Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Does lack of SD card support effect you're buying of the Nexus 7?
Yes, I'm not buying because of this. 101 41.91%
No, not a problem at all. 61 25.31%
I'm buying the 16GB because of this. 34 14.11%
I'm not in the market for a tablet, but I like to vote. 45 18.67%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #106
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Meh, an ethernet port is maybe a good emergency fallback in case a router dies, but optical drives are basically obsolete. Both the drives and the associated media take up a lot of space, as well as generating noise and heat in operation and being extremely prone to failure. Many people rip them out of older Macbooks to install additional hard drives or SSDs. Even for a desktop machine, it makes more sense to keep an external drive boxed in a closet for occasional use.
I rarely use the DVD drive on my PC. I'm finding that, as times passes, I'm using less features. My computer usage now is mostly net surfing, so my current PC is overkill and way too large. I want something tiny and simple, so my next computer is going to be a Chromebox; once the prices drop.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #107
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I believe the point was not that it isn't supported (we all seem to know that) but that Google has not ruled out support in the future by specifically listing it as unsupported in the manual. For those that are so inclined, root has been achieved and Stick Mount works for attaching things like SD cards and USB flashdrives. Not for direct play of videos and music at this point, but for file transfers on to the device.
That wasn't the point, but then again the discussion has drifted.

Technically, almost anything is possible, but when we're comparing devices WITH SD card slots vs. those without a slot but with USB hosting, out-of-the-box support is the important factor.

I find it interesting that Apple got blasted(deservedly so) for not providing an SD card slot in the iPad, even though the iPad could be jailbroken and software installed to support USB storage media.... and yet Google produces a tablet without an SD card slot and somehow it's no big deal because the tablet can be rooted and custom software installed.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #108
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I find it interesting that Apple got blasted(deservedly so) for not providing an SD card slot in the iPad, even though the iPad could be jailbroken and software installed to support USB storage media....
I don't think you need to jailbreak the iPad to get USB mass storage. I think you can get official support by buying the camera connection kit.

Quote:
Google produces a tablet without an SD card slot and somehow it's no big deal because the tablet can be rooted and custom software installed.
Nah. The reason it's not as big a deal is because Google's tablet only costs $200. Same price as the Kindle Fire but comes with a whole lot more hardware (quad-core CPU, 1280x800 px display, front-facing camera, GPS, etc). At this price point, lack of an SD card slot is disappointing but not exactly something to rake Google over the coals.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 07-02-2012 at 12:13 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #109
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I find it interesting that Apple got blasted(deservedly so) for not providing an SD card slot in the iPad, even though the iPad could be jailbroken and software installed to support USB storage media.... and yet Google produces a tablet without an SD card slot and somehow it's no big deal because the tablet can be rooted and custom software installed.
It's a big deal for quite a few of us on this board. We're blasting Google for leaving it out and trying to force us into their ecosystem.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #110
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I don't think you need to jailbreak the iPad to get USB mass storage. I think you can get official support by buying the camera connection kit.
Dongles
Advert
Old 07-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #111
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Nah. The reason it's not as big a deal is because Google's tablet only costs $200. Same price as the Kindle Fire but comes with a whole lot more hardware (quad-core CPU, 1280x800 px display, front-facing camera, GPS, etc). At this price point, lack of an SD card slot is disappointing but not exactly something to rake Google over the coals.
I'll rake them over the coals for it. As is, it's a deal breaker. No matter how good the hardware is, a tablet without content and no WiFi nearby is worthless.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #112
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'll rake them over the coals for it. As is, it's a deal breaker. No matter how good the hardware is, a tablet without content and no WiFi nearby is worthless.
At least, though, with Android the buyer has the choice: buy a tablet with an SD slot or without, the choice is yours. The tablet I have, for example, the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, gives you an SD card and TV output for $50 more than the price of the Nexus.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #113
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
At least, though, with Android the buyer has the choice: buy a tablet with an SD slot or without, the choice is yours. The tablet I have, for example, the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, gives you an SD card and TV output for $50 more than the price of the Nexus.
That's true. Samsung should be pleased that Google hamstrung the Nexus 7.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #114
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Dongles
That word always make me giggle.
I'm such a nasty dirty girl.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #115
heySkippy
Groupie
heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Just want to point out that it is only the retina screen model that doesn't have the optical drive and you need a dongle to plug in an ethernet cable. The other models still have those features.
The new MBP/R is too thin for an Ethernet port or optical drive. If you want thin and light then all that giant legacy baggage has to be left behind in favor of smaller, more versatile alternatives.

I've got one on the way and I'm pretty sure I'll never buy the Ethernet dongle to go with it. I can't remember the last time I plugged in to the jack on my current MBP.

I was sure I would want USB & SD for my iPad, so I bought the camera kit and it was a waste of money. I used the dongles a couple times out of curiosity and then never got them out again.

I know there are people in the world who simply must have an SD slot or a real USB jack or an Ethernet port or a built-in optical drive. Many of them are posting in this very thread. I'm not one of those people, though, and I think the large majority are like me and ready to move forward rather than insisting on clinging to the relics of the past.
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #116
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
I know there are people in the world who simply must have an SD slot or a real USB jack or an Ethernet port or a built-in optical drive. Many of them are posting in this very thread. I'm not one of those people, though, and I think the large majority are like me and ready to move forward rather than insisting on clinging to the relics of the past.
I'd move forward too and ditch the so-called "SD card relic", but for one problem. How do I access 32GB of content on a tablet with less than 6GB available and no WiFi anywhere in sight?

The cloud is nice; but right now, it's severely restricted because WiFi isn't universally available everywhere in the country. I'll welcome the cloud the day WiFi becomes available in the Hoh Rain Forest.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #117
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
Removing the SD card slot is taking a huge step backwards no doubt. How about two or even three micro-SDHC card slots? That would be moving forward...
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #118
heySkippy
Groupie
heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
2 or 3 card slots? As price sensitive as the market is these days, that's never going to happen.
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #119
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Well, I am in the minority here. I have a N7 pre-ordered and the lack of an SD slot is not a problem as I once thought it would be, after spending time with my Fire. I have a 500GB GoFlex that is my preference for storing/streaming/sharing data amongst several devices.

I am really looking forward to getting my hands on the Nexus.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #120
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I'm surprised at how many people who voted that's it's a deal breaker have bought Kindle Fires.

Last edited by The Terminator; 07-02-2012 at 10:34 PM. Reason: I didn't know NC's had SD card support.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote