Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-30-2015, 10:30 AM   #151
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivak View Post
Looks very nice... build in front light, more ram and storage, could be my next ereader.
But why a single core processor in comparison with the dualcore in the smaller C67ML/Afterglow2.

Someone an idea ?
My guess is that this is due to how long it's been in development -- it's processor would have been chosen well before it was announced a year ago.

The C67 may have come out first, but likely it started development after.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:32 AM   #152
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post
My guess is that this is due to how long it's been in development -- it's processor would have been chosen well before it was announced a year ago.

Still, if page turns reading manga aren't horrible I will probably be game.
Assuming that people who get the early ones find them to be reliable.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2015, 02:44 AM   #153
Rivak
Rivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx i86 HDML Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post

Could be. It will likely be easier/cheaper to double the ram and storage instead of exchanging the processor.
Rivak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:30 PM   #154
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Appears to be the same processor used in the M96 models. For a reader, it's fast enough.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:47 PM   #155
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
I will say it's enough when I can turn the e-pages same fast as I can turn the real ones. For now from my experience with M96:
  • native pdf textbooks - very close to what I want, a pleasant experience when browsing content;
  • native pdf magazines - good, not very long but definitely noticeable wait before a page gets rendered, the more complex the content the longer the wait, more cpu would definitely help here;
  • scanned pdf - this obviously varies with dpi and quality, generally acceptable for reading, unacceptable for casual browsing.
I would welcome first a faster cpu, then more cores, in this order because I don't know how much processing can be parallelised here.

Meanwhile I have just pre-ordered i86 (excited! ) mostly because of the higher resolution screen. It will be interesting to compare the experience with my M96. I was told that every preorder will get the original Onyx cover for free.
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2015, 02:58 PM   #156
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

I'm getting excited about this - the combination of touch and front-light on a screen larger than 6" sure sounds about perfect.

I wonder how many other people pre-ordered ahead of me...
Old 06-05-2015, 11:20 AM   #157
EldRick
Evangelist

Oh well, good news and bad news: I just got this email from ereader store:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello

First of all thanks a lot for pre-ordering of new Onyx Boox i86 HDML Plus. This version of i86 will be available exclusively in our store.

Unfortunately I just got a message from Onyx International - they had to postpone the delivery of the first batch of i86ML until 10th of Juny because of unexpectedly delayed delivery of i86 protective covers from their supplier. We were going to add those covers for free to all pre-orders.

Please accept our apologies for the unexpected delay of delivery of your order. We are pushing the factory to release the new batch as soon as possible.

Last edited by EldRick; 06-05-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:56 PM   #158
seltzered
Enthusiast
seltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud of

Device: none
Yeah, wasn't happy to get that delay email today.
seltzered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:59 PM   #159
EldRick
Evangelist

Quote:
I will say it's enough when I can turn the e-pages same fast as I can turn the real ones.
machinogodzilla - you might want to reconsider that:
- When you flip the page on a real book, you've got tactile feedback - you know for sure you flipped it,
- On a screen, if a text page changes instantly, most people would say it is a bit disorienting - you don't know whether it changed or not, until you actually start Reading to see the difference.
If that page-turn is ever balky (like with a touch screen) or occasionally slow, it can become pretty annoying to sometimes start reading, and not realize that you're still on the same page for a second or two.
This is not a big deal for graphic content, where the change is obvious, but can be an issue for textbooks.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:09 PM   #160
EldRick
Evangelist

For what it's worth, when I go to the order history for my i86ML, it now says "Preorder. Available from 12-th of June"
Old 06-10-2015, 02:56 PM   #161
86232and
86232and is a jewel in the rough86232and is a jewel in the rough86232and is a jewel in the rough86232and is a jewel in the rough86232and is a jewel in the rough86232and is a jewel in the rough86232and is a jewel in the rough86232and is a jewel in the rough86232and is a jewel in the rough86232and is a jewel in the rough86232and is a jewel in the rough

Device: Onyx Boox T68 UHDML
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
For what it's worth, when I go to the order history for my i86ML, it now says "Preorder. Available from 12-th of June"
Read more:"Attention! Although the first batch of i86 HDML Plus was quite large, it has been already sold out by pre-orders. It turned to be very desired device (special thanks to our customers from South Korea, Japan and USA). All placed pre-orders will be shipped within of the next days. Placing of new pre-orders is currently disabled.

Next batch is already in production will arrive in approximately 3-4 weeks. Placing of pre-orders for this new batch will be enabled approximately one week in advance before delivery to our warehouse."
86232and is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:38 PM   #162
EldRick
Evangelist

Cool

I'm not worried about the next batch.
The only important one, Mine, still says "Preorder. Available from 12-th of June" so I'm guessing they slipped a couple more days, or are only counting business days.

Last edited by EldRick; 06-10-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:09 PM   #163
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86232and View Post
Read more:"Attention! Although the first batch of i86 HDML Plus was quite large, it has been already sold out by pre-orders. It turned to be very desired device (special thanks to our customers from South Korea, Japan and USA). All placed pre-orders will be shipped within of the next days. Placing of new pre-orders is currently disabled.

Next batch is already in production will arrive in approximately 3-4 weeks. Placing of pre-orders for this new batch will be enabled approximately one week in advance before delivery to our warehouse."
I saw that.

I'm not bothered, as I planned to wait (as usual) and see if early buyers had problems with these.

I did buy an Asus Vivotab Note 8 even though I knew a lot of those had issues, but I lucked out and got a trouble free one.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:32 AM   #164
Manolo
Addict
Manolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo AuraH2O & Onyx i62HD & M92
In e-Readerstore you can still read:
"Preorder. Available from 12th June"
But today is 15 ... Is it available?
Manolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:40 AM   #165
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo View Post
In e-Readerstore you can still read:
"Preorder. Available from 12th June"
But today is 15 ... Is it available?
I got a shipping notice. UPS says my order will arrive on Wednesday of this week.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote