and the display looked easier to read. Does anyone have experience with both and could comment?
CandyNJ66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #17
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyNJ66 View Post
I'm really torn about which one to buy. I saw video reviews of the Nook and the e-ink looks VERY crisp and the display looked easier to read. Does anyone have experience with both and could comment?
That's like comparing apples and oranges (one is touch screen). It comes down to what features you want.

Here are some videos of the 900:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9BdwwOGBGc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02lJJU0QIDc
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 06:20 PM   #18
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
I definitely would not buy the Nook, just based on the reviews I've read.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #19
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I definitely would not buy the Nook, just based on the reviews I've read.
It seems to be getting better... although there are still a couple things that make me cringe after using a 505 for two years. :P
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #20
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
A new update (1.2) is rolling out for the nook now which is supposed to make it faster.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 01:07 AM   #21
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I think most of the complaints against the 900's screen are from people with little or no intuition or imagination.
I don't agree with this - what does intuition and imagination have to do with the perception of screen quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
They look at the screen under one lighting condition and judge the 900. NO e-ink screen looks good in low light. Few, if any, look good in the flourescent lighting of department stores. However, if you read in direct sunlight, the screen on the 900 looks fabulous. If you use a good book light for low light reading and position that light appropriately, the 900 screen looks fabulous.
This is true - EPD screens do suffer in low light conditions. I've had an Iliad for a few years now and it's screen quality is up there with the best of them. However, if you try to read it in low lighting conditions, you will be disappointed.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:21 AM   #22
CandyNJ66
Enthusiast

I checked out both the Daily edition and the Nook last night right before the stores closed. I was in a hurry because I knew I couldn't do it today before the huge snowstorm arrived here in Jersey.

Anyway, loved the big size of the Daily edition but wasn't impressed with the screen, noticed glare right away and imho it IS a bit darker than the kindle 2. Why they chose to make it so dark is baffling to me. Overall the design is very nice and the large screen looked super to me.

I then went to see the Nook and noticed the difference in contrast immediately. The text really is more crisp and had none of the darkness that the PRS-900 had. It is very noticeable or it was to me. I don't think the demo had the new 1.2 firmware, I should have asked but anyway, it looked quite nice to me. The only reservations I had was that that the color touchscreen would drain the battery a lot when in use plus the main screen itself wasn't touchscreen but I could live with that especially with the better contrast. Very nice design also and again, I could see that reading books would be more enjoyable because of the better contrast. Sadly it doesn't come with all the extras Sony has.

While the Daily edition looks fantastic, comes with all the extras and is much less restrictive than the Nook, it boils down to the screen itself. If I am going to be reading a lot, I couldn't deal with the glare and the darker screen. The Nook contrast imho is simply not an issue, so I probably will get that. I still have to think about it though. I just wanted to let you guys know.

This is only my opinion, some others might disagree.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:29 AM   #23
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
I checked out both the Daily edition and the Nook last night right before the stores closed. I was in a hurry because I knew I couldn't do it today before the huge snowstorm arrived here in Jersey.

Anyway, loved the big size of the Daily edition but wasn't impressed with the screen, noticed glare right away and imho it IS a bit darker than the kindle 2. Why they chose to make it so dark is baffling to me. Overall the design is very nice and the large screen looked super to me.

I then went to see the Nook and noticed the difference in contrast immediately. The text really is more crisp and had none of the darkness that the PRS-900 had. It is very noticeable or it was to me. I don't think the demo had the new 1.2 firmware, I should have asked but anyway, it looked quite nice to me. The only reservations I had was that that the color touchscreen would drain the battery a lot when in use plus the main screen itself wasn't touchscreen but I could live with that especially with the better contrast. Very nice design also and again, I could see that reading books would be more enjoyable because of the better contrast. Sadly it doesn't come with all the extras Sony has.

While the Daily edition looks fantastic, comes with all the extras and is much less restrictive than the Nook, it boils down to the screen itself. If I am going to be reading a lot, I couldn't deal with the glare and the darker screen. The Nook contrast imho is simply not an issue, so I probably will get that. I still have to think about it though. I just wanted to let you guys know.

