Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 11-29-2011, 11:06 PM   #16
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
Quote:
Originally Posted by daletsteele View Post
Ha! I just discovered this workaround by leaving my Kindle Touch attached & charging overnight. When Calibre 8.27 started up in the morning to send my daily news out those files transferred directly by cable had all kindle features including sections, articles, clipping etc. The same files emailed out didn't. This is very helpful but I'm used to the email solution and hope the mobile read/calibre community can overcome this problem. Meanwhile, do we know yet if the Calibre content strategy works? I'll give it a try next.
There is nothing the mobileread/calibre community can do because we have no control over the way Amazon and the Kindle Fire handle emailed documents. Amazon steps on the EXTH[501] entry, setting it to PDOC, and the Kindle Fire/Touch say "oh, that's a personal document, so I'll just handle it as a book."

As for the calibre content server, any network mechanism (as opposed to USB) for transferring files to the Kindle Fire/Touch results in the Kindle not recognizing the file as openable with the Kindle reader until either (a) you restart the Kindle or (b) you execute a multi-step process for each document involving selecting it with an app called File Expert, asking to open it, selecting the Kindle reader as the application desired, then exiting to the Newsstand tab and finally viewing your periodical in the news reader instead of the book reader.

Bottom line: your strategy of leaving your Kindle plugged in to the USB so calibre can copy the files automatically as the recipes run is likely as good as it gets.

Last edited by nickredding; 11-29-2011 at 11:22 PM.
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:32 PM   #17
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
If I owned a Kindle I would be submitting complaints to Amazon and ask them to quit overwriting the EXTH[501] field with PDOC. If I wanted the book to have a PDOC tag I would have put it there.
Amazon is completely uninterested in problems with content that doesn't originate in their store. I would say to Kindle owners: don't waste your time complaining to Amazon; they don't care.

I have sometimes thought that Amazon does things to its Kindle software to render non-Amazon content in a degraded fashion (e.g. the fiasco over the "Sections and Articles" view in the latest K3 software, and now the PDOC issue). However, I now think that the Kindle software developers simply don't consider the implications of what they are doing for non-Amazon content at all. They assume pretty-well everything you'll look at on your Kindle comes from Amazon, and the personal document capability is incidental and unimportant for most people.

Of course, that is precisely the Amazon business plan with Kindle. You get a Kindle so you can buy their content, not to look at your own stuff. The calibre community is of no interest whatsoever to Amazon, and in fact they are probably annoyed at the alternative to the paid Amazon periodical subscriptions that calibre provides.

Well, that's my rant for today!
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
kindle touch, recipes, sections