Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-22-2009, 12:42 AM   #1
Nitrousoxide
Enthusiast
Nitrousoxide began at the beginning.

Device: None
Anyone else having bad battery drain issues?

My nook is draining at least 2% of it's battery an hour in standby mode. When I'm actually reading with it, it will drain upwards of 10-15% an hour. Surely this can't be right.
Nitrousoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:22 AM   #2
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Apparently the 10 days battery life is with wireless off.... 2 days with wireless on.

Does it improve at all when turning the wireless off?
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
Nitrousoxide
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
Apparently the 10 days battery life is with wireless off.... 2 days with wireless on.

Does it improve at all when turning the wireless off?
Having wifi on was apparently doing the 2% an hour. I turned it off overnight and the power usage dropped from 2% an hour while in sleep mode to .5%. I'll see how much power it uses when I'm reading later today.

It's weird though, wifi should require LESS power than 3g.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
I'm not terribly surprised. Power optimizations for GSM and other cell radios are well known, Google and others work very closely with the network provider to try to get things optimized correctly so a device can last awhile on the network. With WiFi, you are kinda left to your own devices trying to optimize the battery use.

And of course, B&Ns software could also keep the WiFi radio active, preventing it from going to sleep correctly.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:45 AM   #5
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Just noticed it turns WiFi off when starting to read the already downloaded book (not the daily content), but then it switches it on for some reason. For me tho, it switched it one when displaying the message that it's time to recharge the nook otherwise WiFi will be switched off. Go figure.

Last edited by stangri; 12-23-2009 at 06:38 AM.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 08:35 AM   #6
ssbkt
ssbkt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
My nook will just spontaneously turn itself on, it happened just yesterday. It was very quiet at work and the nook was in sleep mode (wallpaper displayed), zipped up in a case and I heard the soft click that you hear when you wake it up. I opened up the case and watched it turn on. This is not the first time I've seen this.
ssbkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:48 AM   #7
ssbkt
ssbkt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
It just happened again, another quiet day at work. I hear the click, unzip the bag and I'm back to the book I was reading.
ssbkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:02 PM   #8
Nitrousoxide
Enthusiast

Yeah, I've found airplane mode is pretty much required unless you're going to be browsing the store. It will barely drop 1%, if that, over night while in sleep mode if it's in airplane mode. I'm going to keep it in that mode unless i need to use the radio for some reason.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:31 AM   #9
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
I never let my charge go much under 50% and I have to recharge every other day.

I keep wifi off and it airplane mode most of the time also.

Hopefully there will be an update of some sort to help with the power consumption; however it is still much better than my hour and an half on my Netbook....
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 07:43 PM   #10
Copynik
Copynik began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Yes Airplane Mode on and WiFi off are necessary to really keep the drain down. I wish B&N had just told us that from the start. Because of this issue (my battery drained almost immediately), they have me on the list for a "Rapid Return" and claim they are sending me a new nook. I don't want it! Now that I've gotten the software upgrade and know to keep the nook on Airplane mode, I am beyond pleased with it. I don't want to risk getting a new one. But their Tech Support dept seems to be so overwhelmed I doubt I will get through to change the course of this.
Copynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:13 AM   #11
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
Wow, my Kindle lasts several weeks. Wonder if the nook will get to that point one day?
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote