Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 06-16-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
brauckmiller
Edge User

Tethering

Ok guys...I own an iPhone and have jailbroken it in the past and when iOS 4 comes out, they will support tethering (assuming you pay AT&T for it).

My question is, how can I get the eDGe to tether in that scenario?

On the jailbreak side, I can use PDANet with WiFi running in Ad-Hoc mode. I can do this on my Windows PC and then PDANet will associate to that SSID and I can then use my laptop via the iphone to access the internet. Since it appears that enTorage does not enable Ad-Hoc wireless, I don't see a way to tether.

Any suggestions?

Old 06-16-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
brauckmiller
Edge User

Yeah...crap...went back and searched the forums and saw the big thread a while back on it. Someone is asking PDANet ppl to develop an Android client. Lets see what happens on that side. Maybe then can enable Bluetooth support...that would be nice.

Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
brauckmiller
Edge User

Just emailed PDANet and asked about it as well. I am a registered owner.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:57 AM   #4
Nick_Djinn
Edge User

There should definitely be a how to on this.

There might be some products out there that turn your phone into a wireless hub....its a lot to carry, but if you go that route you dont have to worry about tethering, you just connect to your phones hot spot.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
NiaTrue
Edge User

I'm thinking about ditching my CrackBerry for an HTC Evo, which supports up to five other devices on its WiFi/3G hot spot. Any one know if the eDGe recognizes the Evo?

Advert
Old 06-20-2010, 04:47 AM   #6
Nick_Djinn
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
I have WMWifiRouter for my WinMo phone. Like all other similar apps, this creates an ad hoc wifi network - which is exactly what the eDGe can't connect to (hence this thread...).
The device I am thinking of doesnt create an "ad hoc' wifi network, but a regular wifi network that is no different from a wireless router.

Have you tried connecting via bluetooth?

I am soon to have internet on my phone and I would like to trouble shoot this with you.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:22 PM   #7
kenjennings
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiaTrue View Post
I'm thinking about ditching my CrackBerry for an HTC Evo, which supports up to five other devices on its WiFi/3G hot spot. Any one know if the eDGe recognizes the Evo?
If the EVO looks like an open wifi router to other devices then it should work fine with the edge. Based on the EVO description I'd expect it to work.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:40 AM   #8
devseev
Edge User

Tethering the eDGe seems like it's just out of reach:

1. WiFi buddy app sees ad hoc networks but can't (yet) connect.
2. Entourage staff has said that the eDGe can theoretically be tethered to, but haven't said if any particular device works or how it can be made to work.

Of the three ways to do tethering (usb, bluetooth and ad-hoc network) none currently work, as far as I know. Only devices that create a genuine Wifi signal out of a cell signal - e.g. mifi, router + usb broadband modem, and HTC Evo apparently, can be "tethered" to the eDGe.
If anyone has gotten any further with this, please post!

Old 06-21-2010, 07:35 PM   #9
brauckmiller
Edge User

I had to call support with a PDF reflow problem (which is apparently a known issue). While talking to the guy, I asked about the possibility of them adding ad-hoc support back. He said it was in the works...sor crossing my fingers there.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:09 PM   #10
NiaTrue
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjennings View Post
If the EVO looks like an open wifi router to other devices then it should work fine with the edge. Based on the EVO description I'd expect it to work.
Thanks. That was my assessment as well, given the descriptions of the Evo.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:58 PM   #11
robot
Edge User

Does anyone still interested in tethering or any other features in WiFi management?

Old 08-06-2010, 04:22 PM   #12
Snepscheut
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot View Post
Does anyone still interested in tethering or any other features in WiFi management?
Robot,

Tethering yes please, if you could make this work (and maybe in an app) this would make a huge leap forward to me.

I hope entourage will make good use of your work so we can soon have a far beter use of our eDGe.

thanks and greetings,

Jos

Old 08-06-2010, 04:24 PM   #13
brauckmiller
Edge User

YO!

I am very interested....

All I need is Ad-Hoc. I jailbroke my iPhone and am using PDANet.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:49 PM   #14
NiaTrue
Edge User

Make that (at least) three.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #15
keng2000
Edge User

New Android supports Hot-spot function. such as Samsung Galaxy S you can make it as wifi access point and route data network to mobile EDGE/3G/4G network.

IPHONE can do it too, if you jailbreak and install "Mywi" from Cydia.