Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
CarolynBG
Enthusiast
CarolynBG has become one with the cosmosCarolynBG has become one with the cosmosCarolynBG has become one with the cosmosCarolynBG has become one with the cosmosCarolynBG has become one with the cosmosCarolynBG has become one with the cosmosCarolynBG has become one with the cosmosCarolynBG has become one with the cosmosCarolynBG has become one with the cosmosCarolynBG has become one with the cosmosCarolynBG has become one with the cosmos

Device: Nook, iPad, iPod, mac computer, various eReader apps on iPad and iPod
Dictionary on side-loaded books?

I'm in the middle of acquiring a bunch of books for kids for the study I'm about to start in a local grade school, using Nook Touches, and part of that is to find as many good free books as possible. One of the things I like about the Nook (compared to Kindle) is that I have a lot more places to look.

I haven't had a chance to try books from all sources yet, but this morning I grabbed a couple books from the Gutenberg Project and successfully got them onto one of my Nooks. (I tried both the pdf format and epub format, and both got on there fine.) However, I cannot seem to get the dictionary function to work on at least the two books I've tried so far, even though they are epub format.

Is this going to be the case for all Gutenberg books? all books from other sources (Smashwords, Borders, others)? If so, that's going to be rather disappointing; one of the things we want to encourage the kids to do is to use the dictionary whenever they are unsure of a word because the dictionary is right there at their fingertips.

Sorry if this has been covered before; I searched but didn't find any threads that seemed to address this.

Thanks for any input on this issue.

Carolyn B-G
CarolynBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
Ubermensch
Connoisseur
Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
The source of the book doesn't matter, it's the file type that does. I tried using the dictionary on my side-loaded ePubs, and it worked. I'm not sure what's causing your issue... Maybe try again?

As for the PDFs, however, it's not currently supported.
Ubermensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
CarolynBG
Enthusiast
CarolynBG has become one with the cosmosCarolynBG has become one with the cosmosCarolynBG has become one with the cosmosCarolynBG has become one with the cosmosCarolynBG has become one with the cosmosCarolynBG has become one with the cosmosCarolynBG has become one with the cosmosCarolynBG has become one with the cosmosCarolynBG has become one with the cosmosCarolynBG has become one with the cosmosCarolynBG has become one with the cosmos

Yeah, I figured as much about the pdfs. Could the file name itself be a problem? (that is, too long, characters that it doesn't like such as spaces, etc.)? We added a meaningful title to the front end of the file name that Gutenberg used (which was totally meaningless); but the file type is still epub. (And it DOES load and is perfectly readable.)

Will keep trying... good to know that it *should* work though.

Thanks,
Carolyn
Old 09-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
You might try downloading calibre, load the Gutenberg book into it and publish it in ePub just to make sure you have a book in standard ePub format.

calibre is here: http://calibre-ebook.com/
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
Ubermensch
Connoisseur
Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynBG View Post
Yeah, I figured as much about the pdfs. Could the file name itself be a problem? (that is, too long, characters that it doesn't like such as spaces, etc.)? We added a meaningful title to the front end of the file name that Gutenberg used (which was totally meaningless); but the file type is still epub. (And it DOES load and is perfectly readable.)

Will keep trying... good to know that it *should* work though.

Thanks,
Carolyn
Is it that the "Look Up" option isn't there, or that nothing happens when you tap it?

I also customized most of my ePubs and the dictionary still works perfectly.
Ubermensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2011, 12:16 AM   #6
CarolynBG
Enthusiast

Calibre did the trick, apparently! (I am naive enough about this stuff that I had heard vaguely of Calibre, but had not thought I'd be needing it.) Woohoo! Thank you, 6charlong!

(Ubermensch -- nothing at all would happen when I held my finger on a word.)

Thanks again!
Carolyn
Old 09-08-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
In general, try to get the epub version over the pdf version when possible on your nook.

epub format is more suited for ereaders and was designed specifically for allowing books to be read on various devices, screen sizes, fonts etc.

pdf format was designed to capture the exact layout, size and font of a document.
log is offline   Reply With Quote