This is only my opinion, some others might disagree.
Your opinion is yours. The difference in contrast is obvious, but it's because of the touch screen. Enjoy whichever device you get!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:12 PM   #24
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Anyway, loved the big size of the Daily edition but wasn't impressed with the screen, noticed glare right away and imho it IS a bit darker than the kindle 2.....

Hmmm. Did you actually look at these (kindle/900) side-by-side. I suspect not, but maybe there is a store that has both. I just placed my 900 on top of the kindle and the background of the 900 is definitely brighter white(grey) than my Kindle.

Certainly the touch screen causes a bit of lost contrast, maybe that is what you are really seeing.

One other thing to know is that each E-Ink display is individually adjusted to set the background white level as the device is being manufactured. This can result in different "white" levels on the same models even.

The lighting (in different stores and places) certainly will make a difference as well, that's why the only sure comparison is when you put them directly side-by-side.

In any case please do let us know what you decide and continue to participate in the forum!

Enjoy!

Last edited by kennyc; 02-06-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:35 PM   #25
CandyNJ66
Enthusiast

Kenny, no I didn't What you said about ink levels could very well be the case. The glare on the other hand was absent from what I could see of the Nook. I am just not understanding why Sony couldn't manufacture a less reflective touch screen. I don't want to jump through hoops to read a book comfortably by tilting it at a certain angle etc, the screen should be comfortable to view out of the box. I know no e-reader's screen is good in dark light but the glare and what I saw of the darker ink is disappointing of an e-reader of this price and from Sony itself.

The Nook has lend a book to a friend, free book samples of any book in the store and lower prices. It also has Wifi. These things make a difference to me.

We shall see, I will let you know what I decide. Both seem like fine ebook readers.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #26
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
I am considering going down to Best Buy and getting a Daily Reader. Does anyone know if you can access other e-bookstores through the 3G? I see that it doesn't have WiFi.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:00 PM   #27
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
I am considering going down to Best Buy and getting a Daily Reader. Does anyone know if you can access other e-bookstores through the 3G? I see that it doesn't have WiFi.
As far as I know, you can only access the Sony store via wireless - when you want to load titles from other sources onto it, you'll need to use a USB (cable) connection to a computer.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:04 PM   #28
kennyc

Quote:
Kenny, no I didn't What you said about ink levels could very well be the case. The glare on the other hand was absent from what I could see of the Nook. I am just not understanding why Sony couldn't manufacture a less reflective touch screen. I don't want to jump through hoops to read a book comfortably by tilting it at a certain angle etc, the screen should be comfortable to view out of the box. I know no e-reader's screen is good in dark light but the glare and what I saw of the darker ink is disappointing of an e-reader of this price and from Sony itself.

The Nook has lend a book to a friend, free book samples of any book in the store and lower prices. It also has Wifi. These things make a difference to me.

We shall see, I will let you know what I decide. Both seem like fine ebook readers.
The touch screen is just due to the technology and the glare a combination of that and the eInk (as compared to backlit LCD). There are "touch screens" that are less interfering, but use the Wacom technology and require a stylus.

I've not seen the Nook directly but I suspect is it just the same as a Sony 505 (which does not have the touch screen).

Just an FYI, I don't care much for the Sony 300 (5" screen) either and it is a non-touch screen, but it has a different DPI than the 6" screens.

They all have their good and bad points.

Keep in mind on the "Lending thing" you can only do that once per book.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #29
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
As far as I know, you can only access the Sony store via wireless - when you want to load titles from other sources onto it, you'll need to use a USB (cable) connection to a computer.
True as far a know as well. I used my 900 to log in and register it, but basically haven't used it other than for that. It definitely does not have the experimental web-browsing that is in the Kindle.

I don't care much for the wireless in any case. It's a horrible shopping/browsing experience (whether on sony or kindle). I prefer downloading (and backing up) my purchases by computer and transferring directly or via Calibre.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #30
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
I brought my Sony 505 into a Barnes and Nobel to compare it directly to a Nook. The Nook screen is better, a tad bit whiter, and also with better fonts. Now with a new firmware rev, perhaps the Nook will be considered by more people.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote