Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-11-2008, 03:32 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Bookmark / lost page bugs with new firmware upgrade

Can anyone who was experiencing issues with lost bookmarks and/or lost reading positions with the Gen3 let us know whether or not the new firmware update has improved things for them?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can anyone who was experiencing issues with lost bookmarks and/or lost reading positions with the Gen3 let us know whether or not the new firmware update has improved things for them?
I have not seen the problem with the new firmware -- but the base rate for the problem was low for me with 538, so I will wait awhile longer before declaring it killed for me.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2008, 08:04 AM   #3
ggendel
Connoisseur
ggendel is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook 3
Haven't seen that yet, but I got caught with one page-flip hang, where it took several presses to actually get to the next page. The LED would glow for a bit but then nothing happened. I've seen this in 538 as well, but it happens so infrequently that it doesn't bother me.
ggendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:07 AM   #4
adelheid
Zealot
adelheid began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
I got caught with one page-flip hang, where it took several presses to actually get to the next page. The LED would glow for a bit but then nothing happened.
That's the one thing that I noticed more often than before the update.
adelheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:52 AM   #5
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
The page-not-turning problem is present for me, just like in 4xx build, with no noticeable change in frequency of happenning.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2008, 04:43 AM   #6
leeloo
multipass
leeloo began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
I don't really use bookmarks, but the lost page bug (which I assume is losing the page when going to sleep) happens with identical frequency.
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:03 AM   #7
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
I had the previous problem. Now I have a new problem of it that is worse.

Previously, especially near the end of a long book, it would find itself unable to record a bookmark. It would then loose the page number each time you left the book or powered off. At times it would slow down and stop responding. I had to reset it, or sometimes removing and reinserting the memory card would fix things.

This seems to be fixed -- I can always leave bookmarks. However, about once per day it corrupts at least the book I am reading and sometimes the entire SD card. Sometimes the entire library view disappears. Other times, I can still see the book covers, but I can't open them. this creates more hassle since I have to reload the SD card and I like to keep my entire library on it.

Michael
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:10 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You have, almost without doubt, a corrupt file system on your SD card. Reformat it - that should fix the problem. Can't blame the firmware for that one .
Old 05-13-2008, 01:33 PM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
You have, almost without doubt, a corrupt file system on your SD card. Reformat it - that should fix the problem. Can't blame the firmware for that one .
Actually I think the firmware should check the system and report if it is corrupt. Since people do not know how to do it themselves it would be a very good thing to have in the firmware.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:44 PM   #10
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
I got caught with one page-flip hang, where it took several presses to actually get to the next page. The LED would glow for a bit but then nothing happened. I've seen this in 538 as well, but it happens so infrequently that it doesn't bother me.
I am also seeing this. It appears to depend on how long you keep the button depressed. A quick tap of the button is much more likely to create this behavior. Holding the button down longer (say 1-2 seconds) may eliminate the problem. (More 'testing' is needed before it can be said of this 'fixes' the problem)

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:25 PM   #11
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I have gone from having no page turning ' problems ' to having a few each day ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:46 AM   #12
mjdb
Kiwi Member
mjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-books

Device: NAEB Bookeen Cybook Gen3, eBookman
Quote:
I had this problem with the original firmware for the first 24 hours after my Cybook was delivered.
Chkdsk showed the FAT file system on the SD card supplied by Bookeen was reproducably corrupt after the Cybook wrote to the SD card.
After reformatting the SD card to use the FAT32 filesystem,
(the same filesytem as the internal flash memory),
I had absolutely no problems for more than two months of almost daily usage.

Yesterday, I upgraded the firmware from v1 to v1.1.
That was easy and untroubled, (and also fixed the mp3 bug [1]).

After the upgrade I copied some extra books to one subdirectory on the SD card, and my experinces have been that reading was fine initially, but later I noticed that the reader was not saving its current position in the book, nor was it saving bookmarks[2].

I ran chkdsk and there was a filesystem problem in the eBook subdirectory
into which the new books had been copied.
This time the problem ("trailing folder entries") was one that Chkdsk could
fix without any data loss, and after running chkdsk /f, the Cybook is now
remembering its place and remembering bookmarks.

Before I fixed the filesystem, but after I noticed the fail to save problem,
the cybook also crashed several times, requiring a reset.

So I don't yet know if the newer firmware was responsible, or my file copying.
I will wait and see if the problem recurs.

After fixing the filesystem on the SD card (without needing to reformat) just the once since upgrading the firmware, I have had no futher problems with it failing to save bookmarks or remember its place in a book.

Since the firmware upgrade, it also seems a bit harder to get the timing
right when tricking the Cybook into eBook Reading Mode while connected to external power (done by entering Slideshow mode, connecting power, and exiting slideshow mode and returning to the book reader).

So I had the problem with v1 until I fixed the SD card system.

The problem recurred with the upgrade to v1.1, but after fixing the SD file system it hasn't yet recurred.

Martin.

[1] so I can now listen to podcasts of The Future and You, including readings from JBU on my cybook (before the upgrade they were playing too fast).
http://www.thefutureandyou.libsyn.co...egory=podcasts
However now that it will play these mp3s, I have decided that the Cybook is a useless mp3 player for podcasts which tend to be long - 60 mins plus.

No display of elapsed time, or time remaining.
No saving of current position in the audio file.
and NO FAST FORWARD !!
So you have to listen to everything from the beginning every time you restart. (All of these could be fixed by a software upgrade)

[2] Interestingly, the bookmark symptom on this occasion, differed from last time. Last time the bookmark symbol appeared in the corner of the screen, but wasn't saved. This time the symbol didn't appear, which was a useful indication of a problem.

HOWEVER, despite all the things above, I should note that I really love my
Cybook - it functions as an eBook reader, and the screen display is really
truely glorious - that being what I bought it for, I remain very pleased.
mjdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:55 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
After fixing the filesystem on the SD card (without needing to reformat) just the once since upgrading the firmware, I have had no futher problems with it failing to save bookmarks or remember its place in a book.
It does appear that many - perhaps all? - of the problems people have with bookmarks have their root cause in corrupt file systems. The mystery is why it's happening to some people and not to others (eg it's never happened to me in almost 7 months of usage).
Old 05-15-2008, 12:25 PM   #14
momghoti
Zealot
momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Bookeen
I noticed that the bookmark/lost page problems increased after the mobireader upgraded. Anyone else notice this? I also noticed that I had more problems with the Tor free ebook download. Perhaps there is a version conflict?
momghoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:17 PM   #15
DocGo
DocGo began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen 3
With the new firmware, I have the page turning problem (I use my Cybook without the cover while reading...the cover is used only when traveling). However, my bookmarks have no problem (no lost bookmarks).
DocGo is offline   Reply With Quote