Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #35596
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
I'm just gonna meld all my threads into one:

What Are You Doing Right Now?
Not sleeping, that's for sure.

What's In Your Cup?
Coffee, even though it's not time to get up. But did I mention the not sleeping part?

Vent and Rant:
Why oh why can't I sleep? Why must I wake up at 2 or 3 a.m. and then just STAY awake until I can't stand staying in the bed any longer?

Admittedly I have a lot on my mind. I put an offer on a house yesterday. I go to the dr today to get the results of my shoulder MRI. Sleeping was never my strong suit, but this is getting ridiculous. I do not want to take sleep aids, although I have tried melatonin. It worked the first couple of times I tried it but not right now.

Anyway, not sleeping is making me grouchy!
Coffee at whatever early hour of the morning simply guarentees that you won't sleep. It might help to cut back on the caffene during the day and see that helps with the sleep.

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now. I know when that is the case for me I cannot shut off my mind and sleep. Heck, I watch Lucas and I realize that learning to shut the brain off so you can sleep is one of the hardest things to learn to do. Little guy will be exhausted, eye rubbing and yawning like no tomorrow but he just can't sleep. He cries very loudly to make sure that we are aware he has not figured the trick out.

Be good to yourself. Enjoy a movie, read a silly book, do something that does not take a lot of brain power and see if that helps you drift back off. But avoid the coffee.

Good luck with the house and the Doctor!
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #35597
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I just discovered a special key on the virtual keyboard on my surface, it's only taken me a month��
How do you like your Surface� Have you ever had an iPad to compare the two�
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:21 AM   #35598
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
How do you like your Surface� Have you ever had an iPad to compare the two�
Never had an iPad. The surface is a learning curve. There are absolutely no instructions��! Every day there is a new discovery. It is finally filling the need I got it for... being able to go to the field and pull up information for my clients using my mobile hotspot. Can that be done from my smart phone? Not quite as nimbly. Am I under using this? Yeah, certainly, but that is changing daily.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #35599
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
I've got one of these on order....

...But I'm not ranting. I'm waiting. If the M-Audio Audiophile-192 isn't compatible with Windows 8—after the Microsoft website promised that it wasthen I'll rant!
THERE BE SOUND HERE, CAPTAIN!

But it wasn't easy. Windows 8 wouldn't let the disk that came with it install the drivers, and when I went to the M-Audio website, no drivers were listed for Windows 8. So I downloaded a Windows 7 SP-1 driver and it did the trick.

Happy dance!

Listening to "Time Has Come Today" by the Chambers Brothers—the long version that even FM stations have forgotten exists!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #35600
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
THERE BE SOUND HERE, CAPTAIN!

But it wasn't easy. Windows 8 wouldn't let the disk that came with it install the drivers, and when I went to the M-Audio website, no drivers were listed for Windows 8. So I downloaded a Windows 7 SP-1 driver and it did the trick.

Happy dance!

