Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-24-2008, 04:49 PM   #31
qwud
qwud began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
It's really frustrating that when eBooks get wide press coverage, the story does not mention DRM and the issues with incompatible formats and readers. This is probably the biggest barrier to widespread adoption.

Oh, and because of the DCMA, the DRM stripping and copying you do to be able to justly read a book you own on the device you also own is illegal.
qwud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:46 PM   #32
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I was going to pick it up when it first came out (I think Sony was offering it for free or really cheap), forgot, and now refuse because it is an Oprah book.

I just can't bring myself to it
Heh. I read it (Mobi version for my Cybook) for a book club at work that has since disbanded long before Oprah...it's very long. I didn't realize how long it was. I've no objection to long books whatsoever, but it's interesting that since I purchased it as an ebook, I didn't realize how long it was!
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:31 PM   #33
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Well, I'm still going to post here and enjoy the banter :-) - I've read a few of Oprah picks - whenever I need a good cry - "Plain Song", "Map of the World", "The Secret Life of Bees" - in the first the boy that got the girl pregnant was a bad guy - but the men who took her in were very kind, the second really didn't have any irons to burn regarding men, the last, the father was terrible, but by the end, you understand better and he does a noble thing.

They're not classic literature, but for me, many are pleasurable (think drinking a moche latte) type of experience - they evoke an emotion, probably in a standard kind of way, but enjoyable none the less.

I haven't read the Sawe.. book - didn't sound good to me.

PS - I don't ever watch Oprah though - just notice the books at the store.
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:26 PM   #34
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrunk View Post
Well, I'm still going to post here and enjoy the banter :-) - I've read a few of Oprah picks - whenever I need a good cry - "Plain Song", "Map of the World", "The Secret Life of Bees" - in the first the boy that got the girl pregnant was a bad guy - but the men who took her in were very kind, the second really didn't have any irons to burn regarding men, the last, the father was terrible, but by the end, you understand better and he does a noble thing.

They're not classic literature, but for me, many are pleasurable (think drinking a moche latte) type of experience - they evoke an emotion, probably in a standard kind of way, but enjoyable none the less.

I haven't read the Sawe.. book - didn't sound good to me.

PS - I don't ever watch Oprah though - just notice the books at the store.
I only read one Oprah book (years ago), She's Come Undone. I did enjoy it. But now I can't read her recommendations, as a matter of stupid principle.

I probably wouldn't have a problem with it if I hadn't worked in a bookstore for so long, but I saw the kind of people who would read them (just because Oprah said so) and I felt a little dirty. Terrible reason, but there you have it.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:36 PM   #35
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I only read one Oprah book (years ago), She's Come Undone. I did enjoy it. But now I can't read her recommendations, as a matter of stupid principle.

I probably wouldn't have a problem with it if I hadn't worked in a bookstore for so long, but I saw the kind of people who would read them (just because Oprah said so) and I felt a little dirty. Terrible reason, but there you have it.
I think just as lemming like it is to read a book "just because" Oprah recommended it... the corollary is true too... you are being lemming like if you don't read something "just because" Oprah recommended it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:08 PM   #36
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think just as lemming like it is to read a book "just because" Oprah recommended it... the corollary is true too... you are being lemming like if you don't read something "just because" Oprah recommended it.

BOb
This would make a good poll.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:14 AM   #37
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
That is a cool statistic.

I was going to pick it up when it first came out (I think Sony was offering it for free or really cheap), forgot, and now refuse because it is an Oprah book.

I just can't bring myself to it
I don't know about Sony, but Fictionwise had it for free. I grabbed it.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:11 AM   #38
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
To all my fellow Kindle owners: I hope you don't hate your kindle now since Oprah recommended Kindle as well.

Frankly, I really don't understand the feelings shared in this thread.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:24 AM   #39
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
I told you it was a stupid reason

Let me be clear though, I won't give anyone a hard time for reading an Oprah book. I will never make fun of someone for what they are reading. As long as someone is reading, I'm happy. But if you tell me you never read and you hate to read, that bothers me.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:18 PM   #40
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
I told you it was a stupid reason

Let me be clear though, I won't give anyone a hard time for reading an Oprah book. I will never make fun of someone for what they are reading. As long as someone is reading, I'm happy. But if you tell me you never read and you hate to read, that bothers me.

I don't think it was a stupid reason at all. Look at her audience. The slack-jawed adoration. The near hysterical "OPRAH!"'s. The mass hysteria when she 'gives' something to the audience.

These women cannot think for themselves, and love to be told what to read, buy, and think.

Reading a book because some celebrity says you should and you want to be part of that 'special' group is pretty near as bad as not reading at all.

I"m sure there will be many on this board who will strongly disagree.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:24 PM   #41
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I don't think it was a stupid reason at all. Look at her audience. The slack-jawed adoration. The near hysterical "OPRAH!"'s. The mass hysteria when she 'gives' something to the audience.

These women cannot think for themselves, and love to be told what to read, buy, and think.

Reading a book because some celebrity says you should and you want to be part of that 'special' group is pretty near as bad as not reading at all.

I"m sure there will be many on this board who will strongly disagree.
You should watch Martha. It's funny- the difference in viewers. The different responses to getting free kindle's is a good example.

It is scary though the amount of power that woman (Oprah) holds. Like when she told people not to eat beef and beef sales dropped like 30% or something crazy like that?
Old 12-25-2008, 01:29 PM   #42
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
You should watch Martha. It's funny- the difference in viewers. The different responses to getting free kindle's is a good example.

It is scary though the amount of power that woman (Oprah) holds. Like when she told people not to eat beef and beef sales dropped like 30% or something crazy like that?
I actually like Martha. I can't do anything she does, don't have the talent or patience, but I enjoy watching her do it. Course, it helps when there is a boatload of 'helpers and staff' in the background doing the mule work...
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:32 PM   #43
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I actually like Martha. I can't do anything she does, don't have the talent or patience, but I enjoy watching her do it. Course, it helps when there is a boatload of 'helpers and staff' in the background doing the mule work...
I love when she gets frustrated with people. She is not very good live AT ALL. But I still love her. I just watch everything she does and say, "Wow, she is so smart, I should try that!" but I never do.

Best guest ever: Amy Sedaris. Seriously, I think I peed my pants watching that episode. It's on youtube, you must watch it (also, Amy's cookbook/entertaining book "I Like You" is one of the funniest things I've ever read).
Old 12-25-2008, 02:02 PM   #44
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There's certainly nothing unique or unusual in people doing or buying something because a celebrity endorses it. It's not necessarily a bad thing, either... unless the celebrity simply endorses whatever piece of c**p they are paid to push, and the consumer blindly accepts their opinion as genuine and trustworthy (when it is, in fact, just bought).

Saying that, I can't say where Oprah fits into that category, other than that she certainly doesn't have to shill products just because someone pushes a check at her... she's doing all right. But does she support products out of actual appreciation, or just corporate shilling? I couldn't say. Possibly some of both.

Either way... if she wants to give away gifts, what the heck, take 'em. If she endorses a product, I can only hope people do a little bit of checking first. If they don't show the presence of mind to do at least that, especially in this day and age... good luck to 'em.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:02 AM   #45
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrunk View Post
Well, I'm still going to post here and enjoy the banter :-) - I've read a few of Oprah picks - whenever I need a good cry
Hm. When I need a good cry, I just check my 401K balance...
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote