Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-12-2015, 06:51 PM   #121
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post
Thanks!

I am happy that there is going to be a ML version. Even the official specifications confirm it
http://www.onyx-international.com/in.../boox-i-series

Previous reports had suggested that front-light wasn't very even. I hope they have improved it in the meantime.
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:12 PM   #122
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
I think that rogue sales are an inevitable result of frustration at the lengthy delay between the announcement of the existence of the i86 and any (still awaited) official sales. We also have a couple of other models (the i67 and D67) that have released specs, but no hint of sales.

When I bought my i62HD, Onyx-Boox was at the forefront of introduction of HD screens, and not long thereafter the introduction of frontlights (the Firefly) and Android (the i63). Since then, it seems to have become increasingly tentative, both with what new technologies it adopts (all the more glaring given the relative dearth of new technologies to start with), and with actually bringing itself to release new models.

[Addendum: I've also found evidence of another unreleased model, the i65]

Last edited by Hrafn; 03-13-2015 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Addendum
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2015, 10:21 PM   #123
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
I think that rogue sales are an inevitable result of frustration at the lengthy delay between the announcement of the existence of the i86 and any (still awaited) official sales. We also have a couple of other models (the i67 and D67) that have released specs, but no hint of sales.

When I bought my i62HD, Onyx-Boox was at the forefront of introduction of HD screens, and not long thereafter the introduction of frontlights (the Firefly) and Android (the i63). Since then, it seems to have become increasingly tentative, both with what new technologies it adopts (all the more glaring given the relative dearth of new technologies to start with), and with actually bringing itself to release new models.
Yep. I've been trying to buy one for going on 5 months now, so i jumped at the chance to buy the one on Amazon.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:16 PM   #124
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, I've literally only been home for a couple hours, so I haven't had a chance to play with it much.

But I did get one (this wasn't a scam). It came in an unlabeled retail box. The device does have Google Play (I haven't had a chance to log in to my account). The language was set to Chinese, but I switched to English.

The general build quality is good. It's a little bigger, thicker, and lighter than my InkPad.

I've got a bunch of things to catch up on, so that's all I have so far.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:18 AM   #125
Fauver
Fauver began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Could you please make and post some pictures?
Fauver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2015, 10:45 AM   #126
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauver View Post
Could you please make and post some pictures?
With manga
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:58 AM   #127
antithesis
Avid reader
antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle DX White
How's the touchscreen on it?
antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:59 PM   #128
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesis View Post
How's the touchscreen on it?
The touchscreen works okay.

I've had some time to play with it today, and this is most definitely not a finished product.

The software is very slow. The interface feels like it was designed for a 6" screen. There isn't enough storage for apps (I ran out of space after only 6 or 7). In fact, I think much of the space is being reported mistakenly as filled with apps.

A number of apps won't install (so far: RepliGo, Dropbox).

But on the plus side there is Google Play. But that's about the only plus so far.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:30 PM   #129
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One of the features that raised my curiosity towards this model is that it appears to break Onyx's trend of moving away from IR touchscreens, towards capacitive ones in recent models (e.g. T68, M96C, C67/AG2, C65). It will be interesting to see how the i86's touchscreen stacks up.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:11 AM   #130
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
One of the features that raised my curiosity towards this model is that it appears to break Onyx's trend of moving away from IR touchscreens, towards capacitive ones in recent models (e.g. T68, M96C, C67/AG2, C65). It will be interesting to see how the i86's touchscreen stacks up.
I only have the T68 to compare it with, so i can't really say.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:23 AM   #131
Kast
Kast is kind to children and small, furry animalsKast is kind to children and small, furry animalsKast is kind to children and small, furry animalsKast is kind to children and small, furry animalsKast is kind to children and small, furry animalsKast is kind to children and small, furry animalsKast is kind to children and small, furry animalsKast is kind to children and small, furry animalsKast is kind to children and small, furry animalsKast is kind to children and small, furry animalsKast is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I only have the T68 to compare it with, so i can't really say.
How's the screen contrast and general quality?
Kast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:22 PM   #132
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kast View Post
How's the screen contrast and general quality?
It's okay:
http://the-digital-reader.com/2015/0...droid-ereader/
Old 03-29-2015, 06:01 PM   #133
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
So once again we have hardware that is only semi-usable (unless Booxtor develops functional firmware) which can only be had from dubious Ebay vendors?

Last edited by Phogg; 03-29-2015 at 06:03 PM.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:06 PM   #134
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
So once again we have hardware that is only semi-usable (unless Booxtor develops functional firmware) which can only be had from dubious Ebay vendors?
Pretty much.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:00 PM   #135
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Admittedly in this case, it is a product that they have not released yet (at least outside China). This means that we cannot blame Onyx for its "semi-usable" state, but also that Booxter probably cannot help us (as he would only deal with official releases).

A larger concern is that, after languishing for so long in pre-release, that the product is still in such an obviously-unfinished state. (I just checked, and this thread was actually started just over a year ago, with the announcement of the i86 -- which is a ridiculously long time to spend in pre-release.) This seems to imply that Onyx is regressing rather than improving on their ability to finalise/fine-tune/'polish' a product.

Which may mean that I should be looking at a Boyue T62+, or a heavily-rooted/modded Kobo Alyssum, rather than to some upcoming Onyx Boox, for my next eReader.

Last edited by Hrafn; 03-29-2015 at 10:05 PM. Reason: "just over a year"