Listening to "Time Has Come Today" by the Chambers Brothers—the long version that even FM stations have forgotten exists!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #35601
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
I'm just gonna meld all my threads into one:
...,,.Not sleeping, that's for sure.
..... I put an offer on a house yesterday.
......I go to the dr today to get the results of my shoulder MRI.
I hope your sleep will be better, but I hear it from a lot of women (is this a typical woman-thing?) who don't sleep the night through. Take care, Betty.
And a new house! That is exciting. I hope it will come through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I'm just updating my calorie-counter spreadsheet and figuring what I can have to eat on this fasting day. No Micronesians in sight, unfortunately.
he,he, he, perhaps if you fast for long enough, you'll see them.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I hope you are able to find a trip that includes what you really want and that it isn't too expensive.
I wish your mother-in-law well....
I am looking for another trip now, not in a group, but individual in a car;
from Tasjkent-Samarqand (Kyrgyzstan)-Ferganavalley-via the Irkesthampass into China, Kashgar-Dunhuang-Xiahe (Labrang Monastry=Tibetan Buddism)- Xian(Terra Cotta Army)-Bejing and back home.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #35602
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Vent and Rant:
Why oh why can't I sleep? Why must I wake up at 2 or 3 a.m. and then just STAY awake until I can't stand staying in the bed any longer?
Betty - speaking from bitter experience with this form of insomnia - don't try to self treat this and become debilitated! Prolonged sleep deprivation puts you into a mental vicious circle where you stop thinking rationally about your insomnia and how to deal with it - and it will become very detrimental to your overall health - esp. since you're trying to heal your shoulder, heal your heart, etc. - Go to your doctor and get something to help you restore your normal sleep cycle so you can remain asleep until morning - it won't get better by itself once the pattern has become "habitual" (I know - I've been there!). I was prescribed a lot of different stuff - but a very low dose of Clonazepam (Klonopin) worked for me - and I did NOT become dependent on it.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #35603
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
MRI results show a "moderate broad-based partial thickness tear" of the supraspinatus tendon, which is not a horrible diagnosis. Often people have a small tear and never know it. More concerning is the fact that my shoulder is so painful, and frozen in spite of all the PT. He wants to do a "manipulation under anesthesia" to break up the scar tissue and get it moving. That should show whether the pain is from the frozen shoulder or from the tear. I'm trying 6 more weeks of PT first to see if I can do it without that.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #35604
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the followup and GOOD LUCK!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #35605
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
MRI results show a "moderate broad-based partial thickness tear" of the supraspinatus tendon, which is not a horrible diagnosis. Often people have a small tear and never know it. More concerning is the fact that my shoulder is so painful, and frozen in spite of all the PT. He wants to do a "manipulation under anesthesia" to break up the scar tissue and get it moving. That should show whether the pain is from the frozen shoulder or from the tear. I'm trying 6 more weeks of PT first to see if I can do it without that.
Best healing wishes, Betty!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:06 AM   #35606
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Catching up on everything, I see Stitchawl is home.. Welcome back and the description of the young women changing is what is said happens to young latinas.. young, single, beautiful then married, kids, and then poff! My friend says they must have a fat gene that kicks in. And thanks for always taking the time to explain stuff to me. The information on diving is always interesting.

Thanks for the update Betty. I hope the additional PT works and you are able to get a decent full night of sleep. Good Luck on the house.

Right now I am trying to decide what to eat.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:40 AM   #35607
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Back from shopping and drinking an afternoon mug of Keemun tea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Catching up on everything, I see Stitchawl is home.. Welcome back and the description of the young women changing is what is said happens to young latinas.. young, single, beautiful then married, kids, and then poff!
"Fat" doesn't quite fit. By 30 years old, with 3-5 kids (98% Roman Catholic in Micronesia thanks to the Spanish and Portuguese,) a diet that puts 'Spam' into 10-15 meals out of every week, and these women add a whole new dimension to the definition of 'fat.' 150kg on a 5' tall woman isn't unusual...

Quote:
My friend says they must have a fat gene that kicks in.
Something sure does, cuz you see the same thing happening in Saipan, Rota, Guam, Chuuk, Pohnpei and Kosrae. For some reason, it doesn't seem as big a problem (no pun intended) in the Western Caroline islands, which make up the south western end of Micronesia.

Betty, have you tried talking with an osteopath? They work on the principle that the body 'should have' healed itself, and if for some reason it stopped in the middle, gently (the definition of this one that my osteopath uses is very different from mine...) re-injuring the tendon and letting it get back to work healing itself has worked for me with the bicep tendons. It hurt like hell when he was digging his thumbs into the tendon, but then over the next two weeks all pain was gone, and my shoulder didn't hurt at all. Of course, then I re-injured it when I went paragliding, so I'm going to have to do it all over again.... Fortunately, I didn't re-injure my knees so they still are pain-free. I sure wish osteopaths could use anesthesia...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:37 AM   #35608
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Curled up in bed with a big mug tea, my Kindle, tablet and remote control. Today is a lazy day.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #35609
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
He, Betty, I do hope your shoulder will be better whatever you choose to do. Take good care of yourself! (and get some sleep......)
What helps me to sleep: listening to an audiobook....Jane Austen or such. Or painting my house from top to bottom (in my mind of course ); I imagine myself cleaning, sandpapering, undercoating etc etc a door.....and on to the next
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #35610
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
.. Or painting my house from top to bottom (in my mind of course ); I imagine myself cleaning, sandpapering, undercoating etc etc a door.....and on to the next
Sounds way more complicated than counting sheep.

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?